Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 10:27:12 AM EDT
I read an article several years ago concerning prescription glasses tailored just for shooting. The article discussed having the focal point of the lens be the front sight when the arms are at full extension but still having the clarity to see the target. I am near sighted but due to age ( 49 ) have started wearing reading glasses when needed in addition to my prescription glasses for being near sighted. When shooting IDPA I have taken to wearing just non prescription shooting glasses because my fiber optic front sight is not crisp when wearing my everyday glasses but I would like every advantage if possible. Anyone here use glasses like I described for IDPA/USPSA? Pros/Cons?
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I asked my eye doc about doing this and he put 0.50 power in my prescription. Worked perfectly (for my eye) at the time. My next prescription will need a little more power.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScooterInVegas:
I asked my eye doc about doing this and he put 0.50 power in my prescription. Worked perfectly (for my eye) at the time. My next prescription will need a little more power.
View Quote
Progressive lenses?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a set of Rudy Project shooting glasses with two sets of RX inserts. The first set I had made at a fixed focal distance for the front sight of my Glock 34. My local optometrist is pretty well-known in the shooting community, and encourages people to bring their hardware to the office to get the distance and pupil placement just right.

Pro: I can actually focus on the front sight, something that has been a real challenge over the years.
Con: They give me a terrible headache for doing anything else. I had to have a second insert made at my normal RX for rifle shooting and general use.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BAMA47:
Progressive lenses?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BAMA47:
Originally Posted By ScooterInVegas:
Progressive lenses?
@BAMA47

I just seen your question and realized I didn't explain clearly what I was trying to say. My prescription shooting glasses is for USPSA pistol only. Progressive/bifocal lens wouldn't work well for me transitioning from multiple targets while running.

No, the .5 power was positive dipoter added to the whole lens of my shooting glasses. The targets are a tinny bit fuzzy but the magwell and sights are very clear.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Sucks to get old....20/10 eyesight for most of my life.

At 57 not so much.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Consider looking at safety glasses labeled dual readers.  Pilots use them due to overhead and lower panel switches.  They are inexpensive with readers at top and bottom.  Just tilt your head down slightly to pick up the front sight.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:13:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RichinCM] [#7]
I did an experiment with Zenni Optical glasses specifically to test this.   You can buy several pairs of single vision glasses in 0.25 diopter increments for $7 each and pick the one that works best for you.  You may want different power glasses depending on whether you are shooting pistol or rifle/shotgun.  For scopes or red dots, you can use single vision distance glasses.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm also near sighted with a -3.0 script.   I wear a 2.25 power contact in my right eye for shooting.   The sight isn't super clear but it's better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top