Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2018 1:20:15 PM EDT
Also posted in Hometown Virginia

HEAT 1 – April 2018

HEAT 1 was a dynamic, information-filled class for me. As background, I am new to the carbine with little trigger time prior to the class besides some recreational shooting and zeroing. While the first 2 days of the class is a proper and excellent introduction to the rifle, I would highly recommend taking the Hostile Environment Marksmanship (HEMS) class if you have not had prior rifle/carbine classes. In my opinion it will allow you to absorb the information easier and make the maneuver part of the class on Days 3 & 4 more valuable. If you have had multiple training classes, I still strongly recommend you attend all 4 days or the HEMS class.
The first 2 days on the flat range were extremely valuable especially the stoppage exercises and basic fire & movement drills. Though most of the attendees had extensive carbine training under their belt, they all learned new things these first two days. I cannot overstate the quality of instruction and the information provided. All the early drills build, in a very structured way, the skills required for the team movements on Day 3 and 4.
Days 3 and 4 of the class on the tactical ranges was eye-opening and brain numbing at the same time. Shooting, moving and communicating are straightforward in isolation but complex in execution combining safe weapon manipulation, multiple team members, targets and terrain. Day 3 was a blur and I was at “40,000 feet” for most of it but it all started to slow down on Day 4. This is why so many alumni come back and take it over again and continue to learn.
The bottom line is that it was a superb class and learning experience that you should plan on attending multiple times. If you want to be coddled and can’t check your ego, I recommend you stay home and plink at the indoor range – this is serious training. Other recommendations to improve your experience at this class:
•Make sure your rifle is zeroed and in good operating condition. Have a spare.
•The fitness test is no joke. You need to be in shape to do this class.
•Koolwink Motel worked great and is very convenient.
•Dirt roads are a little rough, make sure you have some ground clearance for your vehicles and 4WD is not a bad idea.
•Practice with your kit and have the ability to carry at least 6 magazines.
In closing, Max and Scott are excellent, highly knowledgeable, experienced instructors with a fantastic training facility and a well-structured program. I really appreciate all for the support, especially from Scott, primarily delivered up close and personal! I only hope that I did not drive them to drink!
Safety is paramount and I feel more unsafe at any local indoor range than I ever did at MVT. My classmates added to the learning experience (thanks Dimitri!) and were helpful all along the way. If you want to take your training to the next level, MVT is the place..
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good review thanks.

Heat 1 is a great class, and a lot has changed since CTT and even more since CRCD 100 years ago. Was up last month for Heat1 during the cold snap. I think it got to a "high" of 42 or so- ouch!

Now you need to do Force on force Team tactics class. I love that class, have done it four or five times now. Excellent way to put in practice the material learned at Heat1 and 2 using UTM rounds against actual opponents on opposite teams.

After you do FOF, you'll know what you need to work more on because everything will be pressure tested. You'll find out if the mag changes that go smooth on the square range really work out under stress as UTM rounds are zipping past your head.

Robert
View Quote
I think I will do HEAT 1 again and then HEAT 2 before doing FoF. Maybe do HEMS so Scott can yell at me some more. I miss that...
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top