Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2019 12:09:51 PM EDT
My GF and I are going to an "intro to Kali" class today. All I know about Kali is from when I saw Bruce Lee kick Kali dude's ass in Game of Death. Does anyone have any experience? What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
is the class taught by Dan Inosanto?
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It will keel!
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:36:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DookieNeck] [#3]
"is the class taught by Dan Inosanto?"

Ha! No.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Where are the pics of said girlfriend?
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DookieNeck:
My GF and I are going to an "intro to Kali" class today. All I know about Kali is from when I saw Bruce Lee kick Kali dude's ass in Game of Death. Does anyone have any experience? What are your thoughts?
View Quote
You in Mn?
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By topgunshooter:
Where are the pics of said girlfriend?
View Quote
The only one's I have are in my spank bank and NSFA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By abud:
You in Mn?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
You in Mn?
Nope.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Nope.
View Quote
ok.  the reason i asked is because the Minnesota Kali Group is hosting an intro to Kali class today.  Kali is fun.  I prefer the knife work to stick work as the sticks can get monotonous.  but they are foundation for so much that you don't have a choice.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
ok.  the reason i asked is because the Minnesota Kali Group is hosting an intro to Kali class today.  Kali is fun.  I prefer the knife work to stick work as the sticks can get monotonous.  but they are foundation for so much that you don't have a choice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nope.
Cool. From the small amount I've read about it, it seems to have some practical applications.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#10]
how was your class?  which practical applications are you hoping for?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I have about 10 classes under my belt and I am enjoying it very much so far.

I agree with the previous poster the stick work gets monotonous but it translates to the knife work well so far.

The knife work we have done is very practical and really drives home that I NEVER want to get stabbed/be in a knife fight.

We have done some very minimal introduction to sparring with soft sticks and treating the sticks as blades.  The light sparring dramatically puts things in perspective for me as you do not want to be touched at all!  I am a bigger guy and in the past would be fine with getting in close to fight, but getting in close to someone who knows how to use an edged weapon is bad news. I’m not in super good cardio shape and the sparring wears me out.

I’ve barely scratched surface but I’m enjoying it very much.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Plenty of years.  My teacher trained with Fong, and he is tight with Dan.  Kali improves eye hand coordination.  Do it if the instructor has good lineage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top