BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/10/2009 6:11:04 PM EDT
So I bought this MAK 90 back in December. It had this stock on it and appeared to have never been fired.

I picked it up and set out to deban it.

The first order of business was to sell the crappy stock set...

...and order some new laminated wood from Ironwood Designs... which took me about a month and a half to get!

The next order of business was to get that barrel threaded! Tapco

It has been pointed out that Chinese AK's don't usually have threaded muzzles, but it was something that I wanted so I did it.

A buddy of mine had a threading die so he cut the threads for me... Muzzle Brake Die

As you can see I need to drill in the plunger on the FSB to keep the brake from unscrewing!

Here's the stock mocked up on the rifle!

Next week I'll order my new trigger from Red Star Arms so I can complete the debanning process....

... and later on this week I will get started on staining the wood. I've talked to Clandestine about the method that he used to do Veronika and I think I'll use that method. I'll keep ya'll posted on the project!

- Clint

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:37:59 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks great!  Put a finish on that wood asap or dirt and grime will penetrate.

FYI, every Chinese rifle that I've ever seen made before 1990 had a threaded barrel and a few post 1990s have threaded barrels. Part of the 1989 gun grab bill forced them to remove the threads because they are too dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It looks great!  Put a finish on that wood asap or dirt and grime will penetrate.

QFT
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT

Yeah, I took those pics immediatly after fitting the stock to the gun. I have all of the supplies to stain the stock at work. I'll take pics throughout the process and post them here!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I am working on the same progect but with a milled mak90 and I am putting a folding bayonet FSB on it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am working on the same progect but with a milled mak90 and I am putting a folding bayonet FSB on it.

Yeah, I looked and looked but all I could find was $300 FSB's with folding bayonets on them. If I was willing to spend that on a FSB, I would just assume buy a Polytech, LOL....

If I could find a FSB like the top one in this picture, I could weld on one of those bolt on bayonets...

... anybody have one?

- Clint

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
This is my debanned MAK90

I used american walnut finish for the wood.  It is ironwood, and I opted for the walnut not laminate.  This also was an angle cut capped receiver so it took a bit of pounding to get that cap off and I had to shave the weld off the inside of the trunnion.  Added a us grip, tapco trigger group, a us gas piston, and an ak74 buttplate and cleaning kit.  I wanted to add a bayonet but couldn't find one that was in that good of condition.  Excellent job on the barrel threading.  I wish I had that opportunity.

Edit: I also put a romanian upper receiver on it because I like the look better. I was just going for looks...

Fun isn't it?

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is my debanned MAK90

I used american walnut finish for the wood.  It is ironwood, and I opted for the walnut not laminate.  This also was an angle cut capped receiver so it took a bit of pounding to get that cap off and I had to shave the weld off the inside of the trunnion.  Added a us grip, tapco trigger group, a us gas piston, and an ak74 buttplate and cleaning kit.  I wanted to add a bayonet but couldn't find one that was in that good of condition.  Excellent job on the barrel threading.  I wish I had that opportunity.

Edit: I also put a romanian upper receiver on it because I like the look better. I was just going for looks...

Fun isn't it?

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/neawalker/IMG_2914.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/neawalker/gunstock.jpg

Man that's a good lookin rifle!

I almost got some walnut too but decided I would get walnut when I do my Yugo....

I'm actually looking for one of the MAK 90's with the underfolder stock holes, so I can convert that next!

- Clint

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I looked and looked but all I could find was $300 FSB's with folding bayonets on them. If I was willing to spend that on a FSB, I would just assume buy a Polytech, LOL....

If I could find a FSB like the top one in this picture, I could weld on one of those bolt on bayonets...
http://i42.tinypic.com/35849hl.jpg

... anybody have one?

- Clint

I paid alot for the underfolding bayo FSB but I figure with a milled rec. I'll have a poor mans Polytech Legend when I'm done
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]
nice rifles guys,  alaskacajun, thats some really nice furniture on the mak congrats.   so many stains to choose from when i did my mak, finally decided on red mahogany, and also just finished up my 2nd thumbhole stock.   alaskacajun cant wait for the finish product,  lets see some pics

heres mine
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
nice rifles guys,  alaskacajun, thats some really nice furniture on the mak congrats.   so many stains to choose from when i did my mak, finally decided on red mahogany, and also just finished up my 2nd thumbhole stock.   alaskacajun cant wait for the finish product,  lets see some pics

heres mine
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/cz527nnorinco009.jpg

Thanks 671ar, that's a nice rifle... I'm gonna stain mine with either a cherry stain that I already had from another AK project or the Minwax Red Oak 215 that Clandestine used... but I haven't decided yet!

