Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2020 8:55:33 PM EDT
A used shooting coat dropped into my lap this morning. I wasn’t expecting it or even looking for one right now but here I am. So far it feels like starting from scratch as all three positions feel way different than before.

Question:

Is your rifle canted when in standing position?

I ask because during my first afternoon trying out the “new” coat I discovered that it seems the only way I can get the rifle to my face and the butt stock in my shoulder while keeping my head vertical is by canting the rifle. Is this why adjustable stocks are popular? Do many people end up doing this?

Otherwise I would have to just lay the butt stock on top of my shoulder and against my face, and that just feels unsupported and weird...
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:18:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#1]
I'll often cant about 15*. Somewhat head position, somewhat firing arm geometry. And gravity helps compress leftward some of the body's natural spring rightward towards a more squared up position.

You've been building up the idea of consistency, so try to keep everything as familiar as you can. It may take a few matches worth of practice, but pull in tighter, sling up tighter, and try to put everything in it's usual place so it breaks in more to your form. Then relax the tension to a sustainable level for record, and make little adaptions of yourself to the coat. You may find you have to do the equivalent of pulling your pants back up over your waist to get the pads or extra material to not pinch or bind or flex when they shouldn't.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply.

One thing I'm noticing is that the two piece shoulder pad puckers a bit so I'll have to experiment with the top strap loose/tight to see what is best for consistency.

With the stiff backing, it feels comfortable to push my hips forward a bit (as if peeing for distance) and almost lean against the coat.

At any rate, this is definitely got me fixated on shooting again which is a very good thing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The fact that you are paying attention to details means you will get there if you are tenacious.

The offhand is a very difficult position to master, and it does take many trials and errors to develop.

Keep at it and good luck!
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Embrace the cant in off hand.  Work with it.  It really helps.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, after two trips to the range I’m starting to embrace the can’t lol.

As I had imagined, the coat certainly doesn’t provide any magic bullets but I do believe it’ll help me get closer to my potential.

With the coat, the rifle is canted and my NPOA seems much different. I checked and checked with eyes closed and it seems my stance wants to be much more “open” to target.

Head is upright, stance feels natural, I’m sticking with it for a while and will see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:09:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Dry fire practice will help tremendously, especially offhand.

The thing I like best about my coat is the sticky rubber pad to anchor my left elbow against my body.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Dry fire practice will help tremendously, especially offhand.

The thing I like best about my coat is the sticky rubber pad to anchor my left elbow against my body.
View Quote

Yes, I'm actually motivated enough now to do at least a short session of dry fire most days. As usual, all of my dry fire shots are "in the ten ring" but I have faith that the repetition will make me more comfortable shooting in matches.

As far as the rubber pads, I agree. On this older coat, mine ain't sticky but one squirt of Hawkeye shooting adhesive and I'm all set
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't use spray.  The bare rubber is "sticky" relative to my elbow on my shirt.

Remember, only perfect practice makes perfect.  Be critical of your calls in dry fire.  Don't train a bad habit into your routine.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

Remember, only perfect practice makes perfect.  Be critical of your calls in dry fire.  Don't train a bad habit into your routine.
View Quote

This seems an excellent point. I'll be honest, I've actually avoided excessive dry fire thinking I might be developing/reinforcing bad habits. Now I don't dry fire to long at a time, call my shots exactly as possible, and pay close attention to follow through.

Everyone has their bias. i believe that there is no substitute (for me) for live trigger time. Rounds down range make a world of difference for me. Hindsight is 20/20 but I do wish I had joined at least the Guard (like some of my friends) and gotten paid to shoot in my youth...
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 12:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jiva] [#10]
Progress with my "new" coat: Dry fire routine almost daily, have quite a cant but going with it as it feels solid so far.

So last match standing: 190

This morning's practice: 191-3x

I believe...
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember the Cant! Woops, wrong forum, sorry-- wait, no I'm not--
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top