Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2020 9:09:01 AM EDT
As I get older (44) I seem to be having more and more issues with shaking when shooting handguns.  Basically with a firm two hand grip, the shake is noticeable to others standing nearby, mainly my wife has commented on it, but I am sure others can see it as well.

I do tend to get soreness/tightness in my right shoulder area back by the shoulder blade.

It's frustrating to say the least and I am not sure how to go about correcting it or building strength to stop it.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:20:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LPGBlock] [#1]
So long as it’s not a neurological disorder. Get some physical therapy bands (Thera-Bands) and do some resitance training  for shoulder stability and also do some arm raises and Deltoid flys with light weights. Don’t have to go very heavy, just do the exercises  slow for hypertrophy.

If you get the flat physical therapy bands (Thera-Bands): get red, green, and blue.. looks like the kits online have yellow instead of blue. Idk what yellow is. Do some digging.

Pushups may also help somewhat. While you’re at it some sit-up and Russian twists can help build your core to be more stable in many other activity’s.

Start slow and slowly build rep range from 10-15 then go to the next weight/ resistance when you can easily do 15.

I would get the flat bands that the physical therapy places give out or get something like TMACS Getchusone bands (sold out recently) for a full body workout using only bands and body weight.

Keep your head up and don’t look back (figuratively)

Best of luck and email/ pm me if you need anymore info.

Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:30:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Currently] [#2]
I have a neurological disorder called essential tremors.  

A shooting coach told me to manage it by deliberately moving my muzzle in a small circle and as I come down on the target is when I fire.  

Holding perfectly still is impossible but I can make a deliberate controlled motion smoothly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LPGBlock:
So long as it’s not a neurological disorder. Get some physical therapy bands (Thera-Bands) and do some resitance training  for shoulder stability and also do some arm raises and Deltoid flys with light weights. Don’t have to go very heavy, just do the exercises  slow for hypertrophy.

If you get the flat physical therapy bands (Thera-Bands): get red, green, and blue.. looks like the kits online have yellow instead of blue. Idk what yellow is. Do some digging.

Pushups may also help somewhat. While you’re at it some sit-up and Russian twists can help build your core to be more stable in many other activity’s.

Start slow and slowly build rep range from 10-15 then go to the next weight/ resistance when you can easily do 15.

I would get the flat bands that the physical therapy places give out or get something like TMACS Getchusone bands (sold out recently) for a full body workout using only bands and body weight.

Keep your head up and don’t look back (figuratively)

Best of luck and email/ pm me if you need anymore info.

View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 10:40:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#4]
Shoulder problems frequently cause this issue. Even if surgery corrects an injury, the advice on trying to build strength (above) is spot on. It's also worth being aware of your grip. If you are squeezing the pistol grip harder than a firm handshake, it can cause tension in your muscles that will contribute to shake, especially on longer/slowly fired strings of fire.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]
You’re welcome

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 2:59:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#6]
Have someone take videos while you shoot and post them up.  Side view and from the back.

When shooting, you use and firm up all of your muscle groups from your back all the way to your hand to support the gun.  Exercising those muscles could help.  Sorry, I'm not a fitness guy but find someone to help you with that.

I use this to work on my grip.  Not just to strengthen my hand, but also improving control by pressing all my fingers down evenly, working on just the trigger finger without moving the other fingers, etc.  Comes in different strengths.  I use the heavy one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top