One of my co-workers is stripping the finish off of his Romy right now. We are gonna stain them at the same time...

I'll keep this thread updated with pics!

Thanks for the replies guys!

- Clint

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#12]
If you buy a bulgarian ak-47 fsb with the clean rod holder it comes with the detent hole, a spring and a dremeled nail bit is all you need to make your own spring and detent.

www.k-varcorp.com or www.armsof america should have those ak-47 fsb, they are not chinese, but work and look just the same.

This could be the one check your fsb hole spacing......................

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16354&cat=290&page=1

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I started the process of staining the wood tonight. I sanded it all by hand with some 220 then some 600 grit sand paper.

Clandestine told me to use some red food color to stain the wood, so I did...

The stain color I chose is "Sedona Red 222" by Minwax.

Right now the wood is sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be washed and dried.

Tomorrow I'll start staining the wood. I guess it's pretty apparent what color I'm going for....

(this is just food coloring)

I'll post more tomorrow!

- Clint

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Just washed off the food coloring....

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#15]

I took this one right before I stained the inside of the handguards!

Here's the finished product.... now I think it's ready for Poly!

I know the pics make the color seem uneven but I think that's just the effect of the flash... it actually looks perfect in the sunlight!

- Clint

Link Posted: 2/15/2009 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Here they are with about 5 coats of Poly... I found out that the top handguard was cracked in 2 places so I Epoxied them back together and instaled them on the gastube to dry and cure. These pictures don't do the finish any justice. The grain is filling in and they are starting to shine!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://i44.tinypic.com/34rjg5c.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/qy7chu.jpg

I took this one right before I stained the inside of the handguards!

http://i42.tinypic.com/vngvmc.jpg

Here's the finished product.... now I think it's ready for Poly!

I know the pics make the color seem uneven but I think that's just the effect of the flash... it actually looks perfect in the sunlight!

http://i39.tinypic.com/1pbjag.jpg

- Clint

Clint,

The way you did that is Exactly how I did the wood on Veronica. You project is coming along nicely

Just take you time in building up the poly finish. It wil take a good amount of coats to get it right.

Whenevr I have experienced any cracking with my woood on my rifles I use Superglue. When you use superglue it really penetrates the wood fibers and bonds things well. Expoxy works good as well but dosent penetrate the wood as well.

Keep us posted Clint. Shes gonna be a looker
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks dood...

About every 3 or 4 hours I go in there and sand a little, then put on another coat. If I keep it up at this rate I figure I'll have it finished by next winter!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]

8 coats I think.... i'm starting to lose count, but the grain is starting to fill in nicely!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://i39.tinypic.com/dgm42x.jpg

8 coats I think.... i'm starting to lose count, but the grain is starting to fill in nicely!

- Clint

Clint, thats looking damn good.

Have you tracked down a buttplate,trap door and butttplate screws? If not this should fit:
K-Var Butt Plate Set

Chad
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah Chad, I got one locally!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah Chad, I gopt one locally!

- Clint

Sweet!

One thing I forgot to mention is the Ironwood pistol grips lack a steel bushing at the bottom where the pistol grip screw head rests. Without some kind of bushing the pistol grip will crack when the pistol grip screw is tightened or under recoil. I used a washer and blued it. I then Epoxied it into the recess to keep everything from cracking.

You may have already figured this out but I thought I would throw that out there.

Are you happy with the color?
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

Sweet!

One thing I forgot to mention is the Ironwood pistol grips lack a steel bushing at the bottom where the pistol grip screw head rests. Without some kind of bushing the pistol grip will crack when the pistol grip screw is tightened or under recoil. I used a washer and blued it. I then Epoxied it into the recess to keep everything from cracking.

You may have already figured this out but I thought I would throw that out there.

Actually all I had available to me was the longer Chinese bolt so I added 4 washers and epoxied those in there to lengthen and strengthen the pistol grip. It worked great!

I love the color BTW. I sat there looking at all the options and even had the color you used in my hand at one point, but wanted to go a little darker. I saw the "Sedona" color and it was only a shade darker so I went with it. I think it looks badass on the rifle! I need to polish my bolt, but I digress......

I ended up paying $1 for the buttplate, and all the screws for the stock and the buttplate!

- Clint

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

Sweet!

Actually all I had available to me was the longer Chinese bolt so I added 4 washers and epoxied those in there to lengthen and strengthen the pistol grip. It worked great!

I love the color BTW. I sat there looking at all the options and even had the color you used in my hand at one point, but wanted to go a little darker. I saw the "Sedona" color and it was only a shade darker so I went with it. I think it looks badass on the rifle! I need to polish my bolt, but I digress......

