Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2021 11:30:12 AM EDT
I recently came across the Modern Samurai training videos on YouTube and thought they were really interesting.

Anybody go to those trainings?  Thinking about signing up and if anyone has any feedback on them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven’t managed to make it to a course when he’s been local but I know like 6 guys that have and they all had very good things to say about it. And some of those guys are curmudgeon as fuck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I took a small private two day Class in September from Jedlinski and really enjoyed it. There were six of us in the class so we all got a lot of time with Scott and we were able to cover a lot of material.

Scott will demo what he is talking about and give you the "why" behind what he teaches. He is an excellent instructor. I started shooting USPSA in the mid 90's so I have been shooting a pistol for awhile. I took several things from Scotts class that changed the way I shoot and made me measurably better.

If you can take one of his classes I suggest you do it. You will learn and you will have a good time.

Man on Man shootoff final for a prize. Draw to a hit on the C-Zone Steel. I'm on the left. I won and got a Blue Alpha belt system.

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I’ve been through the course twice, and plan on doing it again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#4]
I'm convinced, just signed up!

Any tips?

I signed up for the red dot class.  Planning on using a Glock 19 w/ RMR a Sig P365xl w/ HS507k as a backup.

Is it better to use a OWB or AIWB holster?

Did you really go through 1000 rounds of ammo?
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By matai:
I'm convinced, just signed up!

Any tips?

I signed up for the red dot class.  Planning on using a Glock 19 w/ RMR a Sig P365xl w/ HS507k as a backup.

Is it better to use a OWB or AIWB holster?

Did you really go through 1000 rounds of ammo?
View Quote

Go AIWB if you carry that way.   In fact go appendix even if you don't because Scott will convince you it's better by the end of class.  Lol.   Kidding, but not really.  He is open to either method but he is a proponent of appendix carry and teaches techniques specific to the carry method, although you will get a lot from the class either way.

I took his 2 day red dot class in 2018.   My notes show I fired 418 rounds for the class.   However I recommend always bringing more ammo to classes than the requirements ask for because the last thing you want is to leave learning opportunities on the table because you ran out of ammo.  I probably brought 1500.  

Good class as others have said.   I was coming from defensive and tactical training side of the house and this was my first real exposure to understanding speed as a side effect of efficiency.   He is not teaching defensive tactics at this class and freely admits that isn't his wheelhouse.   But everything he does teach is entirely relevant to being a better shooter regardless of your goal.   And man, he is a beast at what he teaches and will demo everything to show you that it is possible!   Very humble and cool guy to boot.   Have fun!
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been through Scott's CCW class once, and his "Red Dot" class twice.  I would highly recommend the 3 day class set if you can take it.  The only people in the classes that I attended who did NOT carry AIWB were LEO's who were breaking in red dot techniques on their duty gear.  I got close to 1,000 rounds.  Don't be "that guy," Put in new batteries and ZERO your freakin' dot with the ammo you are going to be shooting before the class.  Just sayin'.  I will take the class again if it is in my area again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#7]
My class is next weekend.

I have a Sig P365xl with a Holosun 507k that I carry most often in a Vedder AIWB holster.

I also have a Glock 19 w/ RMR that I carry less often with a T-Rex Arms sidecar AIWB holster.

I plan on bringing both but which one would you all suggest to shoot?

Also, I haven't been practicing my draw a lot lately.  Should I go in there rusty or practice a bunch first?

I want to be as malleable as possible.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By matai:
My class is next weekend.

I have a Sig P365xl with a Holosun 507k that I carry most often in a Vedder AIWB holster.

I also have a Glock 19 w/ RMR that I carry less often with a T-Rex Arms sidecar AIWB holster.

I plan on bringing both but which one would you all suggest to shoot?

Also, I haven't been practicing my draw a lot lately.  Should I go in there rusty or practice a bunch first?

I want to be as malleable as possible.

Thanks
View Quote

I'm a huge proponent of training with what you primarily carry as much as possible.

I would go in rusty on the draw assuming your rusty means you're still competent and safe.    He likely will cause you to reevaluate and rebuild your draw anyway if it's your first class with him.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got done with the class, it was amazing, will write up an AAR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top