Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/5/2012 9:48:44 AM EDT
Hey just got my SGL-31/94 and need a good mount to put on the side rail. As far as I'm concerned side rail is the only mounting choice for this rifle, nuff said there.

The red dot I've got ready for it is a Vortex Strikefire, is there any issue with co-witness from either mount with that optic?
-I know the MI is more affordable, however is the price difference saying something about the quality of either?
-are the mounting brackets themselves strong on each mount? which design is better?

I could go on with questions forever, just overall what do you think I should get?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:26:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2012 11:33:27 AM EDT by aznjunkie]
I own the RS AKM and I think it's an awesome mount. I was using a PA M3 red dot but now I'm using an Aimpoint M2. I like the fact that I can adjust the red dot to be centered over the rifle. I don't believe you can do that with the MI mount. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Get the one in your price range or the one that appeals the most to you.

Based on this post, it would appear that the Vortex Strikefire should be able to co-witness without any issues: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_56/141149_AKM_mount_and_Strike_Fire_red_green_dot_arrived.html

ETA: Some people have reported issues with the Vortex Strikefire moving with RS AKM mount. You can fix this by using a single wrap layer of electrical tape.

Here's a pic of my AK with the PA M3 on RS AKM mount

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 8:57:15 PM EDT
Azn, did that combo cowitness? I've heard conflicting reports of whether the PA M3 cowitnessed in the RS mount.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:02:03 AM EDT
ya that looks borderline
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:15:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Standard:
Azn, did that combo cowitness? I've heard conflicting reports of whether the PA M3 cowitnessed in the RS mount.

The PA M3 and RS AKM setup did not allow cowitness unless you place the rear sight really high. My Aimpoint M2 and RS AKM setup allows me to have a very low cowitness with the rear sight at the battle setting.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:44:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2012 11:45:40 PM EDT by gasitman]
I too want a new mount for my strikefire. The MI is about $30 less than the other mount. However, I have heard the same thing, it does not mount completely center.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 6:22:14 AM EDT
My .02 cents. I'm running the RS(Royally Screwed gotta love the name) mount with an Aimpoint ML2 on my SGL31. I've only shot about 500 rounds through it but, has been 100%.

I really like the windage adjustability of the mount. When test fitting, I found the dimensions on my SGL were a bit different than my SAR-1. The dovetail portion allows you to center the optic and lock it down with set screws. The mount does have two divots on the top of the mount so that you can lock the mount with set screws and drill down through the divots as well as the lower portion of the mount and then secure it with roll pins(if you plan on dedicating it to one rifle). The cam/lock portion is a solid design that looks similar to most comblock mounts

Based solely on looking at pics I think the MI mount may sit a bit higher, lacks the windage adjustability of the RS mount, but gains what is prob a more advanced locking system.

When I bought the RS, MI had yet to bring their mount to market. I still think I would go with RS since I prefer its flexibility appearance and but, I do like throw lever mount from MI. I think you would be well served with either one.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 3:21:40 PM EDT
ended up getting the MI mount, works great! I've posted pictures all over these forums
Top Top