Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2018 11:29:19 AM EDT
I'm not a fan of stupid short range rifle drills. I saw the 1 to 5 (kyle lamb style) and just don't see the point doing it so close.

I was thinking of doing 125, 100, and 75yd steel (80% silhouettes). Running the drill as prescribed otherwise.

Maybe even do more targets with a position change such as 200yd prone, 150yd kneeling, and 100yd standing. All shots and positions on the clock. Run it from front to back, and back to front.

I have private property where I can blast out to about 300 yards, and precision shoot to 925.

Any more fun ideas?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#1]
I agree with you that there is value in trying that drill out at longer ranges.

Shooting some of those drills as prescribed has a lot of benefits depending on what you do for work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, for work, I'm a pipe welder, my brother does water treatment

A good friend is new to the Ohio highway patrol, so he actually can justify it as work related

I guess the intent of the original drill is to build rythm, speed, and weapon familiarity for door kicking.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:
Well, for work, I'm a pipe welder, my brother does water treatment

A good friend is new to the Ohio highway patrol, so he actually can justify it as work related

I guess the intent of the original drill is to build rythm, speed, and weapon familiarity for door kicking.
View Quote
Sure, and I think most of the dudes that would post such a drill, explain a little backstory (or at least they should). Usually there's more to the story than just shooting fast and being close up. Sometimes it's more about making sure you look at your next bad guy first and "thinking" your way through a drill instead of just swinging your gun around getting a shot off on each target to satisfy the requirements on paper.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 10-8DoWork:

Sure, and I think most of the dudes that would post such a drill, explain a little backstory (or at least they should). Usually there's more to the story than just shooting fast and being close up. Sometimes it's more about making sure you look at your next bad guy first and "thinking" your way through a drill instead of just swinging your gun around getting a shot off on each target to satisfy the requirements on paper.
View Quote
I see it now.

We really need to clear the bowl on the neighbor's property (they already gave us permission) where a solo shooter could fire 360*. Right now we're limited to about 5*.

What have you found to get a shooter to engage multiple different targets. So far we only use voice commands a la range tower. I was thinking shoulder taps, mixed with voice. A remote light flasher would be cool, but a little out of our "facility" capabilities. So basically we yell at eachother "target left... failure right, kneeling right". Usually just one or two targets.

Sometimes we keep the drill running after the shooter has come to a low ready before going to patrol carry or holstering by continuing to yell out commands. Barricades are incorporated, we have a pallet cut up and plywood chunks screwed on at the height of a pickup bed, car hood, and a port about right to for prone use.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
For Soldier,LEO, Mercenary, ect., its a good drill for learning to drive a carbine.  For the first two ammo is not bought by user but tax payers so burning through it is not a problem.

I like your thinking and i give it a try for marksmanship next range trip.

CB
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CBAR15:
For Soldier,LEO, Mercenary, ect., its a good drill for learning to drive a carbine.  For the first two ammo is not bought by user but tax payers so burning through it is not a problem.

I like your thinking and i give it a try for marksmanship next range trip.

CB
View Quote
I was thinking running 15 rifle rounds a drill is quite a bit. Doesn't it end up just getting "gamed" after a few rounds? It seems monotinous to dump that many rounds at that close range. No thinking required.

Suppose having the shooter face up range before the drill and adding in a surprise no shoot or "hard cover" obstruction to the targets makes them think.

We try to break patterns so everything is random and stressful (no timers, but we know improvements or failure when we see it). The goal is to make the other fail. Generally a soft failure. We don't want to constantly fall on our faces, but we want to finish the drill with a strong desire to get revenge on the other.

Think of it like walking the stage at a match. Getting preconceived notions on how you'll run it is completely contradictory to the concept of identifying and engaging the target
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:12:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#7]
Dudes will game a drill when it's starts getting competitive and you're trying to beat times. Most of the drills end up going that direction but it's still a lot of fun and good practice.

Just remember to hold yourself accountable when you are working hard to get better for your job, hunting, or whatever. Make sure you are processing all of the information that's presented to you.

One way to help is to randomly add a no-shoot target. You will quickly see who is relying on muscle memory and who is working their way through a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top