Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2021 6:33:36 PM EDT
I'm finding myself more and more using 3x5 cards for training.

I lile it when I staple them up with one staple I'm the center and how it stays stuck to the cardboard after I shoot out the staple.  Peels off nicely afterwords.

Any reason not to be shooting at 3x5 cards?

Still use plenty of other targets as well.  Mostly the 3x5 is for timed or fast shooting.

What say y'all?
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems reasonable.

When I was 3 my grandfather would nail a mayonnaise lid to a tree with a roofing nail.
The nail was the target for .22

Try using a sharpie to put a mark in the center where your staple is so you have something to aim at.

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
There's all kinds of targets out there.  3x5 is a classic.  I use tons of different targets.  From your basic paper plate (which actually works well), to military, LEO, USPSA, IDPA, NRA, etc.

Shooting steel is an important variation.  From a basic plate rack, silhouette, to Texas Star, it is important to get some time on steel.  Steel is highly recommended for barricade shooting and making sure that you are properly maintaining your focus to get consistent hits... "front sight focus only" shooters tend to loose it shooting reactive targets because it is natural to focus on the reactive target instead of your sights.  If you know how to also shoot target focused... doesn't seem to be so much of a problem.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Best Target for Combat Training | Tactical Rifleman

Best Target for Combat Training | Tactical Rifleman
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Roger Phillips developed a 3x5 card drill which is sometimes done in his classes.

Timer
3 cards
7 yards
18 rounds, (6 in the gun and two additional mags of 6 each)
The cards are placed horizontally rather than vertical which would be easier for most people.
Imagine a human image.  Place one card over where the face would be, another over the chest, and the last over the abds.
From the holster, on the start, draw and put two hits on each card, reload and put two more hits on each card, reload and put two more hits on each card.

Each card should now have 6 hits.  You go for time,  Only a perfect score counts, if you miss any then your run doesn't count.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Dave Spaulding uses them quite a lot in his training classes and drills

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dave+spaulding+drills
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
We use them. We'll call which colors to shoot and not shoot, or the order in which to shoot. It makes it fun and competitive.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a 400 pack of 4 inch Shoot-n-see targets from Amazon on sale for $24 a while back. Put them in your cart and check on the prices from time to time. They work great and are easy for my older eyes to see. Perfect size for me. I can consistently hit them from 3-10 yards with my EDC. I put two of them about 18 inches apart, one above the other, and do Mozambique drills with them.
Before that  I used  3x5  cards.......

Link Posted: 8/23/2021 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
At my agency we use fluorescent yellow/green note cards for zeroing rifles at 100yds.  We put up a silhouette target and stick the 3x5 card to the middle as an aiming point.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I try to not rely on such things a lot in training, bad guys don't go around wearing brightly colored dots on their clothing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got a 400 pack of 4 inch Shoot-n-see targets from Amazon on sale for $24 a while back. Put them in your cart and check on the prices from time to time. They work great and are easy for my older eyes to see. Perfect size for me. I can consistently hit them from 3-10 yards with my EDC. I put two of them about 18 inches apart, one above the other, and do Mozambique drills with them.
Before that  I used  3x5  cards.......

View Quote

camelcamelcamel.com will monitor the price and send you notifications based on your desired price.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

camelcamelcamel.com will monitor the price and send you notifications based on your desired price.
View Quote

Thank you @Stryfe.

Tried that a time or two and couldn't get it to work for me. I know, I'm a Luddite.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thank you @Stryfe.

Tried that a time or two and couldn't get it to work for me. I know, I'm a Luddite.
View Quote

It has its flaws.
But it's a convenient low key way to monitor things on my want not need list.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Roger that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I try to not rely on such things a lot in training, bad guys don't go around wearing brightly colored dots on their clothing.
View Quote
Yeah you'll get the "I couldn't shoot him because he wasn't wearing a bright dot." training scar.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:16:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Ill use sticky post it notes in different colors to test my zero at varying distances.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah you'll get the "I couldn't shoot him because he wasn't wearing a bright dot." training scar.
View Quote

There was a guy in East Tennessee, determined to commit suicide-by-cop who taped a bulls-eye on his chest, called 911 and pointed a pellet pistol at responding officers.  Several rounds later, he was hit in the shoulder and surrendered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top