Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2019 11:31:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Truth is like you realized the medical careers that pay well take too long to make it worth it especially if you already have a good career going.

I think you are just at midlife boredom from your career.  Me too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:19:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_J:
From the outside looking in, my job looks fantastic. And in many ways, it is.

But as I’ve gotten older, I feel more and more compelled to do something where I serve others or help others in need. I looked at careers with the local Sheriffs Dept, but my wife would never go for it even if we could swing the net $100k income loss. If they paid well, I’d work at a pet shelter or child’s charity.

I thought about parleying my entry medical skills into something I could do at CHOA (children’s healthcare of Atlanta) or Scottish Rite, but they either pay too little or take too long as you said.

Is there any medical career that a 50 YO new career prospect could get into within a few years of night school, for example, that is a middle ground? I got my BBA in mgmt (with honors) going to school at night and working 50-60 hrs/week including lots of local travel. It’s been 20 years, but I could tough it out if my wife can step up to more child management (10 and 12, mostly my responsibility).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
Truth is like you realized the medical careers that pay well take too long to make it worth it especially if you already have a good career going.

I think you are just at midlife boredom from your career.  Me too.

But as I’ve gotten older, I feel more and more compelled to do something where I serve others or help others in need. I looked at careers with the local Sheriffs Dept, but my wife would never go for it even if we could swing the net $100k income loss. If they paid well, I’d work at a pet shelter or child’s charity.

I thought about parleying my entry medical skills into something I could do at CHOA (children’s healthcare of Atlanta) or Scottish Rite, but they either pay too little or take too long as you said.

Is there any medical career that a 50 YO new career prospect could get into within a few years of night school, for example, that is a middle ground? I got my BBA in mgmt (with honors) going to school at night and working 50-60 hrs/week including lots of local travel. It’s been 20 years, but I could tough it out if my wife can step up to more child management (10 and 12, mostly my responsibility).
Tough it out and retire then decide on your priorities.  Even nursing would put you deep in debt and only making 50k or so starting and its a pretty hard job at 50.

Keep in mind too we all get this feeling especially those of us with "good" careers.  It's a feeling.

Make decisons in reality,  spend your free time with your young family while they are still around which aint much longer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
Nurses who want to help people burn out. Nurses who work a job last longer and are happier.

Keep your day job. Volunteer spare time sitting with hospice patients or cuddling premies.

A few years of rad or u/s tech school won’t get you a meaningful job, just one that pays. Still less than what you’re making now, just not as pathetic as EMT pay.

The idea that jobs are “meaningful” is millennial hogwash. A job is a job. Buckle down and finish in your field. Keep hobies hobies and use your spare time to feel good. Like grandpa did.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:39:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Tough it out and retire then decide on your priorities.  Even nursing would put you deep in debt and only making 50k or so starting and its a pretty hard job at 50.

Keep in mind too we all get this feeling especially those of us with "good" careers.  It's a feeling.

Make decisons in reality,  spend your free time with your young family while they are still around which aint much longer.
View Quote
Yeah, that’s another thing. 50 hours at his day job and OP wants another time commitment at night school? In order to feel fulfilled by “giving back”? What about giving that time to the wife and kids?

My dad was an “entrepreneur” while I was around their age. Long hours. Preoccupied. It pushed mom and me away and the relationships never recovered. Selfish. He was selfish. And we never forgave him.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:07:15 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, serious question,  why can't you be satisfied with your family?

I think you missed the window.  I missed my windows for exciting, rewarding careers too. I went for money early on and here I am,  I had to get my adventures outside of my job.

Maybe you just need an adventure? Include your kids if you can,  they are almost adults.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I don’t know where you get the idea I don’t spend a ton of time with my kids. I sure didn’t say that. Since I work from home, I get them up, to school, get them from the bus, help with homework, take them to sports, take them biking, and camping, and hiking, and to the park, and to the movies, and to the mountains, and to the beach, and on cruises ... everywhere. We don’t dump our kids off on after-school activities, or sports, or sitters, or friends’ houses as pseudo parenting to get free time for ourselves. Every possible minute to hang out with the kids and/or wife, I spend it.

My kids are wonderfully well adjusted, love the outdoors, have seen more states in 10/12 years than I did before I was 30. They love spending time with us, and we love spending time with them.

If you’re looking for someone to admonish for putting themselves ahead of their family, you couldn’t have picked a worse target.

ETA - re adventures, a few years ago we packed up my truck, our roof top tent and a bed of supplies and camped our way to and from the Grand Canyon. Everyone had a blast. Two weeks in a Tacoma and no whining, no electronics, just seeing the countryside and fun side adventures like Bearizona and a ride into the mountains on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway.
View All Quotes

I think you missed the window.  I missed my windows for exciting, rewarding careers too. I went for money early on and here I am,  I had to get my adventures outside of my job.

