Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2018 3:22:09 PM EDT
I am looking at taking a Defensive Handgun Training Class, and want to know if anyone has taken it / what their thoughts were. I have not taken any training classes except the one to obtain my Ohio CHL. The class is offered by LEPD in Columbus, Ohio. Link to the Website Thanks

Here's the Overview:

Overview
Are you serious about protecting yourself and your family in dangerous times? Do you recognize that 8hrs in a CCW class does not fully prepare you to safely and effectively carry and utilize a handgun in self-defense? The L.E.P.D. Training Facility Practical Defensive Handgun Series is an exceptional way to improve your skills and make yourself better prepared in a time of need. Over the course of this two part series you will learn the practical skills needed to survive a real-life shooting scenario. Take one class or sign up for them both; these will change the way you think about carrying a firearm! Each 2hr course focuses on a specific track below:

Track 1

Trigger management
Tactical reloads
Drawing from the holster or concealment
Off-hand proficiency (one handed shooting)
**This course requires a minimum score of 80% proficiency to be eligible for Track 2**

Track 2 (Must have successfully completed Track 1 & achieved a passing score prior to registering for this class)

Transitions from less lethal devices (Flashlights, knives, OC spray etc.)
Recognizing barricades, cover and concealment
Shooting while moving
Track 3 (Must have successfully completed Track 1 & 2 prior to registering for this class)

Point-shooting (Contact Distance Engagements)
Low light shooting
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
First thing I notice is there's little to nothing presented on mindset or situational awareness.  Practical versus target accuracy is another topic.  Cover v. concealment should be covered before range time.  What are the requirements for their 80% proficiency?  Heck, their attention to detail is so low that they repeatedly reference two courses while listing three tracks.  I'm not sure three two hour blocks of time is really adequate to cover that volume of material, I've taken an entire 8 hour training day just on close quarters, down & disabled, and low-light shooting.  I find it curious they list what appear to be the NRA Personal Protection classes but with grossly insufficient class times for them (each is an 8 hour class).
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend training for anyone that desires to increase their proficiency with a firearm for self defense.

It appears to be ex-LEO as trainers, so that's a positive. They should be able to teach the basics and shoot - don't shoot scenarios. Not possible to get proficient in 2hrs though. If they can give you basic drills that you can work on that would be worth the price of admission. $59/session is cheap.

Took a 4 day handgun class at Front Sight in June and it had better hands on drills than when I went through the police academy. With 40 hours total over 4 days and 600 rds spent, it was a full glass of information. Don't expect that level of training, but going to their first class should give you a good idea if its a place worthy of your time and money.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. This is my first Handgun Training class other than the one I took to obtain my Concealed Handgun License in OH.

I agree, 2 hours isnt nearly enough time to learn everything, but for $59 it gives me the opportunity to at least get some more dynamic training other than standing in a booth shooting paper.

I have aspirations to take other more involved classes, but this is just to get my feet wet.

I am taking the class August 3rd. I will let you know what my conclusions are.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree, 2 hours isnt nearly enough time to learn everything, but for $59 it gives me the opportunity to at least get some more dynamic training other than standing in a booth shooting paper.
View Quote
You'd probably be better off spending $20 to go shoot a USPSA match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top