Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2020 12:17:21 AM EDT
I am currently an NRA instructor, certified in all the pistol courses offered by the NRA. In my home state of Michigan, the course required to obtain a concealed pistol permit(CPL) is Personal Protection in the Home(PPITH), so that is the most popular course that folks want to take.  I am becoming dissatisfied with the instructor support by the NRA, and I think the course could be tailored more to concealed carry(not necessarily the NRAs fault, the PPITH is the lowest level course that meets Mi requirements).  I am considering getting certified with USCCA, thinking it might give me more flexibility, and yet meet Mi requirements.
Any one out there familiar with both training regimes? Any thoughts on either course, or experience with both/either?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 4:32:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I will jump in here.  The course that we teach at our range for a CHP, per State guide lines is based off the NRA Basic Pistol and the NRA PPITH material.  We are required to conduct a 12 hour course, that includes a 3 hour legal brief, written test and range qualification. The only part that I would like to see changed is the pistol qualification.  Currently it is 10 shots fired at 21', 7 of 10 rounds inside the target and 10 rounds at 45' with 6 of 10 inside the target.  The target is a paper IDPA one.  I would like to see a smaller target, but that is not in my realm of responsibility.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you by chance link the relevant MI statutes?  Just got my curiosity going
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top