Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2021 2:54:17 PM EDT
Major Thomas P. Ehrhart's Increasing Small Arms Lethality in Afghanistan: Taking Back the Infantry Half-Kilometer got me thinking about what the BEST rifle qualification is.

MAJ Ehrhart wrote:
Finally, the marksmanship qualification course should be changed to be more realistic and give accurate feedback to the soldier and commander. The qualification course should combine the concepts of the 1949 qualification course with an updated short-range marksmanship component, such as the MEU (SOC) course of fire. This combined qualification course would consist of engagements from three to 500 meters; include multiple types of terrain requiring different shooting positions; a combination of moving and stationary targets; engagements from differing elevations and a scoring system which rewards shot placement to vital areas.
View Quote

The 1949 Army Rifle qualification course took into account all the lessons of WW2 (link)

MAJ Ehrhart makes good case for 500 yard marksmanship that I completely agree with.  Standing, Squatting, Kneeling, and Prone are all important positions to know.  That sounds like a good start, but I don't think that it covers ALL the bases.

First of all, fighting is fighting, and being able to do combatives and defend your rifle is important.  I'd suggest that a complete qualification should include rifle strikes and how to defend weapon grabs.  

CSAT Rifle Standards are solid and an important part of how I train.  They should be a part of any qualification.

Special Ops Shooting Tests CTEs are more extensive, but add a lot to the round count and don't include distance work.

The Appleseed AQT is fantastic but doesn't include 500 yard shooting and has perhaps too much focus on sitting rather than squatting or kneeling.

It seems to me that shooting from VTAC barricades, turning movements, physical stressors, and PRA= Perception, Recognition, Acquisition drills, and extended distance snap shooting should all be part of standard evaluations.

What other things should be tested in a complete rifle qualification?  Is there a better rifle qualification out there?
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
There are no best, qualifications are just the tickets as the minimums to start actual collective training as a unit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to see a guy hit a Nato helmet at 600 yards with green tip ammo from a M 4

would like to see the military's penetration test.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I had typed a long winded critique of the USMC quals. It occurred to me at the end, that the qual isn’t the issue, it’s the lack of training before and after.

Every qualification course relies on the same common element. TRAINING.

Sadly, my beloved Corps believes that the qual is the training.

We can debate distances, par times, target size, hit boxes, etc, until our guns have rusted to nothing. No debate of how to assess the skills of a shooter will ever replace the need to actually train the shooter.

Go train.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quals can become way too complicated sometimes, especially when someone wants “qual” to equal “training”.  

And sometimes they are too damned easy when budgets get involved and nobody wants to pay for training time or remedial training when people fail.

Best = realistic testing of skills needed for the anticipated need of the user.  If any part of it does not make sense when compared to the training methodology, it needs to be rethought.  

Example- Old qual - Forcing a malfunction with a rifle while the shooter is at close range and has no cover, when training doctrine says this should be a pistol transition.  Solution- move the malfunction back to 25 yds or further, add a barrier/cover to force it to be used.

ie- not doing a skill only test, but making it also fit the tactical situation.  Now everyone is happy.  (Maybe!)

My needs for a urban/semi rural patrol rifle were a lot different than the US Mil needed in AFG dealing with guys a lot further away.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top