Maybe you just need an adventure? Include your kids if you can,  they are almost adults.
I don’t know where you get the idea I don’t spend a ton of time with my kids. I sure didn’t say that. Since I work from home, I get them up, to school, get them from the bus, help with homework, take them to sports, take them biking, and camping, and hiking, and to the park, and to the movies, and to the mountains, and to the beach, and on cruises ... everywhere. We don’t dump our kids off on after-school activities, or sports, or sitters, or friends’ houses as pseudo parenting to get free time for ourselves. Every possible minute to hang out with the kids and/or wife, I spend it.

My kids are wonderfully well adjusted, love the outdoors, have seen more states in 10/12 years than I did before I was 30. They love spending time with us, and we love spending time with them.

If you’re looking for someone to admonish for putting themselves ahead of their family, you couldn’t have picked a worse target.

ETA - re adventures, a few years ago we packed up my truck, our roof top tent and a bed of supplies and camped our way to and from the Grand Canyon. Everyone had a blast. Two weeks in a Tacoma and no whining, no electronics, just seeing the countryside and fun side adventures like Bearizona and a ride into the mountains on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway.
No need to be defensive my good man.  I am not saying you are a bad father. I am saying you need to find happiness and excitement with that and let this idea of a rewarding job go.

I feel for you because I feel the same way every monday,  but working at home and having a family is a good life. Make a goal and meet some challenges.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 12:02:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#10]
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 2:02:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Don’t get me wrong, I lead a charmed life by most measures. Work fulfillment is not one and has not been for almost two decades. Now that I’ve figured out what I would enjoy (aside from racing car), I’ve learned the pay sucks.
View All Quotes

No need to be defensive my good man.  I am not saying you are a bad father. I am saying you need to find happiness and excitement with that and let this idea of a rewarding job go.

I feel for you because I feel the same way every monday,  but working at home and having a family is a good life. Make a goal and meet some challenges.
Don’t get me wrong, I lead a charmed life by most measures. Work fulfillment is not one and has not been for almost two decades. Now that I’ve figured out what I would enjoy (aside from racing car), I’ve learned the pay sucks.
I totally know the feeling. I just figured it out way too late myself.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Pre-hospital EMS pays garbage wages.  Look into other healthcare positions if your dreams are insatiable.  You can learn a lot without long-term commitment from job shadowing or volunteering.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you have volunteer fire departments in GA?
Seems like their capabilities range from near professional in some areas to almost nothing in others, but it might be a way to do a bit of that without the massive time/money angle.
An EMT-B cert from a local community college shouldn't be too hard to work into your schedule, and might provides some opportunities to "give back" and keep the skills up without overly impacting your time or finances.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#15]
EMS Career paths in non govt agencies or large health care organizations not going pay well.

I have known may people who kept their primary career path, but they were able to work in EMS as volunteer through Vol. FD or EMS.  
But, unless you have decent run volume your skills will suffer. Unless you are in the health field already where you could double dip some
of your continuing education opportunities?  
I have known people that had jobs that required them to drive hours from home to work in the EMS field.

Take Nursing.....in MN it only requires 16hrs of CEU every two years.  Whereas, EMSRB has a few options but it involves 48hrs.  Plus what every the EMS provider
may require EVOC, HAZMAT, ETC......

Another option....is some hospitals Paramedics are used with use of their skills in the ER for patient care as part of the team.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Hope this topic is on point enough for the training forum.

Has anyone here changed from some other career to go into medicine/medical care later in life? I’ve considered moving up the training & cert ladder, but I’ve passed the point where the financial costs > benefits because I only do it as a hobby / in support of local interests (scouts, CERT, family).

In searching EMT and/or paramedic careers, the pay seems abysmally low - especially compared to my tech career. For those of you who didn’t start young and have taken training later in life, was it for work or something else. If it was for work, was this a continuation of your career or a change?

For anyone who started or worked later in life in EMS, why?
View Quote
My wife is knocking out nursing program at age 52 but she was benefactor of a mining layoff and part of the buyout package was a re-education benefit. The nursing degree will pay off in spades as we near retirement and wish to locate to warmer winter time climates.

Have a hobby you can turn into a volunteer opportunity? My good buddy is on the county dive team. Fortunately he is on good rotation with only a once per month on-call commitment as volunteer numbers are healthy. They get dispatched a fair amount sad to say here in vacation land. : (
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#17]
RN to start with.  Knock it out in <2 years, then work on a MSN part time/nights and go nurse practitioner afterward.  That'll put you back in the $100k+ salary range.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#18]
The reality is that the jobs that pay in the medical fields require a comensurate investment in education with the exception of drug/device rep jobs which do not fill the need that you seek to quench. Think long and hard on the return on investment of your time. I would recommend volunteering with Red Cross or another organization with a focus on disaster relief. You can then contribute in a large meaningful way into others lives and still stay on track financially.

If you still are thinking about a particular job such as EMS, RN, etcetera, job shadow and talk to the people that live it. It is a younger person's game with long hours and in middle Georgia comes with depressed pay compared to national averages and requires more education than what most think. Prerequesites prior to entry into programs add semesters, not weeks. Do due diligence and get a realistic timeline if you are starting to get serious.

