Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2017 9:05:08 PM EDT
Which do you prefer? I used to be a power stroke/overhand guy, but have exparamented with slide stop reloads lately and I'm much faster. I prefer to use my strong thumb but doing some research some in the training world teach weak hand slide release (Larry Vickers for example.) I messed around with weak hand with Glocks and didn't care for it.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Neither.
Reloads use overhand method.  No fine motor skills required, works on all guns, same motion clears stove pipes.
Slide release is for servicing/cleaning etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Overhand, I was always taught gross beats fine when it comes to adreline altered motor skills
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Which do you prefer? I used to be a power stroke/overhand guy, but have exparamented with slide stop reloads lately and I'm much faster. I prefer to use my strong thumb but doing some research some in the training world teach weak hand slide release (Larry Vickers for example.) I messed around with weak hand with Glocks and didn't care for it.

Anyone have any thoughts?
View Quote

If your thumbs are long enough to engage with the strong hand thumb, I see no reason to use the weak hand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neither.
Reloads use overhand method.  No fine motor skills required, works on all guns, same motion clears stove pipes.
Slide release is for servicing/cleaning etc.
View Quote
What about swiping your thumb down the side of the gun is a "fine motor skill"?

Trigger control, done correctly, is the "finest" motor skill involved in shooting a handgun.  What is it about proper trigger control that makes it immune to the same argument?

What is it about hitting the mag release button that is different from hitting the slide release?

The fine vs. gross motor skill argument is lazy, meritless, and debunked a thousand times over.  

Hitting the slide release is faster due to economy of motion.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a fine motor skill for people who don't practice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What about swiping your thumb down the side of the gun is a "fine motor skill"?

Trigger control, done correctly, is the "finest" motor skill involved in shooting a handgun.  What is it about proper trigger control that makes it immune to the same argument?

What is it about hitting the mag release button that is different from hitting the slide release?

The fine vs. gross motor skill argument is lazy, meritless, and debunked a thousand times over.  

Hitting the slide release is faster due to economy of motion.  
View Quote
Exactly. The "gross motor skill" was always a dumb argument for someone well trained with their particular pistol. The better argument is that the overhand technique works on every handgun. The problem with slide stop is that it's located different places on different pistols, and on certain pistols (Glock for example) it's hard to use.

Started looking at using the slide stop as with an M9 you can engage the safety on accident with overhand. Being military, the M9 is a likely pistol I'll be carrying if I have to use one in anger. It does no harm outfitting all my personal Glocks with extended releases, and it doesn't hurt I'm a tad faster with that technique either.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The better argument is that the overhand technique works on every handgun. The problem with slide stop is that it's located different places on different pistols, 
View Quote
agree
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
 IMO what is even worse is trying to prove that one technique or another is superior by performing drills on a square range with a shot timer.
View Quote
Well, faster is superior.  

I don't know what other metric you'd prefer to use over speed when reliability is the same.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread actually makes me happy. I remember when I was a young Devil Dog, the whole "gross v. fine motor skills" was hammered into us. As I progressed into becoming and instructor myself, I taught it as well. It wasn't until TECOM started revamping the annual qualifications, that I first heard the theory questioned. I was "raised" using the overhand method, so going to the slide stop does not give me any improvements in speed (it actually makes me slower, because I have to think about what I'm doing). That method is what has become my muscle memory, and that's what I'm proficient in. Like Mr F mentioned, find what works for you, and train with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top