Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2022 8:09:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AndysAR15name]
I’m trying to determine what type of setup rings the loudest at 300 yards or so with steel targets and 5.56.

Hanging them from S hooks or buying one of those 2x4 with feet setups that mount the plate a bit more rigid?  

Right now I’m hanging 3/8”  8” ar500 from S hooks at 300 yards and I can barely hear them even with my headphones turned up. Willing to invest in something else if it helps. Not sure if I could get away with slightly thinner 1/4” ar500 at 300 yards to increase the resonance a bit. Or if I would blow right through it.

I train solo, so having a really loud audible ring when moving through drills really helps. If I am just bench rest shooting slowly then it’s fine. But I like to move and not have to ultra focus on wether I hear hits or not.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
My S hooked plates are almost impossible to hear versus my one plate that is mounted to a sign post by a valve spring and carriage bolt.  These are 12x20 silhouettes 3/8 thick at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]
You want the largest and thinnest target that will withstand the ammo.

5.56 at 300 will not even pit 1/4” AR500 especially if you’re using the heavy for caliber match bullets.

Velocity is the killer not necessarily energy.

Shooting Targets7 Guide
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Had a guy at a club I was at cut a piece of something like this but thicker and it would ring very loud even with 5.56 hitting it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Mild steel, pistol only but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:35:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPolska] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jhoyda1:
You want the largest and thinnest target that will withstand the ammo.

5.56 at 300 will not even pit 1/4” AR500 especially if you’re using the heavy for caliber match bullets.

Velocity is the killer not necessarily energy.

Shooting Targets7 Guide
View Quote

This.

The thinner the target, the more it vibrates when struck (assuming it can move and is not held rigidly)

Eta shoot equal sized 1/8 and 1/2 thick plates with a .22lr for an audible demonstration
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the assumption a hanging target from hooks would be louder than a carriage bolt and valve spring. Since I read that rigid targets vibrate less. And assume the bolt with valve spring would be more rigid. But it sounds like the valve spring and carriage bolt isn’t rigid, and the spring gives enough that the plate vibrates actually more than when the plates are hanging?

If this is the case, I’m thinking about grabbing this. Maybe see if I can find a 1/4” thick torso instead of the 3/8” since at 300 yards 1/4” isn’t an issue as posted in above comments.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Y13LBFR/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A276J0TZGR7Q8N&psc=1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top