Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2017 3:16:46 AM EDT
I know steel case is generally not preferred for carbine classes but I find precious little information on the same for handgun classes. In March I'm taking a two day handgun course and will be firing ~1000 rounds of 9mm. Obviously Wolf is cheaper than brass but I was wondering if anyone had some insight on whether or not steel case for pistols is reliable enough to take to a high volume shooting class.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]
What handgun?

More importantly, if you can confirm the pistol working fine with steel through extended shooting, then use it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot enough steel that any handgun I was taking to a class I wouldn't have a problem with using it.  You should probably call whoever is putting on the class though and make sure THEY don't have a problem with steel, some ranges, and some instructors(who use those ranges), don't allow it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
As others have stated, test it out beforehand in THE gun that you plan on taking to the course. I run steel and aluminum cases through my guns all the time(mostly Glock), and have never had issues with any of it. If it works in your gun, and the Instructor & range have no problems with it then go for it by all means. Training courses and travel expenses are expensive enough as it is, if you can save some dough on ammo it lessens the hit to the wallet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Any ammo restrictions should be listed in the course description. Don't forget to test fire your backup pistol also...
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel that if my gun won't run steel cased ammo it isn't reliable enough for me.  I run 1,000s or rounds of steel through my clocks no issue.

1911's not so much.  I guess that is reason #67 to ditch the 1911s
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#9]
spend the extra $20 and go from steel to brass...
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
OP must be a real cheap skate if he won't buy brass ammo in these salad days.

Is the class free or something?  Are they using paper plates for targets?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top