Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2021 11:22:43 AM EDT
Ok, so I basically have zero sling game and its shameful. I've been shooting my whole life, not a hunter or soldier or anything like that though so didnt really need a sling. Basically a collector and big time plinker, aside from a few summer biathlons that I dabbled in.

Recently I've been working on becoming more proficient in a practical context--- shooting weak side, uncomfortable positions, standing, kneeling, prone drills, mag changes in awkward spots, etc... and I realize a sling is so necessary, but havent found a practical solution for slinging yet.

I have a few different slings, but dont employ them much, just ordered some different mounts to really experiment with.

What are some simple, practical and effective methods and ideas for slings and mounts that I can start with?

Any good websites or vids that demonstrate this stuff?

Stuff like how/where to mount various styles of slings for various types of situations.

Whats best if If I have to run and switch to weak side a lot? Should I go with a single point or 2 point?  Bungee or rigid?  Receiver/buffer tube mount? Rail mount?  

I realize a class is best, but I have limited time and funds, and I have to focus on pistol classes first with my wife.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a fan of the Blue Force Gear Vickers CAS. There are a considerable number of yt vids on slings of all types.

I used a single point for most of my career, but I was NOT a gunfighter by trade, merely a med guy, so single was easy enough to get by with.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Read up on a Rhodesian sling set up.  Basically an over the shoulder set up but with a loop to facilitate shooting.  Jeff Cooper was a big fan.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My limited experience is that the Rhodesian sling and older Army sling aren't used much anymore except for long range accuracy competitions.  The Vickers type sling seems to be the go to for modern purposes.  All have their uses and it's really up to you to try them out and see what works for you.  I have the Blue Force Vickers on my general purpose AR and an Army web sling for my accuracy gun.  If you learn how to use it properly, the sling can be a pretty powerful tool for accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a single point sling convert after many years of two point sling use.  I find the tier1citizen.com single point sling the most efficient for my purposes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rick_Lind] [#6]
Most instructors suggest being familiar with a good 2 point sling.  Other configurations, such as single point, may have their uses, but a 2 point is a great starting point.

I have several versions of this Viking VTAC 2 point sling and they work great.
This Vickers Sling by Blueforce is good, as someone already pointed out.  The webbing material is thicker and more old school feel than the Viking, just a bit different.
This Proctor Sling is a minimalist sling that is great for rifles with no attachment points or QRs.
Also strongly recommended is some version of a Quick Release swivel.

I own and use all of the above.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on blue force gear VCAS (padded)
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I just want a sling that will let the rifle hang upright, at my side, and not upside down.

A buddy and I were just discussing the other day that we didn't understand why the military puts sling mounts on the bottom.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Ferro slingster.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a good reason SGM Lamb and Larry Vickers sell adjustable 2-point slings and just about everyone uses those slings.

Single point slings are great for hitting you in the balls as you run... and looking cool.  I have one for a pistol that is short enough it won't hit me in the balls, but otherwise stay away from them.

SGM Lamb's VTAC slings are my go to.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jos51700:
I just want a sling that will let the rifle hang upright, at my side, and not upside down.

A buddy and I were just discussing the other day that we didn't understand why the military puts sling mounts on the bottom.
View Quote

I think it's a holdover from when rifles were carried muzzle up on the shoulder.  The military can be a bit slow to change even when what they are doing is stupid (i.e. non-free floated rifles).
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you all, exactly what I needed to get a starting point. Sorting through everything thats been said, clicking every link.
Appreciate it. Holding/balancing a rifle all the time without a sling sucks.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:09:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyF] [#13]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I only run Slingsters.  Great product.  Lookup Garand Thumb on youtube.  He has a couple sling videos to check out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BmNJ:
I only run Slingsters.  Great product.  Lookup Garand Thumb on youtube.  He has a couple sling videos to check out.
View Quote

Basic Sling selection for the M4/AR-15
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like the Magpul RLS for my m1a and bolt guns.  

For guns I'm gonna shoot and move with I really like frank proctor slings, also have a Magpul MS2 that isn't bad.  But the proctors are my preference because of the simple attachment and adjustment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 here for Viking tactics 2-point.  Really good quality.  And ease of adjustment.

