Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 9:30:48 AM EDT
Is the Romanian 75 round drum better than the Chinese made drum ?

What are the differences ?

Are there any other drums that are better ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Chinese are easiest to load, but rattle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Russian drums are nice, but I haven't seen any for sale in this country.
Romanian are loaded like a 30-round box mag. This is a PITA if you're loading several drums..
Chineese are loaded via the back opening up like a can, then you turn a key to wind the spring inside. The latter is much better on the loading finger, faster, and because you need to wind it after loading you can keep the mags full without the springs being compressed. Although they do rattle, unlike the romanian ones, due to all the moving parts inside, not much of an issue unless you're planning to be sneaking/stalking with it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry a little off topic, but if you bought a Romy 75rnd drum and say loaded it with just 55-65rnds would it be ok to leave it like that for extended periods of time? WOuld not loading to capacity alleviate spring tension Thanks for the info and sorry to wander off topic!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, and good question County.

While I doubt I will be doing much "sneaking", the rattle of the Chinese drum would probably bother me more than loading individual rounds into the Romanian drum.....I'm interested in hearing if people have had success with retaining spring strength in partially loaded Romanian drums.

Another similar question: How do the Bulgarian Waffle magazines perform and "hold up" ? I've seen several places where these magazines can be had relatively cheap.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Synthetic magazines, AK mags especially, hold up very well (Soft Orelites don't last nearly as long, as the AK mags have reinforcing metal in them. You'll see it when the mags get some wear).

You can load any mag and leave it fully loaded for as long as you want. Any mil-spec mag at the least (I'm sure there are some sub-par quality springs out there, but I doubt you'll ever see ONE).
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=242143
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the Chinese drums because the are much easier to load than the Romanian and Russian drums.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top