Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2019 2:15:26 PM EDT
So I used to be an NRA certified pistol instructor, which I let lapse. due to my own stupidity.

I was interested in recertifying (I let it lapse about 3 years ago), and find out it looks like it's now a clusterfuck.

When I was certified the last time, it was a two day course that I had to register for one time, and it cost me $175.

Now it appears to be a 3 part, 3 day course, and now costs damn near $500 for all of it. WTF happened?

NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting (ILT) - 8 hours 50 rounds $149.95
NRA Basic Instructor Training Course (BIT) - 8 hours - $149.95
NRA Pistol Instructor Certification - 8 hours - $174.95

So with the complaining out of the way. Questions:

1. I'm OPOTA certified (meaning I'm a Cop, I spent literally a month at the range, and I was an avid gun not long before I did even this). Is there a way to opt/test out of the basics of pistol shooting course?
2. I found out there's an online "Basics of pistol shooting" course for $60 on the NRA website. Is this the same course as the $149.95 course I have to sit through? If I take it online, does it qualify?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
In for answers.

I’m also interested in possibly doing this course - provided it’s not the CF presented to OP.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Epyon:
So I used to be an NRA certified pistol instructor, which I let lapse. due to my own stupidity.

I was interested in recertifying (I let it lapse about 3 years ago), and find out it looks like it's now a clusterfuck.

When I was certified the last time, it was a two day course that I had to register for one time, and it cost me $175.

Now it appears to be a 3 part, 3 day course, and now costs damn near $500 for all of it. WTF happened?

NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting (ILT) - 8 hours 50 rounds $149.95
NRA Basic Instructor Training Course (BIT) - 8 hours - $149.95
NRA Pistol Instructor Certification - 8 hours - $174.95

So with the complaining out of the way. Questions:

1. I'm OPOTA certified (meaning I'm a Cop, I spent literally a month at the range, and I was an avid gun not long before I did even this). Is there a way to opt/test out of the basics of pistol shooting course?
2. I found out there's an online "Basics of pistol shooting" course for $60 on the NRA website. Is this the same course as the $149.95 course I have to sit through? If I take it online, does it qualify?
View Quote
If you've taken the Basics of Pistol Shooting course, you shouldn't have to retake that. There isn't any way to test out of the course.

If you haven't, the NRA has made a change to where you must take the student course prior to taking the instructor course.

If it's been more than two years since you've taken the BIT, you have to retake it in order to add instructor certifications.

The online basic course is only the classroom portion. You will still have to team up with (and pay for) an NRA Instructor to finish out the course.

I just went through the process to do some NRA classes, so all of this is pretty fresh if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Try contacting the NRA training department and see if you can skip the basic course, assuming you dind't go through it before.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Did they raise the fees to pay for Wayne's suits?
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Did they raise the fees to pay for Wayne's suits?
View Quote
And his side pieces (interns) $4500/month apartment
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 3:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SirSqueeboo] [#6]
Mine expired a few years ago; if it's that much of a hassle I'm not going to bother getting recerted, especially redoing BIT is just too annoying.  I didn't know that I needed to relearn how to instruct when I was doing just fine before.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I just paid $350 for my BIT and Instructor certification two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#9]
What does all this get you?

I got conned into doing the BIT and basic handgun thing years ago, and realized it was a scam too late, so I never continued with the NRA or sat in to actually teach a class and get full-fledged.

Just last week I was reminded when my wife (finally...) took the stupid class to get an ohio ccw. Basic nra course, no deviation. I don't personally remember all the details from when I took it, but she confirmed the class was a joke (we know the instructor, he's all right).

Is there honestly even a demand for NRA classes beyond the requirements in many states for a ccw?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Ahh. The requisite can you fog a mirror class.

I took mine in 1990 or so.   300 slides of a guy calling various guns a 1911 or a Luger, or a Colt.   All revolvers were called colts, didnt matter the brand.  All large frame autos were .45s or 1911s, didn’t matter if it was a high power.  All Ruger mark 1s, high standards, Browning challengers etc were Lugers.

Legal training; don’t take your gun to court, the bank or the post office.   If you kill someone at your house drag them back inside before you call the cops.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top