Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2020 10:53:42 AM EDT
Still slow, I know.  Open to any suggestions.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You're not worried about Tex Grebnering your ballsack?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:
View Quote

Haha, no.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:
View Quote

Do you not practice shooting from a holster?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Group9] [#4]
Jim Zubiena says, you're okay, but he's seen faster.

Miami Vice Jim Zubiena Mozambique drill scene
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:31:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankDrebin] [#5]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

Do you not practice shooting from a holster?
View Quote

I do, but always a strong side draw.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Group9:
Jim Zubiena says, you're okay, but he's seen faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXv8IepBVJQ
View Quote

I cannot be held to these standards!
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't carry AIWB so I'll keep it high level. It looks pretty good to me, for whatever that's worth.

As a general matter, I try to maximize speed early in the draw, then slow down in the final few inches of presentation onto the target. I find that-that throttling down process right before you break the first shot ensures you have at least a decent gross sight picture, while you aren't losing time on the net thanks to the speed with which you drew and began pressing the pistol out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
I don't carry AIWB so I'll keep it high level. It looks pretty good to me, for whatever that's worth.

As a general matter, I try to maximize speed early in the draw, then slow down in the final few inches of presentation onto the target. I find that-that throttling down process right before you break the first shot ensures you have at least a decent gross sight picture, while you aren't losing time on the net thanks to the speed with which you drew and began pressing the pistol out.
View Quote

Interesting, makes a lot of sense.  I'll play with it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:23:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PineappleDevil] [#9]
Your draw is a 1...2...3...4 type. What I mean by that is that you basically have a hard stop in your steps before starting the next step in the draw and presentation. Be a little more overlapping and fluid. You go through the majority process of grabbing your shirt and pulling up before you move your strong hand to reach for the grip. Move both hands together and have your strong hand already at the gun when your shirt comes up.

You have your gun half way extended before applying your support hand.

You have fully extended arms before having the gun in your sight picture. That's because you're bowling the gun up to your sight picture instead of initially bringing the gun up to your chest where your support hand will meet the grip, then you continue to rise to your sight picture and proceed to extend.

Stance, hand position, and arms look great.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PineappleDevil:
Your draw is a 1...2...3...4 type. What I mean by that is that you basically have a hard stop in your steps before starting the next step in the draw and presentation. Be a little more overlapping and fluid. You go through the majority process of grabbing your shirt and pulling up before you move your strong hand to reach for the grip. Move both hands together and have your strong hand already at the gun when your shirt comes up.
https://i.imgur.com/0LdqYgI.png

https://i.imgur.com/0TvqDbT.png

You have your gun half way extended before applying your support hand.
https://i.imgur.com/saZ8CZL.png

You have fully extended arms before having the gun in your sight picture. That's because you're bowling the gun up to your sight picture instead of initially bringing the gun up to your chest where your support hand will meet the grip, then you continue to rise to your sight picture and proceed to extend.

Stance, hand position, and arms look great.
View Quote

Awesome!  Thank you for taking the time to go through that.  Really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Another thing that would help, especially with a red dot, but also with irons, is to quit turtling your head and shoulders. That shoulder roll and head tuck and the end is unnecessary and tacks unnecessary time on at the end of your presentation. Stay upright, with neutral shoulders and lift the gun to your eyes, as opposed to putting the gun at a point in space and then parking your head behind it.

If you have problems finding the dot (I'm not saying you do), this is likely causing it. Look at THE POINT of the target you're trying to hit, and then present the gun between your eyes and target. It's considerably faster and much more natural and repeatable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CSAkuklos:
Another thing that would help, especially with a red dot, but also with irons, is to quit turtling your head and shoulders. That shoulder roll and head tuck and the end is unnecessary and tacks unnecessary time on at the end of your presentation. Stay upright, with neutral shoulders and lift the gun to your eyes, as opposed to putting the gun at a point in space and then parking your head behind it. 

If you have problems finding the dot (I'm not saying you do), this is likely causing it. Look at THE POINT of the target you're trying to hit, and then present the gun between your eyes and target. It's considerably faster and much more natural and repeatable.
View Quote

This is big. I just finished a three day class with Scott Jedlinski...good stuff. I was always taught to hunch down, lock out...All wrong. I will need work to change it and relax.
Also, go for your shirt at around the belly button area every time and pull straight up to sternum. Don’t try to get under hem of shirt because every shirt is different. The belly button stays.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Bring the sight to your eyes, don’t move your head down to your sights. That helped me a lot. Dryfire draws with a par time on a shot timer just continually presenting the optic so your dot comes into your view without moving your head.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:26:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlessrat] [#14]
A little old, but what I see:

Hands are moving separately at the start. If you can focus on grabbing the shirt faster, while keeping the other hand in synch for grabbing the grip, I've found the faster you move that support hand, the faster your hand reaches the pistol. It needs to be SLIGHTLY slower so that the shirt is clear, but not much...key I've found for this step is: Faster support hand leads to Faster grip.

Support hand pulls up shirt, then takes the time to push it back down. As soon as the shirt is clear, that job is done. Let go, and begin transitioning to the grip, which should already be started pushing out (avoiding the big no-no of letting the support hand get in front).

As other mention, bring everything up to eye level...I like it as early as comfortably possible. I've had situations (fortunately only in competition) where the demand for getting first shots on target had me firing while still pushing out...since everything was already high enough to see the sights, I was still getting good hits. Did lousy in most of the rest of the competition, but did well on that round!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top