Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2017 11:00:13 PM EDT
So, I have decided to take a rifle class and would like some advice in how I should go about searching for and selecting the program I will attend...

What I want the instruction to focus on is Defensive rifle and defensive Handgun use, preferably with both independently and together as a system...

Am I better off taking three classes (Rifle, Handgun, and Rifle + handgun) or do you feel that all three can effectively be covered in one class?

Any recommendations on specific classes would also be welcome, I would prefer close to where I live South FL, but I would be willing to travel for the right course if need be.
Thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically they will be separate classes... in my experience, anyway. It's all drinking from a fire hose as it is, even if a two day class focuses on one discipline. No need to exacerbate it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I would look for classes that teach them separately, especially to start off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a quality one or two day (or longer, if you can) pistol course as a start. Pistol skills transfer over to the carbine.

Another thing to consider:

You will most likely use a handgun in a situation (rather than a long gun).

Once you have a solid foundation with the pistol, get some basic carbine training and go from there.

In the end...first aid/cpr will probably be the training you will most likely need over any firearms training. I am not saying to skip
the gun stuff, it is just something to think about.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mo4040:

In the end...first aid/cpr will probably be the training you will most likely need over any firearms training. I am not saying to skip
View Quote
That's some truth, right there.

If you find a specific place to consider, try to find folks who have taken classes there. Find out how reputable they are. I'm not saying that you need to look for an instructor who is former Delta or DEVGRU, but just because someone took a couple courses does not necessarily mean that they have the knowledge and skillset to actually teach something like that. On the same token, just because someone has a laundry list of HSLD accomplishments, also does not necessarily mean that they have the skillset to teach. Not everyone is a good instructor, even if he or she has the knowledge. Ideally, you would want someone who can tell you the "why" and "how" instead of just regurgitating information (<my pet peeve with a lot of instructors I know). It would be even more ideal if he or she has some solid experience to back it up. You want to find a good balance of all of that. If he or she says that his or her way is THE BEST/THE ONLY way in every situation, that's a good sign that they aren't worth your time. I've yet to meet a good instructor who claimed that they no longer need to learn.

Make sure you check pre-requisites. A lot of instructors/facilities will require that you attend a basic course, either with them or somewhere that they recognize, before going tactical.

Contact them to see if they think you'd be a good fit. Good folks will want you to be able to keep up with the rest of the class, and they might be able to tell you whether or not you would. If they don't care, and just want your money, I might look elsewhere.

Oh, and did someone mention to look into medical training?

...and also add to that a good mindset class would be great too. I've not taken the NRA's Refuse To Be A Victim, but it might be a good start (if you haven't already). The best gunfight is the one you can avoid.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bryceerron:
So, I have decided to take a rifle class and would like some advice in how I should go about searching for and selecting the program I will attend...

What I want the instruction to focus on is Defensive rifle and defensive Handgun use, preferably with both independently and together as a system...

Am I better off taking three classes (Rifle, Handgun, and Rifle + handgun) or do you feel that all three can effectively be covered in one class?

Any recommendations on specific classes would also be welcome, I would prefer close to where I live South FL, but I would be willing to travel for the right course if need be.
Thanks for the advice
View Quote
I'm bringing Robert "Bob" Keller back to Aucilla, FL (35 miles east of Tallahassee) April 2018. Trust me, it's worth the drive, we have people come from all over the state.

His carbine and pistol class is what you seek. You can learn more about what we do at Signal-0 and what Bob does with Gamut by looking at the links below.

Gamut Resolutions

Signal-0 Training
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mo4040:
Take a quality one or two day (or longer, if you can) pistol course as a start. Pistol skills transfer over to the carbine.

Another thing to consider:

You will most likely use a handgun in a situation (rather than a long gun).

Once you have a solid foundation with the pistol, get some basic carbine training and go from there.

View Quote
I have been through paramedic school. so Im good there but I do agree I have used those skills a good number of times.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:37:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bryceerron] [#7]
Originally Posted By echo5whiskey:

That's some truth, right there.

If you find a specific place to consider, try to find folks who have taken classes there. Find out how reputable they are. I'm not saying that you need to look for an instructor who is former Delta or DEVGRU, but just because someone took a couple courses does not necessarily mean that they have the knowledge and skillset to actually teach something like that. On the same token, just because someone has a laundry list of HSLD accomplishments, also does not necessarily mean that they have the skillset to teach. Not everyone is a good instructor, even if he or she has the knowledge. Ideally, you would want someone who can tell you the "why" and "how" instead of just regurgitating information (<my pet peeve with a lot of instructors I know). It would be even more ideal if he or she has some solid experience to back it up. You want to find a good balance of all of that. If he or she says that his or her way is THE BEST/THE ONLY way in every situation, that's a good sign that they aren't worth your time. I've yet to meet a good instructor who claimed that they no longer need to learn.

Make sure you check pre-requisites. A lot of instructors/facilities will require that you attend a basic course, either with them or somewhere that they recognize, before going tactical.

Contact them to see if they think you'd be a good fit. Good folks will want you to be able to keep up with the rest of the class, and they might be able to tell you whether or not you would. If they don't care, and just want your money, I might look elsewhere.

Oh, and did someone mention to look into medical training?

...and also add to that a good mindset class would be great too. I've not taken the NRA's Refuse To Be A Victim, but it might be a good start (if you haven't already). The best gunfight is the one you can avoid.
View Quote
I have been in the US Marines (as well as paramedic school) Im not sure if that counts as a basic rifle course they recognize or if its more of a "we want you to take OUR basic course". I feel my rifle skills are okay but I just want to brush up and get a little more specialized training then the military or static ranges offer.
I agree "how and Why" are important because not everything applies to every person and situation and the end user needs to be able to know what method and when to choose it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bryceerron:

I have been in the US Marines (as well as paramedic school) Im not sure if that counts as a basic rifle course they recognize or if its more of a "we want you to take OUR basic course".
View Quote
That's the crux right there. It all depends on the facility/instructor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top