Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2019 9:27:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You just need to buy some and try it.  100 rounds and you will know if it has the accuracy and reliability.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like it runs fine.  I’d use it.   I used to shoot a lot of steel in 5.56.   I used to get shit at our club for it, till I beat a bunch of those guys in two gun using wolf.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used steel case in classes without issue.  I always bring an extra rifle and enough brass cased ammo to complete the class just in case but have never had an issue.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 5:17:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#7]
It depends on whether the instructor/host will let you.  I am an instructor with a private training group, and we allow steel case as long as you have confirmed that it runs reliably and safely in your gun.  If you have substantial issues with the ammo in class and it causes you to slow down, there will come a point where we will stop waiting on you and will just keep going, and you can keep up and deal with it or leave.  This hasn’t happened yet as a result of steel case ammo because for the most part, that ammo runs fine (we’ve had to do it for junk rifles with generally poor reliability).

The only thing we do with steel case is at the end of the course make you police your own casings and keep it separate from the other brass buckets.  We sell all brass we collect that students don’t want (students can reclaim their own brass if they choose), but we can’t sell steel case and we don’t like sorting that crap out before we sell it.

Point being, it shouldn’t be a problem, but just check with the training group or host.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Ran steel case in 2 consecutive carbine courses. Over 1200 rounds.
No malfunctions.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Be absolutely sure whatever you bring runs.

Don't be that guy with malfunctions slowing down the class...mags that randomly fail...need a cleaning rod to remove cases...and so on.

Test it hard...get it hot...zero it for real, confirm at distance with both irons and optics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top