Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2019 9:00:32 AM EDT
I’m cross eye dominant (right handed), I think partially caused by PRK surgery. I shoot a rifle just fine with red dots, scopes, or irons.  Seems to me it’s because that rear sight or scope bell is closer to my face.  I only have shotgun issues when tracking clays from right to far left.

Handguns however are a bit of a struggle. I typically squint my left eye to get the sight picture needed.

I’ve nevet used a red dot on a handgun, wondering if folks have seen it help or make it worse?

I’m sure there’s a thread out there that I couldn’t find so I’d welcome a “here’s the link to that thing we already talked about years ago” if that’s easiest too.

Thanks all
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are left eye dominant and right handed shooting a pistol is no issue. Just move the pistol over where you can align the sights with your left eye. My wife is left eye dominant and right handed...zero issues with a pistol...with a rifle she shoots left handed
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gqllc:
If you are left eye dominant and right handed shooting a pistol is no issue. Just move the pistol over where you can align the sights with your left eye. My wife is left eye dominant and right handed...zero issues with a pistol...with a rifle she shoots left handed
View Quote
I've found the left eye squint to be more natural for me, mostly because it's what I do when shoot clays I guess.  Admittedly, I do not train enough so maybe that's an option, I'd just need to work on muscle memory.

That said, any experience with the red dot question?
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The cross-dominance issue alone is not a big deal.  With training, you'll learn to naturally align the gun behind your left eye.

The squinting is another issue entirely.

That could be a focal plane confusion issue.  If you're having to squint to get a front sight focus, you should experiment with a target focus or an intermediate focus where both the target and sights are slightly blurry.  You'll have to solve the squint habit.  You have to keep your eyes open, since you want all the visual input you can get.  Vision = power in shooting.

I think a red dot could very well help you since a red dot demands target focus all the time.  Your eyes focus on the target and the dot is only superimposed over the spot at which your eyes are focused.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By wtturn:
The cross-dominance issue alone is not a big deal.  With training, you'll learn to naturally align the gun behind your left eye.

The squinting is another issue entirely.

That could be a focal plane confusion issue.  If you're having to squint to get a front sight focus, you should experiment with a target focus or an intermediate focus where both the target and sights are slightly blurry.  You'll have to solve the squint habit.  You have to keep your eyes open, since you want all the visual input you can get.  Vision = power in shooting.

I think a red dot could very well help you since a red dot demands target focus all the time.  Your eyes focus on the target and the dot is only superimposed over the spot at which your eyes are focused.
View Quote
yeah that last part is basically what I was asking, in part because I have no problems with red dots on rifles.

The squint I describe isn't for focus, but to avoid my left eye taking over on specific types of shots.  It's a solution I've used (pretty effectively) in shotgunning to avoid 'crossing over' my vision when tracking clays from right to far left.  When they get far left and I'm swinging the gun to my left, the left eye wants to take over even though my right eye is lined down the gun.  When I slightly squint my left eye it doesn't want to take charge.  I'm probably not explaining very well lol.

Thanks, good input sir!
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have at least 6-7 red dots on my pistols.....I absolutely love them but I am not cross eye dominant so I am not much help there. My wife hasn't tried my pistols with rmr so I don't have any valuable input in regards to that
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#6]
A red dot on a pistol should help with cross eye dominance.  I do not seem to have one eye that is significantly dominant.  I end up seeing two targets if I am front sight focused with both eyes open with irons.  When I use my RMR, I shoot both eyes open (which you should with a dot) and I don't have any issues.  Assuming you shoot right handed, your left eye will not see the dot due to it not being aligned with the optic.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By milecreekmustang:
A red dot on a pistol should help with cross eye dominance.  I do not seem to have one eye that is significantly dominant.  I end up seeing two targets if I am front sight focused with both eyes open with irons.  When I use my RMR, I shoot both eyes open (which you should with a dot) and I don't have any issues.  Assuming you shoot right handed, your left eye will not see the dot due to it not being aligned with the optic.
View Quote
Thanks that's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm going to try and find a way to shoot one then might add an RMR to one of my guns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Right handed left eye dominant.  With any pistol my head head just automatically cocks to the right slightly.
Thats with irons or dots.And that is with both eyes open.  I don't even think about it anymore.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes a red dot will fix the problem.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:
Right handed left eye dominant.  With any pistol my head head just automatically cocks to the right slightly.
Thats with irons or dots.And that is with both eyes open.  I don't even think about it anymore.
View Quote
Same for me. Not sure issue
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:
View Quote
same for me....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top