Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2018 12:46:10 PM EDT
I have been shooting pistols for approx 12 years, i shoot once a week in the winter and sometimes 2-3 times during summer with the longer days.  I shoot anywhere from 100-250 rounds per trip at both outdoor and indoor ranges.   I can shoot fast and moderately accurately up to 21 feet.  I practing weird angles, laying down etc.....  what i realized during my steel challenge matches last summer is that im almost always point shooting and looking over my sights.  I can hit the close stuff but i fall apart at over 10-15 yards.  8" plates at 25 yards are a chore and i thinj its pathetic.   Standing i can shoot a 6" group at 25 yards with controlled breathing and lots of focus on my sights but with any speed or pressure i have a few fliers that open the group up.  I dry fire 3 times a week 50 presses per session.  I have never had any formal training and i worry that i have learned a lot of bad habits and i may not even know what i dont know.   So of course i got a trijicon rmr 2 and a glock 19 mos and thought that would help.  When i rest the gun i was able to get a 25 yard group that had 3 bullets makng a triangle and 2 almost touching.  When i shot standing it looked more like i shot non flight controlled buckshot.  Is there a online resource where i can learn and practice fundamentals?  I watch a lot of youtube gun channels but i dont think most of them are helpful for this.  I can clear my clothese very well, draw well, reload quickly and consistently but i lack any consistency at distance and for the amount i shoot and spend it feels like im going to the gym a lot but esting a shitty diet and drinking too much.   There isnt a return.  Any help would be appreciated.  I predominantly shoot glock 19s and my dan wesson valkyrie 45, the other guns most dont get used if that matters.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say you're right. There is a whole thread in the handgun training section devoted to point shooting. I'll try to repeat much of what I posted there.

While there's not necessarily a "definition" of point shooting, it's fairly accepted that you point your muzzle where you want to hit, and shoot. There should always be fundamentals in play, whether you focus on them or not. That is the point of training. Train so well with the fundamentals that you no longer have to walk yourself through each shot/string of shots. As you get better and better with the foundation, you will be able to use it faster and faster--as long as you push yourself. Don't try to go from crawling to running a marathon. It seems that you shoot often enough to make it happen. If you think you have bad habits, start over; and have patience. It takes time to un-train, then to retrain.

Once you're good enough with the fundamentals, you can consciously work on "indexing." It's basically the same general idea, but think of it as faster fundamentals. You don't necessarily need to focus on your sites, trigger, etc.; but you will be able to see your sights. Overall, this is somewhat of a poor synopsis of everything discussed in the afore mentioned thread, so I really recommend reading through it.

As far as online training, I'm not quite sure. I don't think online training could ever take the place of training in person, but I realize that there are circumstances that prevent some from being able to get that kind of training. If you can't find anything, let me know, and I'll see if I can make something happen for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top