Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 6:04:17 PM EDT
I am trying to purchase a Mak-90 but neither he or I know if it has a Bayo lug. I live in a communist state so I cant have a bayo lug. There is a piece of metal in the front that looks like a square with a slit in it. It does not look ground off or anything like that in the pictures. I thought Maks didn't have Bayo lugs. Any thoughts? I have nothing to compare it to.

ETA: Heres exactly what it looks like. First and second picture.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=426608

Thanks!

Riese
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am trying to purchase a Mak-90 but neither he or I know if it has a Bayo lug. I live in a communist state so I cant have a bayo lug. There is a piece of metal in the front that looks like a square with a slit in it. It does not look ground off or anything like that in the pictures. I thought Maks didn't have Bayo lugs. Any thoughts? I have nothing to compare it to.

ETA: Heres exactly what it looks like. First and second picture.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=426608

Thanks!

Riese

That is exactly what a bayo lug looks like after it has been ground off.  You're all set if that is what the rifle looks like.  The idea of the bayo lug is to be able to attach a bayonet (which I'm sure you knew).  The lug doesn't have to be ground all the way down to the barrel.  As long as enough is cut off to prevent attachment of the bayonet, that is what matters.  You will be happy with your Mak-90.  The Chinese make quality, durable, reliable AK's.  That's not true of a lot of other crap they make.  I have a couple of the Polytech post-ban AK's but I've put in enough U.S. parts to get a pistol grip for it.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That is exactly what a bayo lug looks like after it has been ground off.  

WRONG

That is not from the bayonet lug being ground down.

Chinese AKMs came in 3 flavors regarding bayonets before the 89 import ban.

1 standard AKM lug for a modern type bayonet.

2 standard AK lug (Type III milled) but on the stamped reciever. (Think Poly barrel assemblies floating around the for sale stuff lately)

3 cruciform bayonets.

The type III bayonets lock on to the front sight block, not to the gas block. The gas block merely has a loop for the cleaning rod and the rear of the bayonet handle simply slips over the barrel and rests on the front of the gas block.

The cruciform bayonets fold like an SKS bayonet. They had the cleaning rod loop like the type III BUT it was cut in half as to make clearance for the bayonet when folded. This is what you have. Your gas block is untouched, originally made for an under folding bayonet. Your FSB is not a match for this. If you bought the under folding bayonet FSB that is being sold on GB by PARS Inc then you would have the proper setup for the gas block. The gun (if correct) would also have a small notch cut out of the lower hand guard retainer (the metal part) and the hand guard would be relieved as well.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]
So you are saying that in its correct configuration as long as I do not switch out the current FSB then it is in "post ban" configuration? By law it does not matter if it can be converted to pre-ban config just cant be in it.

Quoted:

Quoted:

WRONG

2 standard AK lug (Type III milled) but on the stamped reciever. (Think Poly barrel assemblies floating around the for sale stuff lately)

3 cruciform bayonets.

The type III bayonets lock on to the front sight block, not to the gas block. The gas block merely has a loop for the cleaning rod and the rear of the bayonet handle simply slips over the barrel and rests on the front of the gas block.

The cruciform bayonets fold like an SKS bayonet. They had the cleaning rod loop like the type III BUT it was cut in half as to make clearance for the bayonet when folded. This is what you have. Your gas block is untouched, originally made for an under folding bayonet. Your FSB is not a match for this. If you bought the under folding bayonet FSB that is being sold on GB by PARS Inc then you would have the proper setup for the gas block. The gun (if correct) would also have a small notch cut out of the lower hand guard retainer (the metal part) and the hand guard would be relieved as well.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoops!  Well, the post-ban Polytech I have looks like that.  My mistake.  

If you aren't posting here already, please do so.  You know your stuff.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am Elliot308 on that board
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So you are saying that in its correct configuration as long as I do not switch out the current FSB then it is in "post ban" configuration? By law it does not matter if it can be converted to pre-ban config just cant be in it.

Quoted:

Quoted:

WRONG

3 cruciform bayonets.

If your concern is complying with a state that has a current HDR ban then you are fine. There is no bayo lug on that rifle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am Elliot308 on that board

Cool.

ETA:  I'm C-4 over there as well.  Not that it matters since I don't know shit anyway.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top