Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2020 12:17:13 PM EDT
What happens when you shoot at a target and you don't hit it at all?

What is the best way to try and figure out your zero at that point, without using expensive ammo?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
get closer
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I pull the bolt and eyeball boresight it, can usually get first shot on an 8.5x11 this way unless the barrel is very short...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What happens when you shoot at a target and you don't hit it at all?

What is the best way to try and figure out your zero at that point, without using expensive ammo?

Thanks.

View Quote

1) Bore sight: One of the laser versions that either fit in the muzzle with a mandrel or the cartridge type ones. I do mine at ~10 yards, set the sights to the laser spot and am pretty much on paper.

2) Get closer: If you missed the target completely at 50 yards, cut the distance in half or more and figure out where your bullet actually went. Adjust at short range then move back.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I always start at about 10 yards with just a cross drawn on the paper. Zero in and then go to 50yds.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of my backstops have dirt behind them - I can aim at a small pebble and see where it lands. Doesn't work as well if ground is wet.

ETA: I have a large mountain behind the backstop; obviously you want to exercise firearm safety rules.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pull the bolt and eyeball boresight it, can usually get first shot on an 8.5x11 this way unless the barrel is very short...
View Quote

This. You can look down the barrel like an aperture sight, aim at something recognizable, compare to the sight/scope and adjust as needed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
get closer
View Quote

This works
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1) Bore sight: One of the laser versions that either fit in the muzzle with a mandrel or the cartridge type ones. I do mine at ~10 yards, set the sights to the laser spot and am pretty much on paper.

2) Get closer: If you missed the target completely at 50 yards, cut the distance in half or more and figure out where your bullet actually went. Adjust at short range then move back.
View Quote

This pretty much
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

People who don’t do this are living life the hard way.
I’ve had many rifles zeroed in 2 shots with this method.
Shooting against a grid with a good turret optic you can do it in 1 shot.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#10]
My local range has a roll of Butcher paper for use in sighting in. A large sheet with a small target for an aiming point and starting at the 25yrd range is what i suggest. Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I also pull the bolt (when possible) and boresight it first.  You want to do it at least 25 yards though, or you'll have to start compensating for the optic's height over bore.  I do mine at 50 yards, and generally that gets me on paper.  It's pretty easy to center the bore on a bullseye at that range.  You have to be really careful not to move the rifle in the rest when adjusting the turrets.  Seems obvious, but it's harder than you might think.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
get closer
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#13]
have a spotter, shoot the berm or hillside. Dirt impact creates dust and easy to spot.

We would aim for rocks on the hillside and adjust. Once close we would bring it back to the target and fine tune.

Edit: This is the poor mans quick and lazy. Laser bore siting as stated above is the right way. This technique is more on the fly out in the desert with less equipment.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's what I do but I did get real crossed up once when the shooter next to me unintentionally shot my target and I adjusted to his hole

If you have to use this method at a longer range, and/or find yourself off the paper for whatever reason, you can aim at the corners.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, make sure your sight is tightly secured to the mount, and the mount is tightly secured to the rail. I’ve seen both cause huge issues with sighting in.

After that, I completely agree get closer or eyeball the bore on some sandbags and make crude adjustments to get yourself close.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Get closer to the target.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top