Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/23/2010 4:25:47 PM EDT
I know everyone talks about there being a pin or something in the front sight that holds the muzzle brake on or something! Mine doesnt have a compensator or anything and not pin thingy! I am getting the barrel threaded soon and putting a compensator on, am I gona need that pin thing? Here are picks of what Im talking about? Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, at least you FSB already has the hole, unlike my MAKs.  You can get the pin and spring for just a few bucks from quite a few places that have AK parts.  I think CNC Warrior has them for 3 or 4 dollars.  The front pin of the FSB has to be removed to install the detent spring and pin but that is about it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you are missing your pin thingy.  When you get one and go to install it, make sure it smoothly and freely goes in and out of the hole (sand off any burrs on the pin, clean out the hole before inserting the pin.  Take an appropriately sized drill bit, and insert it BY HAND and twirl it around to catch any metal shaving/gunk in there.  Stick a magnet on the back of the drill bit so that it will grab any little remaining metal fragments as you pull the drill bit out.  My pin thingy has a nasty habit of going in, but then failing to come out.  It gets really stuck in there.  Last time it was REALLY stuck and nothing I could do at home could pry that little devil out.  After a couple dozen shots are the range it finally popped out due to the rifles recoil.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
delete ... duplicate
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
From your picture it looks like the barrel has been turned down from what is needed to thread to 14x1.  If it has you will need it threaded to 1/2 x 28 AR 15 threads.  As mentioned, you need to drive out the front retaining pin on the base to install the muzzle device detent.  A good tool to do this with is a small nail set that can be found at Lowe's or any other similar retailer.  I have used many other things for this and have never found anything better.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From your picture it looks like the barrel has been turned down from what is needed to thread to 14x1.  If it has you will need it threaded to 1/2 x 28 AR 15 threads.  As mentioned, you need to drive out the front retaining pin on the base to install the muzzle device detent.  A good tool to do this with is a small nail set that can be found at Lowe's or any other similar retailer.  I have used many other things for this and have never found anything better.

What do you mean turned down? I was planning on threading it the standard 14x1 because thats what the compensator is that I ordered! Is that gona be a problem? Thanks for the help thus far!
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean turned down? I was planning on threading it the standard 14x1 because thats what the compensator is that I ordered! Is that gona be a problem? Thanks for the help thus far!

Measure the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle. IIRC it must be at least .550 to thread 14x1.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Measure the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle. IIRC it must be at least .550 to thread 14x1.

Diameter, the distance around the outside of the barrel?

Link Posted: 4/23/2010 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Diameter is the distance across the barrel - from one side of the muzzle end to the other side of the muzzle end straight across.  Circumference would be the distance around the barrel.

However, it appears your barrel's muzzle has not been turned down.  It looks like it's the same thickness as the rest of the barrel.  It's simply a typical Chinese Type 56 military-style barrel that's not had the muzzle threaded.  But the front sight base is the type for a muzzle that has been threaded - whether the previous owner swapped out the original front sight base or it came like that from the factory due to a shortage of parts to get the rifle assembled and shipped out.  

To be honest, your rifle is going to look a bit odd with the plunger pin (also called a detent pin) in the front sight base but no muzzle nut/flash hider for it to secure - especially with military-style,
non-threaded Chinese Type 56 barrel.  I'd suggest keeping it exactly the way it is and don't add the pin.  If the hole bothers you, fill it (weld, JB weld, etc.) and finish to match the color/finish of the front sight base.  

Thankfully, you have a military-style Chinese Type 56 barrel so you can dress your rifle up (in accordance with the US parts count) to look more closely to the actual Chinese military rifle.  Unfortunately, a lot of MAK-90 owners do have their original, non-threaded (or threaded) muzzles tapered down much further in width than the rest of the barrel.  And despite what some might say about the stamped receiver Type 56 rifle having both a threaded and non-threaded muzzle, even milled receiver Type 56 muzzles were made threaded and non-threaded, as well.

Here's some examples of some Type 56-1 rifles with non-threaded muzzles and no holes in the front sight base, although the full-buttstock version can be found with threaded and non-threaded muzzles:

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Diameter is the distance across the barrel - from one side of the muzzle end to the other side of the muzzle end straight across.  Circumference would be the distance around the barrel. This is correct.

SNIP

To be honest, your rifle is going to look a bit odd with the plunger pin (also called a detent pin) in the front sight base but no muzzle nut/flash hider for it to secure - especially with military-style,  
non-threaded Chinese Type 56 barrel.
SNIP

The OP's plan is to thread the barral and add a compensator.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
In the picture at least, it just looks like the barrel is turned down.  As mentioned, he just needs to measure it and then plan what he wants to do.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, the chem suited dude is great - how'd you like to greet some home invaders in that outfit? They'd kill each other trying to get back out the front door!
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anybody know where I can buy the detent pin thingy?
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Sweet! Thanks alot, Im getting excited about my Compensator coming!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top