[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the share.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Matt is a very passionate warrior and knows his stuff. In the Army, he went out of his way to ensure we received the best training possible and continues to do so after leaving the service. I can't say enough about how much he has helped the military evolve.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
 Let's ignore the fact that we've got an M9 bayonet for every soldier in the Army, and instead teach our troops to wrestle around in the dirt instead of stabbing our enemies.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
You either did not watch the video or you do not understand what is said.

A bayonet is only as aggressive as the soldier using it.  

A man unwilling or unable to immediately engage with whatever tool he has is the topic.  Not the weapons used.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:    Let's ignore the fact that we've got an M9 bayonet for every soldier in the Army, and instead teach our troops to wrestle around in the dirt instead of stabbing our enemies.

A man unwilling or unable to immediately engage with whatever tool he has is the topic.  Not the weapons used.

My complaint is likely not so much his philosophy but how the Army applied it in Army Combatives.  We stopped teaching the bayonet and instead how to mollycoddle trannies is more important.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MRW:  you have a fair point, but I don't think it is on-topic for his main point, which is how to train the proper combat mindset.
View Quote

I'm guessing it doesn't involve Powerpoint, which is why the Army didn't adopt it.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I'm guessing it doesn't involve Powerpoint, which is why the Army didn't adopt it.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MRW:  you have a fair point, but I don't think it is on-topic for his main point, which is how to train the proper combat mindset.

Sadly you probably guessed right.  

I think both bayonet and Combatives are essential for warrior training.  BJJ also promotes fitness, but probably caused to many injuries for a highly placed chairborne ranger.

In WW2 the Japanese had all trained JJ since they were kids and were more than willing to fight to the death.  I'm thinking that schools should do a better job promoting fitness and martial arts.  Start em young
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Given limited amounts of training time & that we already have bayonets in inventory, I would that simply fighting w/ the bayonet be taught, in order to maximize effectiveness against an enemy & to minimize training injuries sustained by wrestling.  Training in Combatives didn't improve my "Warriror Ethos" but it did cause me to miss a deployment from injury.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Given limited amounts of training time & that we already have bayonets in inventory, I would that simply fighting w/ the bayonet be taught, in order to maximize effectiveness against an enemy & to minimize training injuries sustained by wrestling.  Training in Combatives didn't improve my "Warriror Ethos" but it did cause me to miss a deployment from injury.
View Quote

The Marine Corps trains everyone on combatives and I wouldn't underestimate their warrior ethos.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By R_S:

The Marine Corps trains everyone on combatives and I wouldn't underestimate their warrior ethos.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R_S:

They train everyone as infantry is why, and they're willing to take casualties.  The Army is neither willing to train everyone to seriously fight nor to take casualties.  If I've got a comms guy or mechanic, I'd rather train him to stab ppl than wrestle em.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MRW:  I now teach middle school math.  I will by slowly attempting to integrate these techniques into may classes.  Fear is the true pandemic.
View Quote

God bless you.  This explains your obsession with revolvers - you're slowly going insane.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm putting on my "sneak up and kill people" outfit.

Great line.

Psychology has a huge role, in both motivation and manipulation to better train and prepare people for war, as well as to demoralize and defeat the enemy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
 Let's ignore the fact that we've got an M9 bayonet for every soldier in the Army, and instead teach our troops to wrestle around in the dirt instead of stabbing our enemies.

Yes, and how to devise training that will be reinforced by peer pressure and social standing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#18]
MAC is fucking stupid, a huge waste of time, and a great way to get hurt.

I didn't enjoy being punched in the head just so some GO somewhere could brief that all his dudes were Trained in being punched in the head.

The "give them a TBI to toughen them up" thing is stupid.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:
MAC is fucking stupid, a huge waste of time, and a great way to get hurt.

I didn't enjoy being punched in the head just so some GO somewhere could brief that all his dudes were Trained in being punched in the head.

The "give them a TBI to toughen them up" thing is stupid.
View Quote

Yes, but it's the Army.  There is so much stupid we can barely win a war, and can't in the mountains or jungle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top