Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2015 10:41:29 PM EDT
I have a kit that came from a brand new (unfired) Yugo 556 underfolder.  The entire front end of the gun is intact, including the original barrel, still in factory grease.

I ordered an NDS finished receiver for it.  Now I just need the right builder (last builders I tried to use were Gary Gucciano - who got my kit from Mike Pruit.  Bad deals).

From my informal search, many builders seem to charge about $300 to $400 for this service.

Is there anything special about Yugo underfolders that some AK builders would have trouble with?

I remember seeing a site by a builder in the mid-west who had a German theme (maybe his dad had been a gunsmith in Germany?).

Suggestions/recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You could contact Two Rivers Arms.  They specialize in Yugo pattern rifles, to include under folders.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Ken Kubin. Global Military Gunsmithing in MI
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Mario at POHF would be another great choice, very highly regarded and has a ton of experience with Yugos.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks - you guys are quick!

I've just checked out the sites for those builders - impressive.  It is exactly the info I'm looking for.

One more question (if you know): I have the NDS receiver; its transferred to me I my name.  Since I own the gun and all parts, I know I can send it directly to the gunsmith I choose.  

But what about return to me?  Does it go through the FFL a second time?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]
You can check out Chris Butler at AK-USA

His fees aren't cheap but his work is second to none.

[email protected]

(239) 334-4231

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks - you guys are quick!

I've just checked out the sites for those builders - impressive.  It is exactly the info I'm looking for.

One more question (if you know): I have the NDS receiver; its transferred to me I my name.  Since I own the gun and all parts, I know I can send it directly to the gunsmith I choose.  

But what about return to me?  Does it go through the FFL a second time?
View Quote

it's a "repair" so yes, they send it directly to you, at least that's how I understand it.

Another vote for Two Rivers. Those guys really know the Yugo

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If the front end is intact finish it off your self. The only thing your probably missing is a press, and harbor freight has some cheap ones.  Use the money you would spend on having someone else build it and buy tools, then watch YouTube and read weapons guild.

If the barrel is already pressed and head spaced,  and your marginal to good you can weld it up, no press needed.  I have 4 welded builds that have several thousands of rounds through them each with zero issues.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If the barrel is already pressed and head spaced,  and your marginal to good you can weld it up, no press needed.  I have 4 welded builds that have several thousands of rounds through them each with zero issues.
View Quote

Sounds great for a bubba build, The kit he has w/original barrel are not a dime a dozzen!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Two rivers - had 2 yugos worked on by them they rock

AK-USA chris butler built a AMD 65 for me - amazing as well

Randy Kline at Sledgehammer Arms Works - has built multiple guns for me, and does great AK work, his prices may be a little better. He built a 5.56 yugo for me years ago.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I still kick myself for not ordering one of those kits when they were in; I figured there would be plenty of time.  With the availability of the Yugo 5.56 metal magazines these days you're going to be set with one of the coolest variants around.

Congratulations to you and please post pics when the build is complete!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mario at POHF would be another great choice, very highly regarded and has a ton of experience with Yugos.
View Quote

+1 for Mario, he built mine and I am really pleased with it. It's one of my favorite shooters even though (gasp) it has no optic rail

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
+1 for Mario, he built mine and I am really pleased with it. It's one of my favorite shooters even though (gasp) it has no optic rail

http://zenphotos.net/ZenPhotos/File/Online/SVD/74UF/74UF_Left_Fold.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://zenphotos.net/ZenPhotos/File/Online/SVD/74UF/74UF_Left_Fold.JPG

An underfolder with an optics rail would be good for a laugh (excluding the Yugo optics rails designed to accommodate underfolders).

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I built my M95 on a NDS receiver in 2 days

Yugos are easy, you should give it a try.

If you were in NC you could come over with a case of beer and I would help you do it.

I should have my press out of storage next week.

Free
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:18:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Riveting is actually one of the easiest parts of doing the build. Order a couple sets of rivets, make the bolt cutter tools, and give it a shot. If you screw one or two rivets up, do it again. By the first couple you'll have it down.

If the barrel is populated, pinned, and headspaced to the trunnion, most of the annoying shit is already done. A press isn't even needed to install the barrel, just tap the barrel into the trunnion with a good set of brass pieces to act as non-marring buffers against the muzzle, and use the carrier to support the trunnion. You can support the tail end of the carrier with a brass collar threaded to a short length of pipe.

That being said if you can spare the few hundred bucks and just want it done, and can wait a few months, it's certainly the easiest, but the satisfaction of having done it yourself won't be there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Another vote for Mario. He built my virgin M92 kit on a NDS

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks again all, for the info and the pics.  I have thought it over.  

I ve weighed the idea of: built it myself vs. farm out the work.

In true Arfcom fashion, I decided: get both!

I have an original Bulgy 5.45 plum kit I will build on a home-built receiver in 2016.  Not sure how to handle heat-treating yet, but I bought a bunch of tools from a local builder who got out of building a while back.

This Yugo kit was a gift from a good friend, and it's in such excellent condition, I want to have it built perfectly.  I've also heard the Yugos are the most accurate 556 AKs  (next to the Polish Archer) and I don't want to screw up this barreled trunion.

I'm close to choosing a builder from those suggested.   Thanks again guys.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top