Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 9:44:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doveslayer21]
i used to do 4h shot .22lr at 50ft standing, for 4yrs well i am past the age group i enjoyed it. Before i was gonna get a 9mm handgun but starting looking at ar's and decided i will like to own one. i got a good buy on a AR dpms heavy 16" barrel. yes the barrel is a little short for some long range use. but i dont have a big budget, so its right in my price range i got another thread asking about the gun so i preferred if we kept this on topic.

my location is in central texas and its hard finding a range that has a rifle setup.. (re-wording helps when using google)
style of shooting i prefer shooting at targets no rest but i can adapt to any style needed, i would prefer a scope match, but i will have a eotech that will be on the gun. so i will be range limited. until i can afford a decent scope.  

the competitions i know of is the
idpa
uspsa
nra action rifle, but cant find much info..
cant do 3 gun..
also cmp i heard that on here...

found this http://texastactical.net/matches/index.asp but how would my gun fit in. see underline for details..

also the nra has action rifle matches but cant find any info and there site is messed up some.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By doveslayer21:

i used to do 4h shot .22lr at 50ft standing, for 4yrs well i am past the age group i enjoyed it. Before i was gonna get a 9mm handgun but starting looking at ar's and decided i will like to own one. i got a good buy on a AR dpms heavy 16" barrel. yes the barrel is a little short for some long range use. but i dont have a big budget, so its right in my price range i got another thread asking about the gun so i preferred if we kept this on topic.

my location is in central texas and its hard finding a range that has a rifle setup.. (re-wording helps when using google)

style of shooting i prefer shooting at targets no rest but i can adapt to any style needed, i would prefer a scope match, but i will have a eotech that will be on the gun. so i will be range limited. until i can afford a decent scope.  

the competitions i know of is the

idpa

uspsa

nra action rifle, but cant find much info..

cant do 3 gun..

also cmp i heard that on here...

found this http://texastactical.net/matches/index.asp but how would my gun fit in. see underline for details..
View Quote

the first two are pistol matches.

NRA action rifle challenge is like a tactical/defensive fun match. Rules are pretty loose concerning weapon.  You wont find matches like that at many ranges.

3 guns out.

Theres NRA Highpower http://compete.nra.org/  and CMP highpower.. http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions.htm  rules are similar  and courses of fire and most ranges offer this competition.

the standard CMP matches and the NRA matches use a 20inch AR15A4 style rifle like this, http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/AR15A4.aspx You can use any brand, but a 20 inch barrel is the standard.

Sights A2 irons or similar is what you will be using.

Theres a ton of guys in this technical forum area that can get you in the right direction. I wanted you to post your competition questions in here.  The guys in the build section mostly refer to tactical builds, and they are not interchangeable with a competition build.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:11:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doveslayer21] [#2]
thanks i am open to anything, thats why i am hoping to find out before i buy an AR so i know what to get dont want to get something that i cant use
would my gun i might be getting, be useful in the link i provided kinda like idpa but its a rifle program? aside from it being freaking heavy... i think its 9lbs?

also i noticed nra action rifle modern AR is that the one your talking about? but cant seem to dig up any info like rules, target setup, etc... when i click on there link for it it takes me back to the same page.
http://nrasports.nra.org/# link should work..
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Try Texas CHL Forum, Someone on that board in your area will have information on matches and ranges with rifle range.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:25:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure how close it will be to you but the brazos valley pistoleros shoot a bunch of different matches. Primarily USPSA but they also do a monthly .22 match and will sometimes do a 2 or 3 gun match. Here is there web page.

You can get the contact info off of it and contact the club Pres. Kevin and he can get you all the info you need, if you want to go to a match.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

thanks i am open to anything, thats why i am hoping to find out before i buy an AR so i know what to get dont want to get something that i cant use

would my gun i might be getting, be useful in the link i provided kinda like idpa but its a rifle program? aside from it being freaking heavy... i think its 9lbs?

also i noticed nra action rifle modern AR is that the one your talking about? but cant seem to dig up any info like rules, target setup, etc... when i click on there link for it it takes me back to the same page.

http://nrasports.nra.org/# link should work..
View Quote

matches are held at clubs. Some clubs have open matches to non-members

you need to find a club to join or attend that's close to you and has the programs you want.

for instance, this is my clubs programs.  for rifle.

