Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2020 11:19:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dean1197]
Hey how do you manipulate the trigger for speed shooting. I was watching a video by sage dynamics, he said if you ride the trigger/keep your finger on it the whole time including reset you won’t be able to shoot as fast because your finger will be retarding the trigger reset. He said you should take your finger off the trigger enough to let the trigger reset by itself back into your finger, I think he called it “trigger reset anticipation” can anyone expand on what he means. Also if you ride the trigger too fast can it cause feeding problems?

Anyway how do I manipulate the trigger for like .15 splits
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
On a good day I can shoot .15 splits, usually around .17splits.  I never take my finger off the trigger.  A lot has to do with muscle memory, and knowing exactly where the reset is.  Honestly, I don't really think about it when doing it.  It take lots of shooting practice.  BTW, I shoot a stock G19 with my own trigger polishing job.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By searchin4shacks:
On a good day I can shoot .15 splits, usually around .17splits. I never take my finger off the trigger. A lot has to do with muscle memory, and knowing exactly where the reset is. Honestly, I don't really think about it when doing it. It take lots of shooting practice. BTW, I shoot a stock G19 with my own trigger polishing job.
View Quote
Pretty much that. I will say that the old-school, CMP-style of "squeeze, ease, click" aka slow, controlled reset will hamper your time. With enough practice, you will learn where the reset is; and the faster you move your finger, the faster it will reset. Honestly, I don't even know if I can move my finger fast enough to actually break contact with the trigger. But then again, I don't shoot .15 splits, either. The more you practice with what you shoot, the more familiar you will become with its reset; which will, in turn, build good muscle memory. The more muscle memory you build, the faster you will become.

I don't know your level of training, so don't take this personally; but I would be remiss to not mention recoil management. If you can't accurately manage a .15 split, you should probably work on that first.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Rob Leatham and Bruce Piatt are the only speed shooters I’ve ever seen at Camp Perry. It’s tough to undo that type of ingrained trigger actuation. On President’s 100 day, speed shooters struggle to make the list.

Different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR-180:
Rob Leatham and Bruce Piatt are the only speed shooters I’ve ever seen at Camp Perry. It’s tough to undo that type of ingrained trigger actuation. On President’s 100 day, speed shooters struggle to make the list.

Different strokes for different folks.
View Quote
That is the truth. That is how I was first trained. It took quite of bit of "untraining" before I was able to move past it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:11:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#5]
Shooting fast takes time to develop.  You have to develop the muscles and muscle connections/motor control.  Simply running the trigger a certain way isn’t going to allow you to run fast.  It takes a long time behind a trigger to consistently run accurately while shooting fast.  For the physical portion, it’s a matter of just pulling the trigger as fast as possibly.  Riding the trigger isn’t going to work.  It’s basically controlled slapping or jerking.  When I was heavily into carbine training years ago, I got as fast as 0.14 splits consistently with good hits out to 15yds at that speed.  Beyond that, the trigger speed needed to be slowed down.  So it was all relative.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:32:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xXGearheadXx] [#6]
Originally Posted By dean1197:
Hey how do you manipulate the trigger for speed shooting. I was watching a video by sage dynamics, he said if you ride the trigger/keep your finger on it the whole time including reset you won’t be able to shoot as fast because your finger will be retarding the trigger reset. He said you should take your finger off the trigger enough to let the trigger reset by itself back into your finger, I think he called it “trigger reset anticipation” can anyone expand on what he means. Also if you ride the trigger too fast can it cause feeding problems?

Anyway how do I manipulate the trigger for like .15 splits
View Quote
Grip the piss out of the gun and slap the shit out of it.  If you’re gripping the gun tight enough (but not so tight in interferes with your trigger finger speed/dexterity) the slapping won’t negatively effect your accuracy that much for target distances that really allow for .13-.16 splits. Practice a lot of near to far and far to near transition shooting to learn how to throttle and pass from slapping to staging effectively.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Max Michel 7x7x7 drill is great for developing this. Do it enough and you will find your finger can physically move faster than you ever thought possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top