BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:48:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CozumelSteve] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By strawberry_snaps:
I've done BJJ and I'm doing KM now. I cannot tell you how much I love KM. In BJJ, they taught for competitions. I don't give a shit about competing; I needed to learn to protect myself and my family. I've been doing KM for about 3 months and I've learned more in those 3 months than I did in the entire year of training in BJJ. The quality of training is much better as well as the students/partners. The guys don't take it easy on me. Pain is a great educator and the coaches use it to help you learn. I'm toning up in all the right ways. I am learning how to throw well placed punches and kicks.

I'm training at one of the best KM gyms in Texas. The coaches have all asked me to take the level test this weekend even though I'm still fairly new. All of the coaches do a fantastic job of talking through addressing threats, maintaining mind set and such.

If you can find a great gym, DO IT!

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 6:17:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joker581] [#2]
Edited-joker581
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Is IKMF legit?  Just wondering because that is the only one i could find in the Fort Worth area
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know anything about these guys?

http://kravmagarevolution.com/about
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:54:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savoy5] [#5]
Short answer. Yes. IKMF is a legit organization known the world over.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:57:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savoy5] [#6]

Is IKMF legit?  Just wondering because that is the only one i could find in the Fort Worth area
View Quote
Short answer. Yes. IKMF is a legit organization known the world over.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By PhillyandBCEagles:

Anyone know anything about these guys?

http://kravmagarevolution.com/about
View Quote
I've been a practitioner of KM for three years. Also a retired LEO. Military/LE Krav Maga that the IDF teaches, deals with weapons disarms, more specifically military style long guns including shotguns. It also deals with handcuffing and other techniques dealing with LE. Civilain style KM will teach you handgun and knife disarms. Many instructors will not teach military/LE disarms unless you are in the military or an LEO. I never heard of that organization. I would do some more research, compare with other known world recognized KM orgs. on what they teach at each level or belt. They all have their own flavor but all are pretty consistent in the philosophy and techniques. Then go and ask a lot of questions. Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the best way I describe Krav Maga is it takes a natural reaction to an attack and modifies it with a counter attack. I believe it's very practical. I have studied other traditional styles and KM is about surviving. It's also great for getting you in shape fast. No there isn't a lot of ground fighting. They teach you to get up a fun get away. Take some BJJ along with KM and you're good to go.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jbombelli:
I'm not that familiar with Krav Maga, but I've seen a little bit here and there.  I was less-than-impressed with the knife defenses.  The couple of demonstrations I saw involved the knifer over-committing to a single attack, no combinations, and the defender used (exclusively) 90 degree forearm blocks with a counter attack.

Those 90 degree forearm blocks might work if your opponent doesn't know what he's doing, but if he has half a clue and inverts his blade (or uses a double-edge knife), you will likely end up with your arms cut to the bone and your body going into shock.  Not a good thing.  

Then again, every style has its weaknesses.  This is what jumped out at me based on my extremely limited experience with it.  And I must emphasize extremely limited.

View Quote

How many attackers with a knife actually do know what they are doing?  How likely are you to encounter such an attacker?

Honest questions, not trying to stir the pot
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:44:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BrandonP] [#10]
Originally Posted By PBIR:
There is very little real KM instruction in the US and it is not suitable for sport use.
View Quote

Old thread but in case anyone's interested still...

Can speak a little bit to differences - "learned" krav involuntarily in the IDF late 2000s (in an airborne infantry unit, non-SOF - I'm sure they learn more intricate things), and went to a few classes and seminars in the US. I'm by no means a professional in any way, in krav maga or any other martial art...

In Israel you did a couple types of krav maga - krav maga "techni" (technical) and krav maga "aggresivut" (aggression training). Nearly all of our training was the latter. In terms of technical training, it was much different than US classes that focus on unarmed and disarms. There was some *VERY* basic stuff on disarms but most of that focused on parrying knife attacks with your rifle. Why? Because you're a Soldier and you carry a rifle. There was also a smaller amount of emphasis on unarmed strikes...most strikes were performed with the rifle against a sleeping bag held by a partner. Occasionally in the technical classes you would spar with a partner but it wasn't like technical sparring - usually had an objective (pull the other person across this line, push across that line). Occasionally we'd pad up and go at each other 100% force but the padding was hilarious and honestly it was a bit much. In the aggression training classes, a krav instructor takes turns either beating on you or making you beat on yourself through stress positions, sprints, crawling on a gymnasium floor covered in bird shit, tells you to tense your abs and gives you a bunch of kick, that kind of thing. That training was designed to get you used to getting hit. It definitely worked pretty well.

I can see why people think it's basically the Essential Oils of martial arts...it's not really a martial art. Is it useful? Probably better than nothing. I do think though that the aggression training portion is critical if not more important from a mental resiliency standpoint. I don't know if they do this in the US, but I have a hard time thinking anybody would pay to sign up for it...it is not fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks. Wish this thread would re-invigorate.

There is a subset of men here who would very much like to learn 'real world' self defense techniques; especially if they can be learned and executed by those who are physically 'compromised', due to injuries/age or a combination of those. There are many for whom it is impractical to practice BJJ and the like.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 2:02:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everythingisawesome] [#12]
Originally Posted By CoolEarl:
Thanks. Wish this thread would re-invigorate.

There is a subset of men here who would very much like to learn 'real world' self defense techniques; especially if they can be learned and executed by those who are physically 'compromised', due to injuries/age or a combination of those. There are many for whom it is impractical to practice BJJ and the like.
View Quote

Hand-to-hand combat is physically demanding.  That's why pro fighters are typically in incredible shape.  It's also why weapons are the great equalizer.

There's no magic secrets
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Was in martial arts for 7 years with my son. Our GM taught MA to Korean special forces before coming to the US. He did a lot of competition fighting in the US and had a slew of trophies to prove it. One of our instructors was my FTO when I was a reserve and it was a blast to catch up with him again.

A lot of what we were taught was a competitive type of fighting with practical techniques added in. Getting hands on physical was the best part of it. You learn your limitations and strengths and how an adversary moves. Sparring with guys that have 20+ years in MA is definitely educational.  

My son had to have spinal fusion at 14 years old because of scoliosis so we quit. Later he took KM classes for a few months. If we were to do it again KM would likely provide more practical skills and training than traditional MA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been doing KM for a few months and just passed my level 1 test.  I've really been enjoying it, and it seems reasonably practical, and is great exercise.  

It's not a particularly subtle art, and size and strength are definite advantages.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top