Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2019 10:04:04 AM EDT
I am trying to do more training while I have down time at home, mostly I am practicing my draw from both open and concealed as well as reloads.  I'm also practicing reloads on my AR as well.

What else can I be doing at home to help my shooting?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Half of all training is mental. Think of scenerios, and decide how you will react to them ahead of time. Hear a gunshot out in your backyard at night, what do I do? grab a gun and run out the back door to go look? no, that leaves the wife and kids inside alone.. hmmm.   however, if one of my kids was in the backyard when it happened, then you would want to run out back asap and be armed. what if I see a guy running out the backdoor with my tv?  do I shoot him? why ot why not? chase him? why or why not? what do I do if a vehicle is tailgating me? drive faster? slow down?

You can do 50% of your actual training like that and its totally free. you are preprogramming your brain to react in certain ways, to certain events, so you don't have to think about your response, or run around like a chicken with its head cut off. a arfcommer posted the gun shot in the back yard recently, and everything he did was wrong. he ran outside armed, left the wife and kids inside alone, and then ended up pointing a gun at someone who was on the other side of the property line, etc. pretty much ALL bad decisions. however he did it fast, tactical, and had a weapon light, so tactically he did ok, but had something happened it could easily have went really wrong, really fast. shot could have been from a cop chasing a suspect for example, and him running in armed gets someone shot. or a neighbor legally coon hunting at night close to the property line turns into a shooting / threatening people with a gun charge.

Id rather have a friend with me who has so/so abilities, and has a really good grasp on how to react to different things, than a highly trained friend who has not thought about different scenerios. obviously that's part of a complete training regimen, but a lot of people skip that part, in todays lawsuit filled world, you had better be sure your doing the right thing as much as your able to do it effectively, because even if you win, what good did it do if you lose everything and go to prison because you reacted wrong? yes, better judges by 12 than carried by 6, but there is a middle ground, do it right and fast, and you minimize your chances of dying, and losing everything.

as far as other training.  get a laser training aid and a target for it, that will help.  practice drawing and pointing the pistol without using the sights, then look thru sights to see where your naturally aiming, you can get better just by doing this. doing dime drills on your rifle and dry firing can help make your trigger squeeze better and groups smaller.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a couple Laserlyte targets and one of their pistol cartridges to practice my draw. I feel like it's helped a lot with that and with my transition times.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The dry fire scenarios are endless.  While geared toward competition the books below are worth getting.  Dry fire is all about making gun handling subconscious anyway which crosses over to any discipline.

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Fire-Training-Practical-Pistol-Shooter/dp/1497319633

https://www.amazon.com/Get-Work-Practice-Points-Second/dp/0692229345/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3GDSYOEU20VJ9&keywords=steve+anderson+dry+fire&qid=1550252042&s=books&sprefix=steve+anderson%2Cstripbooks%2C190&sr=1-1-catcorr
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I usually practice while everyone is at work ...I wear my pistol concealed in my home almost everyday... I'll  will draw and point at a closet door,  I will draw and point down an empty hallway,  I will  draw while getting up from my favorite recliner...  and yes, my weapon is "Hot" at all times...  I save my "reload" training for my onsite/outdoor-tactical training days. I don't carry an extra mag on my personal set-up anymore...
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Living in the sticks allows me to live fire at targets around my yard while I mow. Moving,drawing,fast,stopped and all types of positions and distances.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Half of all training is mental. Think of scenerios, and decide how you will react to them ahead of time...
View Quote
Kudos for all of that.

To expand on it a little bit, you can also work on your situational awareness--especially if you have any sort of routine (i.e. regularly going to the same places around the same time).

If you have a wife/kids, get them to play "Kim's game" with you. Start simple. Lay some items out, give yourself a couple minutes to look over them, then try to list as many as possible. Build on that by including descriptions. Build on that by setting them up throughout your den or living room or yard.

Another one is to set up or have them set up out-of-place items (e.g. a watch in a tree, or a pine cone on a bookshelf, etc.) throughout the same areas, and try to find them just by observation. You could even set up a treasure-hunt of sorts. I know it sounds silly, but if you train your mind to look for things, you'll start to see more things.

If you're a bachelor, have some friends over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top