Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2019 5:37:58 PM EDT
So I'm a newbie. Almost have my first AR built and have my first handgun on the way. I wanted to ask about bullet grain. I know there's optics/reticles that are designed for specific grains of bullets. SpecterDR is designed for 62gr while LPVO's tend to be in the 70's. I wanted to ask if I should match my training ammo with my good stuff for weight? Or is not a big deal? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll advise against the use of ballistic compensating reticles no matter which cartridge or bullet you are shooting. The reason is that they are compromises.  For example, all 55 grain ammunition does not produce the same muzzle velocity or use bullets with identical shapes and ballistic coefficients.  So, they're close, but not close enough if your goal is precision.

A good way to answer the question yourself is to use a good ballistics program such as the one at the Hornady web site.  Find commercial ammunition for which the muzzle velocity and bullet weight and ballistic coefficient are given.  Then run the program for different bullets.

What you will learn is that out to 400 yards with a .223 Rem rifle, the differences in the trajectories for 55 and 63 bullets will be very small, and 52 or 69 grain bullets won't show a massive difference.

Buy bullets by their weight expressed in grains; "I want to use bullets that weigh 75 grains." Not, "What grain are those bullets?"   And in case you don't know, 1 pound weighs 7000 grains.  Your first lesson in learning to reload!
View Quote
Thanks for the insight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top