I ended up paying $1 for the buttplate, and all the screws for the stock and the buttplate!

- Clint

Good deal on the Buttplate Clint.

Im glad you like the color. You can control the intensity of the red by applying more stain in between coats of poly.

Its lookin great

Im not sure what it costs to send something from AK to MD but if you want I can polish your bolt for you if you want. No charge buddy, just cover return shipping. Youve been very kind, and always gone out of your way to compliment my work. If you take up my offer you can send it to the shop I work for (FFL).  I can polish up your RSA trigger kit too for more consistent function.

Take care man. Keep us updated on your AK

Chad
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Chad that's pretty nice of you to offer that... I may even take you up on it...

I got to 13 coats tonight... here's the progress!

I would have given up long ago, but "Veronika" keeps me going! I finally got all the major ripples out and am starting to get to the point where I think I can start the finishing process! Thanks again for all your help!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Small update, I have 14 coats of Poly on today and am about to put 15 on in a few minutes... here's what it looked like this morning mocked up on the rifle!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Small update, I have 14 coats of Poly on today and am about to put 15 on in a few minutes... here's what it looked like this morning mocked up on the rifle!

http://i41.tinypic.com/2epr80w.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2h8ak50.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/1zydo5j.jpg

- Clint

Your not so jealous of my AK anymore are you?

Outsanding work Clint! Its Beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess you could say that I'm starting to like mine... .

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Clint,

Is she done yet?

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#31]
It's pretty much done... I sanded and Poly'd it for the last time yesterday. I'm gonna let it dry for a week or so and then I'll put it back together and take some pics.

I scored 20 Chinese flatback mags to go along with it yesterday as well!

I have a bid on Gunbroker on a Bulgarian FSB to replace the plungerless Chicom one that's on there. I also finally ordered my Red Star Arms trigger last night, so I figure at least a week before it's close to complete!

Thanks for your help Chad...

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's pretty much done... I sanded and Poly'd it for the last time yesterday. I'm gonna let it dry for a week or so and then I'll put it back together and take some pics.

I scored 20 Chinese flatback mags to go along with it yesterday as well!

I have a bid on Gunbroker on a Bulgarian FSB to replace the plungerless Chicom one that's on there. I also finally ordered my Red Star Arms trigger last night, so I figure at least a week before it's close to complete!

Thanks for your help Chad...

- Clint

Anytime my friend. Dont forget to post some pics when your all done.

If you decide to send me the bolt and trigger kit to polish just shoot me a message and Ill send you my FFL address. You dont owe me a thing.

Chad

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I may take you up on the offer Chad, I've messed with it a few times and it seems like a lot of work getting it buffed out by hand!

Here's where I am today... My other camera is dead in the water for the moment, so when the battery charges I'll take some better pics.

This project was fun, I'm very pleased with the end result, so far. I can't wait to get the FSB changed out and my new RSA trigger installed so I can go out and heat this sucker up!

All my Chicom mags...
Yes.... they are still covered in colmoline!

My 4 Polytech chrome follower mags...

My camera is acting up, I'll have to let it charge and take some better pix tomorrow...

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I may take you up on the offer Chad, I've messed with it a few times and it seems like a lot of work getting it buffed out by hand!

Here's where I am today... My other camera is dead in the water for the moment, so when the battery charges I'll take some better pics.

This project was fun, I'm very pleased with the end result, so far. I can't wait to get the FSB changed out and my new RSA trigger installed so I can go out and heat this sucker up!

http://i41.tinypic.com/kccd5g.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/juuvrl.jpg
All my Chicom mags...
Yes.... they are still covered in colmoline!

http://i40.tinypic.com/2r56fbr.jpg
My 4 Polytech chrome follower mags...

http://i41.tinypic.com/1fbfh4.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/zvy069.jpg

My camera is acting up, I'll have to let it charge and take some better pix tomorrow...

- Clint

Clint,

That is FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!

Now Im jealous. My fixed stock AK sports Plum Furniture, and it looks like a TURD compared to yours.

Excellent work there dude.

Just let me know if you decide to send the bolt. Ill need the RSA Hammer, and RSA Trigger, Bolt carrier, and assembled Bolt Head.
Heres what I do to the AK's that we service (nothing is ground, only polished):
Polish Floating Firing Pin (gives stronger Primer Strikes, and prevents Slam Fires)
Polish Underside of Bolt Carrier, Bottom of the Bolt Head (Prevents shaving of rounds in the mag and, reduces Hammer Hangup)
Polish Extractor Face (allows rounds to slip inside the bolt head easier for better feeing and extraction)
Polish Visable areas of the bolt (Looks)
Polish hammer face and (reduces carrier drag)
Polish trigger spring rests (smoother trigger pull)

Cost to my friend $0

Chad
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks Chad... couldn't have done it without your help!

