Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2009 6:56:04 AM EDT
Ok, Im looking at different folding stocks for my Wasr.

I think I have narrowed it down to either the Romanian side folder, or an Ace side folder.

So if I could get some opinions and info on these 2 stocks I would appreciate it.

A few things Im wondering about the Ace,

Is it possible to set it up to fold either, left or right? (I know it wont fold both directions in one configuration.)

Will it clear side mounted optics or the optics rail (w/o optic mounted) when folded left?

Can you actuate the safety and charging handle if its folded to the right?

Im guessing the Romanian will clear the safety and charging handle while folded?

thanks,

Link Posted: 12/11/2009 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im guessing the Romanian will clear the safety and charging handle while folded?

You can operate both with the stock folded.

Link Posted: 12/11/2009 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Trust me on this; I've got 3 U/F AKMs (wicked looking as all get out and love the looks), and I once had an FNC S/Folder, Uzi folder carbine, and Sterling MK6 semi carbine with U/F stock...

But by far and away, IMHO; the Romy/EGerman S/Folder is THE BEST and EASIEST to operate, the hands-down winner in full-on mil-spec folding stocks.

Flick one lever with slight downward pressure and rock your wrist to the right as you hold the rifle pistol grip - gravity snaps it into folded/locked position on right - where you can still operate bolt, safety, and mag release.

Need to open it into extended position? One gentle push of lever and rock wrist to left; stock swings back and locks into extended position.

It can't get any easier to operate, try a FAL/FNC sidefolder, Sterling, Uzi. Those commies knew how to make something simple that works.

A simple para-cord warp brings comfort to the steel itself.

Don't waste you cash on anything but the original no-gunsmithing-required real-deal steel Romy S/Folder and you will be happy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Trust me on this; I've got 3 U/F AKMs (wicked looking as all get out and love the looks), and I once had an FNC S/Folder, Uzi folder carbine, and Sterling MK6 semi carbine with U/F stock...

But by far and away, IMHO; the Romy/EGerman S/Folder is THE BEST and EASIEST to operate, the hands-down winner in full-on mil-spec folding stocks.

Flick one lever with slight downward pressure and rock your wrist to the right as you hold the rifle pistol grip - gravity snaps it into folded/locked position on right - where you can still operate bolt, safety, and mag release.

Need to open it into extended position? One gentle push of lever and rock wrist to left; stock swings back and locks into extended position.

It can't get any easier to operate, try a FAL/FNC sidefolder, Sterling, Uzi. Those commies knew how to make something simple that works.

A simple para-cord warp brings comfort to the steel itself.

Don't waste you cash on anything but the original no-gunsmithing-required real-deal steel Romy S/Folder and you will be happy.

I'm interested in these as well, but can't seem to find one. Know anyone that has them available?
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got one from apex gun parts for $50.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#5]
The  romy folders are nice. I prefer mine to the wood one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The Rommy/EG/Polish side folders rock.  If you can get a Polish Tantal stock go for it.  Otherwise the Rommy will do.  I don't see enough +'s to justifty the cost of the EG over the Rommy.  The Tantal stock however is better/stronger design.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Rommy/EG/Polish side folders rock.  If you can get a Polish Tantal stock go for it.  Otherwise the Rommy will do.  I don't see enough +'s to justifty the cost of the EG over the Rommy.  The Tantal stock however is better/stronger design.

I thought the tantal stock was the same design as the romy..
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the tantal stock was the same design as the romy..

The Romanian side folder may be slightly different. Either the EG or the Tantal (or perhaps both) use the underside of the front part of the stock block as a pressure point for the forward end of the release lever.
If your rifle uses the late production "forked" stock block (which has three rivets [two in front, one in the rear] instead of two) the stocks which use the stock block as a pressure point won't work unless you fabricate something to fill the empty space in the stock block.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any experience with the Polish, but I do have both E.German and Romanian folders.

The EG is straight while the Romanian is slightly canted toward the left side of the weapon for right-handed shooters.  This allows a more natural sight alignment.

I much prefer the Romanian over the EG.  They "look" the same, but feel totally different.

OTOH . Left handed shooters might have more problems with the Romanian due to this cant.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The EG is straight while the Romanian is slightly canted toward the left side of the weapon for right-handed shooters.  This allows a more natural sight alignment.

Do you have a push button Romanian folder? Not all Romanian lever folders are offset. Mine is centered. I bought it instead of a pushbutton because it's centered and I shoot from the left shoulder.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Both my EG and Rom have the lever.  The EG is brand new (shiny paint and all) and cost better than twice what the Rom did.  

The Rom is parkerized and looks considerably worn, but functions great and matches the finish on my ROMAK quite well.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top