Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2019 10:59:02 PM EDT
So I’ve picked up the LASR system. From concealed I’m hitting a 2.0 to 2.3 with every once and awhile getting below 2 seconds. I’m wondering for a beginner if that’s good? I use the Wilson combat edcx9 and with safety on. I’m about 7 yards away. I was told I needed to be less than a second drawing from concealed to hit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#1]
That sounds normal for a beginner.

Sub-second from concealment is hero mode.

Drawing consistently from concealment at 1.5 or lower and always hitting your grip perfectly is a reasonable goal.

Remove concealment as a requirement and I think you should be at 1 second or lower.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wtturn:
That sounds normal for a beginner.

Sub-second from concealment is hero mode.

Drawing consistently from concealment at 1.5 or lower and always hitting your grip perfectly is a reasonable goal.

Remove concealment as a requirement and I think you should be at 1 second or lower.
View Quote
Thanks for the response. Quickest time was at 1.79. I think the safety may be slowing draw time but I don’t know if even so if I’ll get below 1.5. Concealed. That’s insanely fast. My hats off to those who do.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jinxsters:

Thanks for the response. Quickest time was at 1.79. I think the safety may be slowing draw time but I don’t know if even so if I’ll get below 1.5. Concealed. That’s insanely fast. My hats off to those who do.
View Quote
Clicking the safety off won't slow you down once it gets ingrained.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is how to improve your draw time.

Try to listen and react to the start of the beep, most shot timers have a beep that lasts .30 seconds.  If you are waiting for the beep to be over you are already loosing.

First work on reaction time only.  Have your timer on your belt were your holster would be, at the beep move your hand to the timer and slap it as fast as you can.

Second, with your gun holstered, at the beep move your hand to the gun and establish a grip as fast as you can, do not draw, just get a grip.  You should also be moving your support hand to a midpoint in front of your body.

Then start with a grip on your holstered gun, support hand at midpoint, and at the beep draw the gun and bring it to where your support hand will make contact and join the grip, do not come up to eye level or aim.   As you can see we are breaking the process into sections.

Last, start with the gun at the point of your draw when your support hand joins the grip, and at the beep come up to eye level and get an appropriate sight picture and dry fire.

You can establish par times for each step, and work on small improvements on each one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jinxsters] [#5]
Originally Posted By SJan:
Here is how to improve your draw time.

Try to listen and react to the start of the beep, most shot timers have a beep that lasts .30 seconds.  If you are waiting for the beep to be over you are already loosing.

First work on reaction time only.  Have your timer on your belt were your holster would be, at the beep move your hand to the timer and slap it as fast as you can.

Second, with your gun holstered, at the beep move your hand to the gun and establish a grip as fast as you can, do not draw, just get a grip.  You should also be moving your support hand to a midpoint in front of your body.

Then start with a grip on your holstered gun, support hand at midpoint, and at the beep draw the gun and bring it to where your support hand will make contact and join the grip, do not come up to eye level or aim.   As you can see we are breaking the process into sections.

Last, start with the gun at the point of your draw when your support hand joins the grip, and at the beep come up to eye level and get an appropriate sight picture and dry fire.

You can establish par times for each step, and work on small improvements on each one.
View Quote
I know i'm losing time at the initial beep. I have the beep at random times, between 5 and 25 seconds, so I don't know when it's going to go off. As soon as I hear it I'm unconcealing and going for the draw. The beep comes from the computer inside my house to practice my draw and shot time.

I haven't transitioned to outside, draw, and fire drills yet. I'm in the process of building my range. I have half open field and half in the woods. I need to remove trees, but we have a tick problem, and I'm waiting for a good frost over before I venture out and start cutting the trees to get some random weird disease from a tick. I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:22:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everythingisawesome] [#6]
Originally Posted By Jinxsters:

I know i'm losing time at the initial beep. I have the beep at random times, between 5 and 25 seconds, so I don't know when it's going to go off. As soon as I hear it I'm unconcealing and going for the draw. The beep comes from the computer inside my house to practice my draw and shot time.

I haven't transitioned to outside, draw, and fire drills yet. I'm in the process of building my range. I have half open field and half in the woods. I need to remove trees, but we have a tick problem, and I'm waiting for a good frost over before I venture out and start cutting the trees to get some random weird disease from a tick. I'm working on it.
View Quote
If you're spending 5-25 seconds waiting for the beep, you're spending most of your dryfire time NOT drawing.  Increase your reps, decrease the delay time, and spend more time handling your gun.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Worry more about getting a good hit and a quick second shot. The draw will get better in time. You only make 4-5 draws in a match. Look at the overall and see what 5 seconds will do. Probably not much, get your hits first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top