Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:26:55 AM EDT
[#1]
keep in mind-----  the sights can be in alignment with the target and NOT in alignment with the line of sight to the target.   So--- no---
those are not the same between sighted and point shooting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 4:19:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R_S:
Rob Pincus explains Combat Focus Shooting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KnmvmYfmY4

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R_S:
Rob Pincus explains Combat Focus Shooting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KnmvmYfmY4

I realize I’m 1.5 years late to this party, but very little of Pincus’s Combat Fuckus training actually has benefit.  One can argue real world application, but just because something is applicable, that doesn’t mean it’s beneficial or practical.  I could go learn debate and argument strategies, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to win an argument with my wife.  

About 10 years ago I was working for a smaller metro suburban PD (I’m now with a large metro agency) and I had this training sergeant that was very arrogant, very ignorant, and hoarded all training opportunities for himself.  If we put in for some training, he would deny us and go himself because, according to him, he needed to “evaluate” the training himself to see if we should be learning it or not.  I went to reputable national level training with Pat Rogers, Louis Awerbuck and Dave Spaulding, etc on my own time and dime and he once tried to tell me I wasn’t allowed to do that because it could conflict with our department’s training; that’s how stupid and arrogant this jackwagon was.  I’ve been doing shooting competitions since the early 1990s and at the time I was at that agency I was doing IPSC, 3-Gun and some precision rifle, and he tried to tell me I couldn’t do competition because if I got into a shooting, I was going to shoot like I was in a competition and not like I was a cop.  Yeah no, Sarge…GFY.
To no surprise to anyone who’s ever been a cop or in the military, this mouth breather is now a Captain.  

ANYWHO…. I tricked him into going to a Rob Pincus ICE Combat Focus course by putting in for it myself and talking it up, knowing full well he’d deny me and go to it.  And he did.  He came back and we had firearms training about two weeks later and we did an entire day of Combat Focus drills and it was a disaster.  We were doing target focused shooting or varying degrees of the first acceptable sight picture concept, regardless off distance to the target.  Hit percentages were very low, and when we tried to slow down to get hits, we were told that accuracy wasn’t important.  The concept was to build reflexive or instinctive shooting to get the first shots off the fastest.  It was a repeated problem throughout the day where it would be “red triangle” and we’d shoot as fast as we could while being accurate, get the hit, and then get “corrected” because we were taking too long to shoot.  Then officers would go faster and miss, and they were applauded for making the shots despite missing what they were shooting at.  Usually missing by a wide margin.  

I have previously had conversations with top level national instructors who have told me how many problems they have with ICE/Pincus students because they have very poor marksmanship skills and their training has never emphasized accuracy.  Still, I wanted to make sure this wasn’t one guy’s interpretation with the drills so I did some investigating and sure enough, people who’ve been to the training verified what I experienced as being the norm.  Then it all makes sense when you don’t ever see Rob Pincus shoot a target when he’s demonstrating something, and the rumors about him being a subpar shooting were legit.  When you start looking at the data that Pincus claims to have, you see that it’s either cherry-picked, or it’s not validated accurately because it is missing key information.  Or it’s just total BS. The ironic thing is that the people who pushed the Pincus stuff the most were often the same kinds of people as that training Sgt where they love to expertly critique things by saying “that’ll get you killed on the street.”
Well, two shootings, zero combat focus kool-aid drinking and I’m still here.  **shrugs**
Fortunately Pincus has largely disappeared back into mediocrity.

Now that I’ve been at a large metro agency where we have had a lot of shootings, and we train more officers and recruits than any other agency in the state, I can say that the best results for shootings have come from a high standard for accuracy matched with extensive training in tactics, all done repetitively until speed and proficiency are increased.  Combat Focus is a system, and systems don’t work.  Having as many skills as possible is the answer.  

Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Pincus?!?  No thanks.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a Field Manual figure showing pointed quick fire:

This was a standard technique with extensive use in Vietnam.  Especially useful in darkness when iron sights are not visible.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top