Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2019 2:13:30 PM EDT
Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places, but I am having trouble finding youth shooting competitions in the Northeast other than small bore, air rifle or trap/skeet.  Is there no such thing as 3-gun or action pistol for 13-16 year olds?  The small bore youth team at Massachusetts Rifle Association / Walnut Hill Club is excellent and a number of team members are ranked nationally, but my son wants to do something more action oriented.

I've also thought about taking him to one of Glock GSSF shoots, but the closest ones are a 6-8 hour drive each way for us.

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions!
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Check local clubs to see what shooting sports are offered. Just because they are open to all ages doesn’t mean youth can’t participate. Many clubs fully support and encourage youth participation.  The trick is to teach them basic firearm handling skills and common competition rules first. Once you are confident they can handle a firearm safety and know the rules that will get them DQ’ed, start in simple matches with simple gear, like steel matches or GSSF. Once they are comfortable under match pressure and a timer, move into USPSA, ICORE or IDPA before 3 gun.

I have seen youth start in USPSA. While proper coaching can get them to be successful, I have seen them get upset and never return from the pressure. It all depends on the youth and who is coaching them.

Also, don’t forget about high power, bowling pins, bullseye pistol, cowboy shoots, and black powder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top