Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2020 1:18:22 PM EDT
Thought of the day......

(Greta Thunberg types need not apply......lol)

Anyone used stacked tires as either barriers ( not back stop) something like walls and such to shoot around, make maze to circumvent thru etc ? I have access to as many used tires as i want, seems easy enough to stack up, etc.

Not sure if i want to use tires, once id get them,for free, theyd be impossible to get rid of.

Thoughts ? Pics if youve done this?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Stack them offset filled with dirt? Like tire hesco?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
More like in place of barrels, etc. stack them 5-6’ tall , use for cover , shoot from around them, etc. can have multi stacks that would be like narrow hallway simulator,etc
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
if you're looking for something to use for a visual barrier, plastic sheeting or thin plywood on a frame are considerations

there is a down-side though: wind.  it acts like a sail when wind picks up. sandbags are an easy solution for that

tires would be overly difficult to arrange or re-arrange. and as you stated, they're not easy to dispose of

eta: you would also have to construct some sort of method to prevent the tires from falling. stacked tires are not stable
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I would just spend the coin for old poly bbls.   The first time you try and move a stack of tires you’ll wonder why you didn’t get bbls.

Tires also hold water, skeeters love that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, reason why im torn on the subject, my plan was to build  VTAC wall and still may. Also want to work on “elevated” positions as my property is perfect for this type of shooting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea, reason why im torn on the subject, my plan was to build  VTAC wall and still may. Also want to work on “elevated” positions as my property is perfect for this type of shooting.
View Quote
staggered walls are super-easy to make, and one sheet will make two walls

what did you mean by elevated? do you mean elevated terrain? buildings?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have ridges that are over 200’ tall  all around on my gun range, steep angles.

Ive got an atv trail going to the upper ridge, i can look down at my range,

All steel is angled down, so elevated position would exaggerate this ( ‘mo safer)

I just havent done it yet, lol. The joys of your own range, can go when ya want but i actually didnt shoot much last year, hoping to fix that this year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't built any yet, but they're on my list.

Previous owners (going back to the 40s or 50s) disposed of dozens of tires over the years. Sizes go from 13" compact car to 10x20 truck.

My plan was to build staggered walls filled with dirt and anchored with rebar. Right now I have wood barricades and plastic barrels, but I think tire walls will last longer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have ridges that are over 200’ tall  all around on my gun range, steep angles.

Ive got an atv trail going to the upper ridge, i can look down at my range,

All steel is angled down, so elevated position would exaggerate this ( ‘mo safer)

I just havent done it yet, lol. The joys of your own range, can go when ya want but i actually didnt shoot much last year, hoping to fix that this year.
View Quote
cool
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top