Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2018 11:11:26 AM EDT
I don't shoot my handguns near enough and would like to start doing more range trips for practice. What are some good training drills or a place where I could print out some targets, until I can save up a little money and take a handgun class near me?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
While I'm sure others will disagree, I'm a fan of the El Presidente (or the variant El Mozambique).

Set up three IPSC targets in a row.  Load your gun with six rounds.  Have a reload on your belt.  While facing uprange (back to targets) in the surrenger position, at the buzzer, draw, put two shots in the A-zone on each target, reload, then do it again.

El Mozambique is the same but you load 9 rounds and each target gets three shots - two to the chest, one to the head.

The drill shows how the shooter performs basic tasks such as drawing from a holster, presenting the firearm, acquiring sights and targets, controlled pairs, transitioning to other targets, and reloading.

The drill can be modified:
-Shoot with one hand or with your support hand
-Draw from concealment
-Shoot from behind cover
-Cover part of one/some/all targets with no-shoots
-Add a fourth target as a no-shoot and have a helper change the order of targets while you face uprange.
-Have a helper randomly add snap caps to your magazine
-Increase your distance to the targets
-Shoot from a position other than standing
-You can shoot each target once, shoot each one again, then reload, instead of pairs
-Instead of a straight line, set the targets at different distances
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Look up the Winchester/NRA marksmanship qualification program/book, it has progressive levels of qualification for different disciplines.  I'd also recommend taking the basic pistol and personal protection courses from the NRA, if you haven't had formal training before.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
dot torture- you can print free targets just google it

5x5 drill- same as above

Get an NRA 25 yard b8 and score it

check out youtube for pistol drills, i have found tons of good stuff
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you. I will look up some of those drills. I did print off one target from gorilla approach he calls it the consistency drill so we will see how that one goes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a great many wonderful pistol drills.  Do a web search for pistol drills, and plan your range time accordingly.  Your skill level will improve much faster when you use drills and have a plan for your practice time/ammo as opposed to just casually shooting away.

Normally, when people don't have a range plan for their practice, they practice the things they are good at.  Shooters improve much faster if they practice those things that they are NOT good at, then end your range practice with a drill on which you can perform well, as this lets you leave with a positive mental imprint from your practice session.

Mozambique
Bill Drill
El Presidente:   These are three of the classic drills.  There are way too many for me to remember them all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy a shot timer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a shot timer.
View Quote
Any recommendations on a decent one?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Any recommendations on a decent one?
View Quote
Pocket Pro II, CED 7000, Pact.

A search of brianenos.com will yield threads discussing the pros/cons of each.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Look here.

Many, many drills.

drills of the week
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure you guys will laugh but,,,,,,,I'm NOT a competitive shooter. I'm just a guy with a family to protect. I set up steel "popper" plates around the perimeter of my yard and practice shooting my pistols WHILE I'm mowing the yard. This , to me, more closely replicates "real world" motion, distance and difficulty. As I pass around my place the plates appear at different height, angles, speeds, distances and can be shot both strong and weak side. Besides,,,the wife never gets any complaints when she asks me to mow. IMHO most "real world" self defense situations will NEVER be at a static target with a bench rest. I do run a nice Zero turn mower btw.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
IMHO most "real world" self defense situations will NEVER be at a static target with a bench rest. I do run a nice Zero turn mower btw.
View Quote
I agree.  And many 3-gun and pistol matches incorporate moving targets, hidden targets that require you to lean around a corner or get on your knees to see, all while you're huffing and puffing running around on the clock and you're shooting buddies are watching.  No bench rest in a USPSA match!

I've attended matches that required you to breach a door with a shotgun and engage targets on the other side with a pistol; where you start in a bathtub holding a rubber duckie; where you shoot one target and another starts moving laterally out from cover; where you had to get prone with a pistol; where you had to get inside a school bus and engage targets outside the bus; where you had to carry a football while shooting.

I say this not to brag, but to encourage you to visit a local club or three and see what their imagination has come up with.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:11:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Not OP but I ordered that for shits and giggles.  Been trying to step my game up a bit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not OP but I ordered that for shits and giggles.  Been trying to step my game up a bit.
View Quote
If you actually put in the work (15-20 minutes a day) and follow the plan, you'll be amazed at the skill gains that come.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top