Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2021 6:09:16 PM EDT
My 7 year old is getting great little shooter.  I've been mainly focusing on safety and fun.  We're going to an Appleseed one day shoot in a month.

He is right handed but left eye dominant.

What's the latest on how to train with that?  Cover his left eye?  Both eyes open?  Shoot left handed?

Just trying to figure out how to help.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I was born left eye/hand dominant.  Parents changed me to right hand when I was to young to complain.  I shoot rifles lefty and pistols I shoot right handed both eyes open.

Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I am right handed.

I was probably your son's age when my father figured out I was left eye dominant.

Shot everything left handed after that.

If you ever plan on doing wing-shooting or clays, he will need to do that left handed.  No depth perception one-eyed.  He has to shoot shotguns left handed.

You can do all sorts of work-arounds (patches etc.) for rifle shooting but he will not be able to shoot with both eyes open if he shoots right handed on a rifle.  This matters if you ever want to shoot running game or if you want peripheral vision while shooting.  

Hand-guns?  I shoot those left handed as well.  But, lots of people shoot with their dominant hand and change their stance/tilt their head/cant the gun so that the sights line-up with their dominant eye.  I do this when I practice with my "weak" hand (which is my strong side...whatever).

He's young, so I would set him up for success and go full lefty.  One of our boys is right handed/left eye dominant and that's what we did with him.  He's a (in true arfcom fashion) a self-described "dead shot."
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My 7 year old is getting great little shooter.  I've been mainly focusing on safety and fun.  We're going to an Appleseed one day shoot in a month.

What's the latest on how to train with that?  Cover his left eye?  Both eyes open?  Shoot left handed?

Thanks!
View Quote

Short answer?  Just have him shoot right-handed.  He'll do fine.

Long answer:  Being right- or left-eye dominant isn't a hardwired, permanent thing.  It's something our brains latch on to, but there is plasticity.  With enough time using your non-dominant eye, your brain will either learn to use EITHER eye, or even shift dominance entirely.  And at his age, he's even more plastic than us old farts.  And even if his brain doesn't, he can still shoot really well with his non-dominant eye.  When I say "really well", I don't mean "maybe OK, I guess", I mean he can shoot REALLY WELL.

Like I said, brains are plastic in this.  A heck of a lot more plastic than they are with trying to switch hand-dominance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
My boy is the same. All sports growing up were played right handed but he shoots expert as a lefty.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm the same.  Fought with it for years.  Let it be and skip all the gadgets.  Tried all kinds of things, but my shooting is best when I shoot handguns right-handed, left-eyed, in a goofy stance that drives instructors crazy.  I shoot long guns and bows left-handed.  My son is the same and weirdly, my wife and two daughters are left-handed and right-eye dominant.  We know a bit about the subject.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Left handed, right eye dominant. Learned to shoot rifles, shotguns, pistols right handed. Just seemed normal and was before I knew about right eye dominance. And the fact that the rifles I shot were rh. Later on I trained myself to shoot pistol with either hand. My solution was this; simply move the gun over in front of my right eye when shooting lefty pistol. Head up, shoulders down and relaxed, both eyes open. Has worked for me for many years.

I see instances of cross dominance often in first timers classes. I give the students the option to try shooting with both hands to see which they prefer. Some have trained to shoot lefty/lefty or righty/righty. Others have simply done the gun shift using dominant hand and dominant eye. Try the options and see what your son/shooter likes best, or is more comfortable with. With new shooters the time to try both hands is as early as possible.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Left handed, right eye dominant. Learned to shoot rifles, shotguns, pistols right handed. Just seemed normal and was before I knew about right eye dominance. And the fact that the rifles I shot were rh. Later on I trained myself to shoot pistol with either hand. My solution was this; simply move the gun over in front of my right eye when shooting lefty pistol. Head up, shoulders down and relaxed, both eyes open. Has worked for me for many years.

I see instances of cross dominance often in first timers classes. I give the students the option to try shooting with both hands to see which they prefer. Some have trained to shoot lefty/lefty or righty/righty. Others have simply done the gun shift using dominant hand and dominant eye. Try the options and see what your son/shooter likes best, or is more comfortable with. With new shooters the time to try both hands is as early as possible.
View Quote

This is probably the best approach. Let them choose, then stick to it and hammer the reps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Long answer:  Being right- or left-eye dominant isn't a hardwired, permanent thing.  It's something our brains latch on to, but there is plasticity.  With enough time using your non-dominant eye, your brain will either learn to use EITHER eye, or even shift dominance entirely.  And at his age, he's even more plastic than us old farts.  And even if his brain doesn't, he can still shoot really well with his non-dominant eye.  When I say "really well", I don't mean "maybe OK, I guess", I mean he can shoot REALLY WELL.

Like I said, brains are plastic in this.  A heck of a lot more plastic than they are with trying to switch hand-dominance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I would think the opposite from your take. Maybe your right, I dont know. But my dominate eye has always been my dominate eye.

But I write left handed, skate board goofy foot.
Throw and bat right handed, started boxing left handed and switched to right. My left hook and my jab have always been money. Being coached at a young age in different sports/activities on different sides it all feels natural to me doing the task at hand with the side ive become accustomed to.

Could be Im a mish-mash tard with strong side weak side. ill give you that.

With his kid being so young he can easily be trained and gain reps in weapons handling to feel natural on the left side.

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would think the opposite from your take. Maybe your right, I dont know. But my dominate eye has always been my dominate eye.

Throw and bat right handed, started boxing left handed and switched to right. My left hook and my jab have always been money. Being coached at a young age in different sports/activities on different sides it all feels natural to me doing the task at hand with the side ive become accustomed to.

With his kid being so young he can easily be trained and gain reps in weapons handling to feel natural on the left side.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Me too.  I've always been right handed and very left eye dominant and mostly right-handed.  Barring an injury to my left eye I don't see that changing.  

I will say there is one exception to my shooting left handed and that is with a j-frame snubbie.  Right handed works better for reloads and the sights are sort of an after thought.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top