I like the look of the Blue Force Gear Vickers 2-pont as well, and how it makes better retention of the adjustment slack, and you don have to pull two different places for tightening and loosening, just pull the tab on the slider back and forth.  Gonna need to try one of those now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
get both   put bernsed socket on a qd sling and just go from 2 point to one point sling
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:28:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I like a good adjustable 2 point.  However I did use a single point for a long time, because I could leave a sling worked into my gear, and just snap off my everyday sling and attach the rifle to my vest.  If I had not liked the snap hook I would have gone 2 point.  With a single point it will smack you in the crotch, or the knees, if you aren’t controlling it 100% of the time.  But it is real easy to switch shoulders or directions with, or just unsnap the rifle from the sling if you need to crawl thru something or whatever, where with a 2 point you would need to take the whole sling off.  

A 2 point on the other hand you just have to cinch down when climbing and jumping over stuff, way better than a single point for that.  

For the typical person, a good 2 point is the way to go.  If you find yourself in an environment where it becomes a hassle then maybe try a single point, you will probably go back to a 2 point once you see how much you have to control the single point.

On all of my 2 point slings that had the ability to convert to a single point, I have taken off the section that does that as I never use it and don’t like how it ended up working anyhow when you did switch it over.  So now they are straight 2 point adjustable only.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m evaluating new slings but not done
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Tactical Bob Ross talks about all sorts of setups.
DIY Weapon Sling Tips - NO SEW
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Vickers padded two point, tried everything else, works the best for me. Mounted on the right side of the Magpul stock QD point, forward left on the forend ahead of the index points.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I have VTAC's on some of my carbines but am really enjoying the Proctor and ESD slings I recently picked up.  They are minimalist and very smooth under use.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been through a ton of slings, in search of something that works. If you actually use your sling as a tool and constantly adjust it during courses, I have found no better than the Tac Stitch Min-Max. Huge adjustability and as easy to use as it gets.

The closest second I’ve found is the FCD sling.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#25]
VTAC, VCAS or boonie packer

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Slings are very subjective.  It really boils down to personal preference.  I'd run some drills using both and find out which style you like best.  They both have positive and negatives.  Here's a pretty good video showing each style of sling in use.  

Single Point Sling Vs. Dual Point Sling w/ a Navy SEAL

I use a two point sling.  It for sure limits your transitions to rifle offhand shooting.  The number one reason, I use a two points is (watch the video to minute 14:40).  He does a transition to handgun using a single point sling.  When he drops the rifle, the rifle hits him in the nuts.  He's only moving at about 20% speed.  And it still hits him hard enough to talk about it.  I have the worst luck when it comes to single point slings.  No matter what I do, the rifle hits me in the nuts.  Running a drill at 80% speed and getting hit in the nuts really sucks!  In the heat of battle, I'd doubt you notice it much but in practice it hurts and it distracts me every time.

This is just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a slingster, a vtac padded and one of larue's padded. all with QD. I like the larue the best. all of them work fine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I've used 3 point, back in the day, when we thought it was HSLD.  And it was, compared to the shitty GI sling.

Never bothered with a single point, seems pointless and impractical for my long gun needs.

2pt quick adjust is The Way.  Just better in every respect.  

I like attachment points to be far apart too, end of stock/close to muzzle, which is another subjective preferrence you'll find.

As another poster said, get out and work with it, find what works for YOU, in YOUR mission set.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Just checking back in here to say thanks to everyone for the info. I've sorta got things almost worked out. I think getting proper attachment points is the real trick with this stuff. Still playing around with that aspect of things. Haven't quite gotten a setup that I can transition to weak side with without having the sling wrap my neck, but I can do it.
Attachment Attached File

My gp/Dissy just has a fixed A2 stock so no qd socket, I did the mid school style wrap around it and linked it to the OEM sling point via Paracord. Currently wearing a 511VTAC 2 point found locally), which I really like. I grabbed a knock off from ebay, in multicam alpine that I run on my Sig PCP, which is heavier than my dissy, so it's a pretty good analog for practice. And it's multicam alpine.
X39 carbine currently has an old Magpul ms4 sling on it, which is a bear to adjust, so I'm probably going to swap it out.

Just got a BF Vickers, haven't messed around with it too much yet... I definitely like the width of the webbing.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Vickers two point. Done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top