Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2013 6:04:10 PM EDT
We have a studio teaching Tiger Karate to 3-5 year old age group, basically pre Karate instruction stressing situational awareness (ie Stranger Danger) and giving them a little bit of education in listening skills and self discipline .

$45.00 for a month 2x a week, uniform included.....

PS I'm going to go and watch a class or two before bringing him.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I ain't trying to sound mean or anything, but don't three year old poop themselves and pee themselves sometimes?

I think tossing 45 bucks into the garbage a month for a child of the age that walking and sometimes running in a straight line can be a challenge.

Put that 45 bucks a month into a savings account and when he turns 18 he will have a couple of grand.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Typically nothing but a  organized play session- however it will give an excellent start for learning dojo rules/etiquette etc.

YMMV -always dependent on instructor...

I would chat with the instructor (the one actually conducting the classes)

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My son is 4.4 yrs old and does well in Kenpo.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:18:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Adirondack1:
We have a studio teaching Tiger Karate to 3-5 year old age group, basically pre Karate instruction stressing situational awareness (ie Stranger Danger) and giving them a little bit of education in listening skills and self discipline .

$45.00 for a month 2x a week, uniform included.....

PS I'm going to go and watch a class or two before bringing him.
View Quote

Yeah go for it, my kids love it. But they go 5 times a week for $120/month.  Two times a week ain't much.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:19:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CNS_Hit:
Typically nothing but a  organized play session- however it will give an excellent start for learning dojo rules/etiquette etc.

YMMV -always dependent on instructor...

I would chat with the instructor (the one actually conducting the classes)
View Quote

I think it teaching discipline, at least the ones my kids attend.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Horrible idea.

Striking arts are very hard on joints and bones.

Wait till he's 5 then put him in Judo.  That's the only martial art I'd put a youngster in who's under 16.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#7]
My son started when he was four, had his black belt at 10.  It's never too early to start teaching the principles of discipline, respect, and responsibility, which is mostly what it's about in those early classes.  It also brings some physical activity to the table, which too many kids are missing these days thanks to game consoles.  If they stick with it, they eventually learn some useful self-defense skills, and gain some self-confidence that I think helps them avoid or manage confrontational situations in the future.

A lot of it depends on how good the instructor is.  Just like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones, and the ability to effectively teach children of that age is a bit of a specialized skill.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I think its a great activity to build confidence
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#9]
My 5  year old son has been in BJJ for about 8 months now. He is learning, no striking. He is having to roll with 6, 7 and 8 year olds. All the other kids his age quit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:27:44 AM EDT
[#10]
No.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
too young. our dojo has minimum 5-6 year age
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#12]
A buddy of mine runs a serious Do-Jo.
He is some kind of 5th  level something or 'nother that required a trip to Japan to get. (He had to go twice )
I asked him about my kids a while back. He wouldn't train them at that time as it was a waste of time and they must've been about7 and 5.
He  said something to the affect that the belt factories took kids because they bring in the money.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Back in the early '80s I was a black belt in karate and taught some of the kid classes in our school. It was mostly a waste for the younger kids IMO.

I'd wait until he was about 10 (depending on the kid) and then put him in BJJ, wrestling or judo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#14]
training small kids is day care.  Its a waste of money at that age.

What some one said above that schools that take kids are just belt factories; like being a black belt at 10.

I would say teach them martial arts about the same time would let them shoot some what unsupervised (i.e. here's a 22 and a box of ammo go shoot the targets while Daddy sits in the shade and has a beer.)
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:50:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MEDIC-0372] [#15]
At that age start them out with tumbling classes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By vengarr:
I ain't trying to sound mean or anything, but don't three year old poop themselves and pee themselves sometimes?

I think tossing 45 bucks into the garbage a month for a child of the age that walking and sometimes running in a straight line can be a challenge.

Put that 45 bucks a month into a savings account and when he turns 18 he will have a couple of grand.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Spend that money and get your kid swimming lessons. Drowning deaths are highly more likely than "strangers" at that age, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a McDojo.  Wait till they are at least 8-10, and then it depends on how developed they are emotionally.
As far as teaching discipline, that is mom and dad's job.  They need to understand the concept of respect and discipline when they enter the Dojo.
Lil Dragon and Lil Tiger programs are cash cows and usually just themed day care.  Worst, the lower students usually get stuck with the kids.
My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:

He  said something to the affect that the belt factories took kids because they bring in the money.

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:30:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SC-Texas] [#20]
Do it.  Just be prepared to weather several storms.

Refusal to participate
Acting up in class

Have to be consistent and not get frustrated.

Definitely installs good values and discipline.

It's worth it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Way too young. At that age if it was a legit dojo they would allow the younger ones like yours "particicpate" in the kids class in the back row (for free), if they behave and make an attempt to learn. Usually have an older kid in their late teens coaching them. This is how you develop kids to be interested in martial arts and promote the sport. Kids that age have a short attention span and most don't even know their left from right. Try coaching T-ball and you will see.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Doing judo as a teen there was a group of brothers in my group.  The youngest was a Jr national champ, each started at age 3.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#23]
As a parent, it is up to you.  I would also like to point out that most martial arts schools don't teach self defense!  They make money by charging for belt tests and waist a lot of time doing forms and such.  I was asked to leave a school when the instructor asked "why do you want to study here, is it the art, fitness or fun?"  My answer was " to learn to fight if attacked, how to make sure some one who attacks me regrets it for the rest of his life"....I was asked to leave, and I am glad.  I see so many students advance because they could pay for a new belt.  I have beat the hell out of many instructors during sparing, then I quit and find a new school.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top