Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2021 4:49:27 PM EDT
When shooting one handed, whether it's strong or weak side, do you prefer to keep the firearm vertical or a slight cant? Tell either your background or the background of the training class you have taken. Curious to hear what ppl prefer what (for example, do the SEAL teams teach to slightly cant the gun to the inside, etc.)

I know it ultimately comes down to personal preference and comfort, but I'd like to hear what ppl prefer to teach what technique. I guess an example of this is the classes I have taken with Navy SEAL instructors very specifically taught to rack the slide with the slingshot instead of over the top or using the slide stop, for example.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The way the shoulder is constructed it is more natural and stronger to cant slightly, it's what your shoulder 'wants to do'.  I allow the cant at close range but have the gun vertical for longer ranger or more precise shots.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The way the shoulder is constructed it is more natural and stronger to cant slightly, it's what your shoulder 'wants to do'.  I allow the cant at close range but have the gun vertical for longer ranger or more precise shots.
View Quote

Competition shooting trained me to bring it canted in 15-20*. Basically so it recoils into your COM instead of potentially up and away.

Makes sense and I do shoot it better that way on the clock
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

This ^^.

Slight cant.

Not gangsta'.

I was taught (and teach), it's like throwing a punch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Throw that bitch sideways. Keep that shit one hunna pimp
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Many have used the cant technique, which I use to use.  A while back someone showed me a different technique that involves rotating the elbow down, with the inside of the bend in your arm facing straight up.  It controls the recoil better, and I've never consider switching back.  It takes a little practice, and may not feel right at first, but it works very well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#6]
SHO:  No cant.
WHO: Some cant since it feels more natural.

Saul Kirsch recommends no cant.  I tried it but it just feels fucked up.  Plus my shoulders are trashed.

Saul Kirsch on Strong and Weak Hand

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Shooting weak hand canted can help in several ways:

#1 Prevents limp wristing.  Better grip helps those with less strength.  Especially with girls.
#2 Canting the pistol sights towards your dominant eye is helpful for getting a good sight picture.
#3 Recoil control.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Canting keeps the wrist in a position that keeps it straight and keeps the recoil from pushing the gun straight up.

Try your wrist straight  and move it up down like the recoil would do..feel how easy it easy for your wrist to move up and down.

repeat  with the wrist canted... wrist is much stronger and more difficult for the recoil to flip the muzzle up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:36:15 AM EDT
[#11]
For closer shots it doesnt really matter; for distance it is better to keep the gun vertical since it gives you more available target area and its how most peoples are used to aiming the gun for precision hits.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This almost exactly. My experience being a long time competitive shooter, who had the good fortune to train with world class shooters from all walks of life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top