Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2021 12:19:09 PM EDT
Basically, my question is this "With proper training and practice, is a 1911 just as fast to put first round on target under real world conditions compared to a handgun that does not have a safety."  
Or has there been a noticeable pattern of people sometimes flubbing the draw or missing the safety?
Shooting at the range is not real world conditions, it's practice under practice conditions. If it's a sim gun and somebody is trying to get the gun, fine, it's close to real world conditions.

I'd expect this question has been answered by handgun competition guys, force on force guys, and old school cops in bad areas.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
When I did carry a 1911, yes. However, I dropped the safety well before acquiring the target, it was in the same motion as it was raising. I only carry Glocks now but it is more for weight/capacity/reliability than any other reason. The controls on a 1911 are second nature to me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot a 1911 a lot in competition, up until about ten years ago, when health issues sidelined me.  On several occasions, I used a timer to compare the time to first shot between a 1911 and a Glock.  No difference between the two.

I'd draw and and after the pistol cleared the holster, depress the safety and keep my thumb on it during shooting.  Since deactivating the safety is part of the drawstroke, no time lost.

I've seen a lot of guys make depressing the safety a separate part of drawing and shooting.  That adds time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JWnTN:
I shot a 1911 a lot in competition, up until about ten years ago, when health issues sidelined me.  On several occasions, I used a timer to compare the time to first shot between a 1911 and a Glock.  No difference between the two.

I'd draw and and after the pistol cleared the holster, depress the safety and keep my thumb on it during shooting.  Since deactivating the safety is part of the drawstroke, no time lost.

I've seen a lot of guys make depressing the safety a separate part of drawing and shooting.  That adds time.
View Quote

That's exactly the answer I was looking for. It sounds completely plausible to make the sequence such that as the gun clears The holster the thumb goes down on the safety and stays there. That would facilitate firing from retention.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot Glocks, Tanfos and currently shoot a 2011 in USPSA.  There is no real difference in draw times.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#5]
There are lots of good shooters at the highest levels that use both firearms, a safety is not slowing down the top shooters, many of which choose 2011 platforms.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
i train to disengage the safety as it leaves the holster. better leverage with your thumb cranked down on the side of the slide as opposed to flagged high near the back, also you may need to engage immediately, and if you flick the safetly only once you're extended, you may pull the trigger before it fully disengages, resulting in a very jerking pull that can throw the shot. another reason is because you may need to engage from retention, and training to toggle the safety only when fully extended may cause a bad habit/reflex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top