Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2021 8:41:59 AM EDT
Is there any place on ar15.com that has land navigation discussions?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/General-Outdoor-Discussions/1/

Start here and if you do not see what you want start the thread
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
@Scout1502

What are you looking for? Basic info or debate between UTM and Lat/ long or pace count variations or lensatic vs baseplate?

I just set up and ran a course for some friends. We used a mix of compasses and printed out 1:24,000 maps with UTM grids.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Mostly wanted to have a place to go and help people out with land navigation. Military style. And a debate. Because that’s always fun. But it seems like it’s not a thing here. Soooooo. Guess we can see how it goes.

Like for instance. I learned baseplate compass land nav in the boy scouts. Then learned military style while in the army. Having done both. I prefer the military style. I prefer it because the knowledge is hard to break. Unlike a plastic baseplate compass. Now I know a lensatic can break. But damn it’s hard as heck to do that. Especially when one takes of his/her equipment like your taught. And ultimately keeps you on point with thinking more. And it’s more fun. Having to do map reconnaissance and plan out routes with a protractor. And plotting. Plotting just makes plan sense. Who wouldn’t want to plot 8 digit grids. LOL
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Scout1502

What are you looking for? Basic info or debate between UTM and Lat/ long or pace count variations or lensatic vs baseplate?

I just set up and ran a course for some friends. We used a mix of compasses and printed out 1:24,000 maps with UTM grids.
View Quote

Have you tried caltopo.com. I use it to get free maps i print out on my computer. I scale it to %100  before printing. I use a 1:25,000 scale because a military protractor of course has plotter triangle for it. I use 1:50,000 to sometimes. But mostly the smaller scale. More detail. Especially when working in a small area.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you tried caltopo.com. I use it to get free maps i print out on my computer. I scale it to %100  before printing. I use a 1:25,000 scale because a military protractor of course has plotter triangle for it. I use 1:50,000 to sometimes. But mostly the smaller scale. More detail. Especially when working in a small area.
View Quote

I have looked at them, but haven’t used them. So far it’s been USGS quads, hence the 1:24,000 UTM.  I’ve got protractors for various scales.

I’m currently looking for some existing courses.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:03:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Our local guys who head up volunteer search and rescue on the trails hold a LandNav course a few times a year. I took a course thru green eye tactical in 19'. Both were great, but you really got to get out there and practice to get good at certain things.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I should say, I’m looking for some existing physical land nav/ orienteering courses to use. It’s a bit of work setting one up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top