Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2020 9:51:45 AM EDT
So I have pretty much all the gear that I’ve needed for the courses I’ve taken. I would like to eventually take some long range carbine courses. Right now isn’t really the time for that due to the ammo shortage and I’m thinking a ballistic/bump helmet may be a better use of my money at the moment. I don’t have nods (maybe eventually) but I would like to tidy up my comms and not get my head busted in a bad situation.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you in a large population area? If anything find you decent PASGT K pot and call it good on that front for now, and save up for the optic you want. You can always upgrade the helmet later or go a different route.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I live about 45 minutes outside of metro Atlanta. So it can get pretty densely packed depending on where you are
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I live about 45 minutes outside of metro Atlanta. So it can get pretty densely packed depending on where you are
View Quote

Are you using headsets like Sordins or Comtacs? If so a gently used ACH is a good cost effective option as well. Really no sense in going all out unless you have a need for it a helmet fetish like I do. I would spend less on a fancy but serviceable helmet and save for a good optic.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 3:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
A simple Pro-Tec bump should suffice for the time being. You can spend upwards to close to 300 for a carbon fiber bump that offers no ballistic protection, the ACH helmets have alot more weight than what available now. With all the shit people are hanging off them, it can add up quick. Odds are once you get the bug (tac training,CQB shoot house, NVGs and the like) you'll being upgrading. An easy breazy bump is no knock to the pocket and will still help keeping that noggin intact from blunt trauma

Cool Story moment: A close friend and colleague of mine when out chasing tornados out in Texas/Louisiana recently. Caught traffic on one the radios for a distress call on a gent trapped in his house. This cat rolled with a sawz-all, protect helmet and some protective gloves and helped get him out cause EMS was over taxed and response time was delayed. Pretty sure he got alot on camera too. I'll ask if I can post it here for reference.

Usually the most simplest equipment on hand is better than the best equipment that you don't have or didnt pack for one reason or another.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I’d get the LPVO, a skateboard helmet would suffice if you’re just trying to protect your noggin during training.

A helmet to me is like plates, buy the best or don’t bother, if shit gets bad enough that either is a daily necessity then there’ll be opportunities to “acquire” them.

(Not saying you shouldn’t get either, just saying they’re absolutely buy once cry once items in my book).
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 3:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
misfire
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
1SFOD-D CAG (Delta Force) ran Pro-Tec skateboard helmets for CQB for more than a decade.  Kevlar helmets protect against shrapnel, but they don’t stop bullets reliably.  If you’re worried about impacts, a bump helmet is ideal.  If you don’t plan on running NODs, or you’re not taking a CQB/shoot house course that requires ballistic head protection, there’s no reason to buy a ballistic helmet or an expensive tactical bump helmet (like those from Team Wendy).  In terms of head impacts, there’s no non-ballistic impact that ballistic or tactical bump helmet could stop that a skateboard or ski helmet couldn’t.  Just go get a Protec skateboard helmet and spray paint it.  

If want to wear electronic muffs with a helmet, TCI and MSA sell muffs designed to be worn under a helmet with a thin top headband and heavier band around the nape.  For the same price, you can go buy in-ear electronic hearing protection (they look like large hearing aids) that works just as well.  

LPVOs are a much better use of your money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top