But I don't care what you say, your UF is ballin' out of control...

- Clint

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks Chad... couldn't have done it without your help!

But I don't care what you say, your UF is ballin' out of control...

- Clint

http://i44.tinypic.com/2rfwina.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2urrqx4.jpg

You gonna put optics on your MAK?

I put this scope rail on my fixed stock NHM91 : Screw in AK Side Rail

Scroll down to: AK Rifle Side Rail for Scope Mount $25.00

It works very good and you can do it at home. Its a solid mount. You can use any std AK side rail with this setup.

If thay company dont have that one you can get this screw in mount here:$50 Screw in Side Rail
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't think I will.... I don't know, I think I really like it just the way it is..... but you never know about me!

I'm on a mission to find a decent deal on a PSL, they keep popping up around here but every one I've seen has a warped stock...

A gun dealer told me he thought they came like that so it puts you inline with the scope. What does yours look like?

When you view the bottom of the rifle while it's leaning against the wall the stock bends to the right... I've seen this on at least 3 PSL's locally!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't think I will.... I don't know, I think I really like it just the way it is..... but you never know about me!

I'm on a mission to find a decent deal on a PSL, they keep popping up around here but every one I've seen has a warped stock...

A gun dealer told me he thought they came like that so it puts you inline with the scope. What does yours look like?

When you view the bottom of the rifle while it's leaning against the wall the stock bends to the right... I've seen this on at least 3 PSL's locally!

- Clint

Theres nothing wrong with a iron sighted AK. I was just wondering if you had any more plans for it. Its a fine looking weapon now.

The dealer isnt making things up. For some reason most Yugo SKS's, Romy PSL's and various wood stocked AK's have "cast off" or a bend in the buttstock. Its ODD. My PSL and Yugo SKS has it. Im not sure what causes it but I have yet to see one break or cause shooting problems.

His assumption about putting you inline with the scope might be right but I havent seen that confirmed in any literature about PSL's yet. Im always digging for mauuals and literature for my military guns. My wife says I have issues , but she still loves me

Im sorry my pics are straining your wallet, but you cant fight the need to have them can you? Its addictive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I just never noticed it.... Have you ever seen a PSL with a straight stock?

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice looking rifle you got there. I'm not really a fan of AK rifles but they are certainly growing on me. I really enjoyed the before and after pics as well. All the AK and SKS rifles look better with wood furniture.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the comment!

I used to have several AK variants... then I bought my first AR. I ended up selling all of my AK stuff by 2000... then I started wanting another AK last year, and figured I would get one similar to the first one I ever had... this has been a really fun project! I'm not quite done but it's sure starting to look like what I had envisioned!

I'm starting to look at more AK stuff again that's for sure.

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#42]
That looks outstanding!  Where did you get the butt plate.  I converted mine years ago and it still has a bare butt.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#43]
sweet looking rifle alaska
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That looks outstanding!  Where did you get the butt plate.  I converted mine years ago and it still has a bare butt.

He got his locally. K-Var has the buttplate and trap dor assembly. Its like $20. I linked one in this thread above in case Clint needed one.

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#45]

I bought the butt plate locally for a $1...

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#46]
You're a bad man!  This has me wanting to buy a ban-era MAK90 and transform it into something beautiful like yours.  How hard would you rate the process?

Thanks
Nick
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You're a bad man!  This has me wanting to buy a ban-era MAK90 and transform it into something beautiful like yours.  How hard would you rate the process?

Thanks
Nick

Relatively simple... the FCG was easy, the wood staining went well with Clandestine's instructions...

I have a gas block on order and I just received my FSB to complete the process. I'll have to reblue these but I'm almost finished!

I would say the wait for all the parts is the hardest part of the project!

- Clint

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Cajun, where did you find the gas block?

still need that banged up FSB for practice?  

Damn UPS ground takes damn long to ship my  tiny item
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Cajun, where did you find the gas block?

still need that banged up FSB for practice?  

Damn UPS ground takes damn long to ship my  tiny item

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123792670

I got it on gunbroker... if you watch it long enough you come across them!

I may still be interested in the FSB... I'll send you a PM!

- Clint

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Clint,

I got your parts today. Ill do them up tomorrow hopefully if things arent crazy at the shop.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » Chinese
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top