Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2017 12:08:47 AM EDT
I looking for a beginning  pistol training class. I don't mind traveling a few hours for good instructors and good facility. I'm wanting quality training I know it does not come cheap. Any Ideas
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Well when Houston is no longer flooded post in the Texas HTF and someone will tell you the best place to go. There are several places yet depends on what they need to do after Harvey to start things back up.

ETA: not to be troll yet my work has services in Victoria to Conroe and some in between and we have crew from all over Texas, OK and LA there to fix everything. Harvey was a bitch that just kept coming back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of training are you looking for? What is your budget? What are your definitions of "good" and "quality"? There are lots of places to train in a "few hours" distance from Houston.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm will to drive to Dallas (4-5 hours)  for a good instructor and what I mean by that is a instructor with good reputation with in the shooting community
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
2 hours away from me there is Robert Vogel offering private classes for 200 bucks... Good thing I have no real friends who are down to take the class with me.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm will to drive to Dallas (4-5 hours)  for a good instructor and what I mean by that is a instructor with good reputation with in the shooting community
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Try these guys in Nacogdoches. Though I don't think he--himself--instructs anymore, Paul Howe founded that company.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Contact Shiloh shooting range, near Willowbrook mall.  They offer a variety of trading classes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't recommend KR Training strongly enough. They're located in Manheim, TX, which is about 2/3 of the way to Austin from Houston.  

https://www.krtraining.com/index.html

It's not a super whiz bang facility, but it's plenty nice enough for his class sizes (5-18 people?) and content. Karl is an extremely competent shooter (Grand Master USPSA in a few different divisions), will demo the drills himself and is a good teacher. As an organization, they bring in some of the top names in firearms training (Massad Ayoob, Tom Givens, Ben Stoeger, Caleb Causey and - I think - Craig Douglas). The staff trainers are also very knowledgeable. Pricing is extremely reasonable as well.

If you're really lucky and in an all day class, they might send someone up to Lexington for Snow's BBQ at lunch. Now THAT is a bonus you won't find elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Try these guys in Nacogdoches. Though I don't think he--himself--instructs anymore, Paul Howe founded that company.
View Quote
Just took their instructor course Oct of this year. Paul is handing off some lead instructor duties, but he is still very involved in the process.

To the original post, I would say I can recommend CSAT in Nacogdoches as long as you've got a basic level of knowledge (as in, know how to operate your firearms with a load or unload command). CSAT doctrine strives for simplicity: Paul wants to teach techniques that will reliably get the job done in the widest variety of scenarios: if a technique breaks down in full combat kit, winter gear, slick, or concealed carry he does not teach it. IMO, there are fancier shooting techniques out there that have some value, but you can always fall back on Paul's material when the flavor-of-the-week methods begin to break down. Ideal place to start training.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just took their instructor course Oct of this year. Paul is handing off some lead instructor duties, but he is still very involved in the process.

To the original post, I would say I can recommend CSAT in Nacogdoches as long as you've got a basic level of knowledge (as in, know how to operate your firearms with a load or unload command). CSAT doctrine strives for simplicity: Paul wants to teach techniques that will reliably get the job done in the widest variety of scenarios: if a technique breaks down in full combat kit, winter gear, slick, or concealed carry he does not teach it. IMO, there are fancier shooting techniques out there that have some value, but you can always fall back on Paul's material when the flavor-of-the-week methods begin to break down. Ideal place to start training.
View Quote
I have taken pretty much every class that Paul has offered over the past six or so years. He is still teaching some of the classes, just not as many. He is more old school in his philosophy and approach, but it flat out works. If nothing else, the content they teach there will serve as a good foundation for more advanced training further down the road. And where else will you get to take classes from someone who was part of Blackhawk Down?

Another good option is TJ Pilling at Tiger Valley just outside of Waco. He is far different from any instructor I have taken classes with regards to ethics and methods, but he keeps things entertaining and has plenty of funny stories to keep you laughing and saying WTF?! His rifle range stretches out to 1400 yards too, which is rare.

Down south of Houston you have Arrowhead Firearms Training in Victoria. While they can bring in some bigger names every few years, their resident instructors do a good job of teaching the basics in all regards. The biggest perk there is that their classes are reasonable and affordable.

I have taken a few courses in years past from the guys at Guardian Angel PMC up in the Dallas area. I have heard mixed reviews from a few, but it's been a few years now and I haven't heard anything bad since. I enjoyed the classes I took with them and would train there again if the opportunity presented itself.

I am sure that there are others in the Houston area that I am not remembering or aware of, but those listed above are GTG. Best of luck in your search OP, just remember that you should train with multiple outfits as much as possible and adhere to and adopt only what makes sound sense and works for yourself. No one single instructor has all of the knowledge or answers, it's best to build from them all.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Hoffners training academy.  A group of us had him come to us for several levels of pistol, rifle, shot gun.   Good guy, great classes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Paul Howe CSAT

I have taken the basic pistol class with Paul, would recommend it highly
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#12]
CSAT- Paul Howe or KR Training are your best bets in my opinion. I have taken several courses at both facilities and never been disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Mispost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top