Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2020 12:16:44 PM EDT
I recently joined a gun club and while they have ranges, you have to bring your own targets etc.
I am thinking of putting a foot locker sized box together with target stands, targets, etc.
Has anyone done anything like this? Not trying to reinvent the wheel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just thinking out loud.
Put wheels on one end of a rectangular box, handle on other. (so it can get wheeled down range)
Inside are pre-cut lengths of PVC/EMT/Conduit (etc) that slip into each other and 2 hubs, on the top of the box. (target stands up and is supported by weight of box)
Targets can be affixed via magnets
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#2]
Yes, I have three sizes of range boxes.  Two are Pelican cases, one is from Anvil, all three are on wheels.

Anvil makes custom cases, with a wheel option and are extremely tough.  The music and movie industry use them.  I am lucky to have a couple surplus cases, heck, all of my cases are surplus.

Essentially a slightly larger version of this one:

They get heavy quick, so it may be better to put your stands in a smaller case, and your other gear in a separate one.  I also end up with a cooler bag, and a third case for my chronograph.

Next thing is you need a golf cart for getting your gear down range................

And then there are gloves, hammer, spikes, steel targets, sun screen, bug spray, awning, tables, first aid/blow out kit.............damn, I am already exhausted.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:44:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: badredfish] [#3]
My goto target that I tote to the range is

Two 2x4's about 24 inches long vertical and parallel about 1.5 inches apart.  with a couple of spacers that allow for the use of 1x2's to slide in at 18 inches apart (standard IDPA target width). I anchor the base with two 10 inch tent stakes.  Easy, compact, cheap and work really well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also built bases to hold a 2x4 vertical for steel targets - they are kinda a PIA because they get all fragged up.

Red
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a (few) large foot lockers from Cabelas they have wheels on one end.

I have one in my shed, that is full of unrolled and rolled paper targets, few spare sets of Ear Pros, Stapler, Staples and a few other goodies

Now that you mention it, I could stick 2-3 Metal Gongs w/Mounts, 2-3 Bases and set 2-3 4' long 2x4s on the top of it be set...

The range I belong to has target backers at 25, 50, 100, 200 and 300 that I can hang my paper targets on and place my free Standing steel beside.

They have had a few gongs at 100, 200 and 300, but some of the local dicks have to shoot them up with .50s and other large bores Rifles that they know will penetrate them and within a few months they are toasted and taken down...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top