My point is that you can contribute more with less commitment as a vounteer and maintain your income working from home.

Good luck and I hope you find that niche to serve.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#19]
One of the guys I went to high school with switch from being a machinist to RN he said it was the best money's ever made.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I worked EMS for 10 years before getting my foot in the door with L/E.
Considering going back to EMS part time for extra money. Pay in my area is only around $15/he for EMT, Im not going to quit my job anytime soon. But to work a 12 he shift a week in my spare time, might be worth it, after taxes though prob not.

My advice would be get the training because you want to, and either work part time in your spare time or volunteer. Either way your basically volunteering considering what you make at your ft job. Only difference would be you'd make a few $ as a pt, and be held to a higher standard and prob get better experience.

Also avoid "transport" companies. That's not experience, that's just an Uber with a stretcher.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Got some karma to balance out?
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:09:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskagrown] [#23]
OP you have 10 years on me I am 40.  I just got my EMT last spring and was planning on going for my Paramedic Cert however jobs in my area are few and far between.  For the same amount of educational investment I can get my RN and find a job at one of 3 hospitals near me.  On top of that the paramedic class would have required me to move to the lower 48 for my externship.

I am getting out of construction, it was a temp job when I started 13 years ago and I got stuck in it.  It was easier to keep working than look for something else.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Not really.  I've had a great life, but it was due to hard work and dedication.  I worked to get money for myself, my family, and now that they're taken care of I'd like to work for those in need.

More than likely, I'll wait another 10 or so until retirement and take some part time work at a children's hospital, animal shelter or something similar.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
Got some karma to balance out?

Not really.  I've had a great life, but it was due to hard work and dedication.  I worked to get money for myself, my family, and now that they're taken care of I'd like to work for those in need.

More than likely, I'll wait another 10 or so until retirement and take some part time work at a children's hospital, animal shelter or something similar.

Another thing to think about with medical careers: most of the people you take care of are bad people. The good ones are few and far between. They’re mad at you because you’re not “doing enough for them” whether it’s pain control or fetching snacks. Don’t build up a fantasy about medical care. Like I said before, if it’s a job, you’ll do fine. If it’s a “calling” you’re going to be sorely disappointed and burn out.

Chase money, not “emotional fulfillment” in your job. Embrace your current career. You can’t do any better.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Nursing has more options and dollars
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 3:10:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:

Nurses who want to help people burn out. Nurses who work a job last longer and are happier.

Keep your day job. Volunteer spare time sitting with hospice patients or cuddling premies.

A few years of rad or u/s tech school won’t get you a meaningful job, just one that pays. Still less than what you’re making now, just not as pathetic as EMT pay.

The idea that jobs are “meaningful” is millennial hogwash. A job is a job. Buckle down and finish in your field. Keep hobies hobies and use your spare time to feel good. Like grandpa did.

View Quote

Somebody gets it.

If you even think that any of the imaging professions seem promising, take a closer look 1st. Here's the skinny on the overriding business model that governs the field: the credentialing/licensing orgs profit from sheer membership #s, so they have a vested interest in rubber stamping more professional mills into the matrix, which further dilutes the trade & makes for an employer's market ride with piles of desperate resumes. Either the techs aren't smart enough to see this, or are too "patient care"-focused to turn an eye to it, or...God only knows. Regardless, & despite this, every new entry into the field is a potential job security threat.

PS. Experience doesn't matter to hospital or clinic mgrs. They just want a warm body that can churn through the appointment schedule, & the cheaper (greener), the better.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:02:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rxdawg] [#27]
Nevermind, already commented.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:
Do you have volunteer fire departments in GA?
Seems like their capabilities range from near professional in some areas to almost nothing in others, but it might be a way to do a bit of that without the massive time/money angle.
An EMT-B cert from a local community college shouldn't be too hard to work into your schedule, and might provides some opportunities to "give back" and keep the skills up without overly impacting your time or finances.
View Quote

They do, and that was my plan we when were going to move to a small community of about 1200 in the mountains.  Instead, we're in the metro Atlanta suburbs where our town is over 65,000 and no volunteer opportunities.
View Quote

Originally Posted By rxdawg:
Nevermind, already commented.
View Quote

@D_J Any updates?

I clicked on this thinking to reply, only to realize I did about 4 years ago

Oddly enough, that was right about the time I found out I'd made it into a local associates nursing program after a decade as a machinist and then in commercial hvac. Today I've been an ER RN for a bit over two years, and am likely either going to be switching hospitals or moving to the local full-time fire/ems dept sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I kinda had similar impulses myself but know too well all the bureaucracy that has infected the healthcare sector and want nothing to do with it.  What I will do instead is get some training on rescue diving and first aid/emergency care for divers so that I can help out if needed when I'm doing some diving and other maritime adventures as we like to do. Also will look into upgrading my knowledge and skills for the same emergency care when hiking, hunting, competition shooting, and archery-- i always carry a good kit with me but definitely could learn more to handle more stuff. Being useful and contributing to the well being of others is a very noble desire and there are ways to do it that don't sidetrack your life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top