CMP Junior Rifle ProgramSep - MarEvery Tuesday7:00 PM
CMP High PowerJan - Oct3rd Sunday11:00 AM
NRA HighpowerApril - Nov1st Saturday9:00 AM
Pgh & Suburban

Rifle Team Match
Jan - AugEvery Wednesday7:00 PM
Antique Rifle MatchJune and NovSunday 9:30 AM
Annual Sight-In DayNovSun
9 AM - 2 PM

for pistol.

Sunday Indoor PistolJan - MarSunday12:30 - 3:30 PM
Indoor National Match CourseJan - AprilMonday7:00 PM
Outdoor National Match CourseMay - AugMonday6:00 PM
Saturday Air PistolJan - MarSaturday9:00 - 10:30 AM
Saturday Open ShootJan - MarSaturday10:30 AM to 12:30 PM
Wednesday Open ShootJan - MarWednesday12:30PM to 3:00PM
NRA Air Pistol SilhouetteJan - MarSaturday1:00 PM
NRA Outdoor Pistol SilhouetteApr - Sep4th Sat9:00 AM
Tres BandidosJune - Oct5th Wed6:00 PM

You need to find a club first.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#6]

BTW, that link you provided in the original post in the other forum, would be my last choice in AR's... even if I was just plinking. its not the right AR for you.

If you are really interested and want to invest the time, I would be really willing to guide you in the right direction, according to your budget.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
BTW, that link you provided in the original post in the other forum, would be my last choice in AR's... even if I was just plinking. its not the right AR for you.

If you are really interested and want to invest the time, I would be really willing to guide you in the right direction, according to your budget.  

View Quote

thank you i need all the help i can get, i take it if i wanted to do that shooting in the link in my op i would need a different gun?

once i find out the direction i am heading in then i will find a club and join it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#8]

thank you i need all the help i can get, i take it if i wanted to do that shooting in the link in my op i would need a different gun?
once i find out the direction i am heading in then i will find a club and join it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The problem I have with that gun is it has a polymer lower and the upper doesn't have a dust cover or a forward assist.  You may never need those items, but I would want them. That model is a cheap gun for people who don't know any better.

For that same amount of money we can help you assemble an easy to build kit with much better parts that will serve you well in your new sport. Whatever that sport is.

Once you find a club and a match. You have to go to several shoots to get a feel for whats going on.  Many clubs are super friendly and if you ask the match director for help, you will have guys begging to let you shoot their rifles and knowledge will spew from their mouths cuz they will be real excited to help out a new shooter.  Don't even take a rifle, just go and watch.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The problem I have with that gun is it has a polymer lower and the upper doesn't have a dust cover or a forward assist.  You may never need those items, but I would want them. That model is a cheap gun for people who don't know any better.

For that same amount of money we can help you assemble an easy to build kit with much better parts that will serve you well in your new sport. Whatever that sport is.

Once you find a club and a match. You have to go to several shoots to get a feel for whats going on.  Many clubs are super friendly and if you ask the match director for help, you will have guys begging to let you shoot their rifles and knowledge will spew from their mouths cuz they will be real excited to help out a new shooter.  Don't even take a rifle, just go and watch.

View Quote

thanks i would love to build one, but its my first AR as well, but hey building one you get to know how the whole thing works.. i didnt figure i can get the parts that cheap but i got a good idea , but i assume that rifle new is around 800$ the gun shop owner bought it for 637 and is wanting 650.

and this is why i ask before i go buying... my dad told me i should get it, but thats just him. i am for buying right the first time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#10]
650 sounds like a good deal but it's not the right rifle for your needs and it's going to end up being a waste of money. anyway I could build a similar quality  rifle for 500. so when you look at it that way it's not a good deal at all.

go out into the world and figure out what you want to do then revisit this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top