Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2021 5:04:02 PM EDT
Crisis Medicine

I am a licensed armed security officer in Florida, and am looking for a course that will teach me the basics that I should probably already know. Has anyone ever had any experience with the above school and would you recommend it to someone in my position?

TIA
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 5:21:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
Stop the bleed class

Then look at the CNA and Nursing classes at your community college.

You could do EMT training but a Nursing degree opens a lot more doors.

Join Air Guard or Army Guard in the Medical unit …
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Stop the bleed class

Then look at the CNA and Nursing classes at your community college.

You could do EMT training but a Nursing degree opens a lot more doors.

Join Air Guard or Army Guard in the Medical unit …
View Quote

That all would've worked well about 20 years ago maybe, but I am just about to turn 60 and I have been diagnosed with low grade lymphoma, which I am in treatment for.

I am basically looking for something to better prepare me in the event I have to deal with trauma on the job. A little late in the game to be considering a career change. I am doing my best to get requalified in some ICS stuff and may upgrade my ham ticket to get current, but for medical stuff I am looking at being proficient with the kit I already carry.

I did a lot of this all years ago when we thought maybe Florida was going to do a State Guard unit, but it never came to pass. sgaus.org is a good resource for a general idea of what an actual militia activation at the state level might entail. I did work a critical infrastructure post way back in the day, right after 9/11. To say there were training deficiencies would be an understatement.

There's a lot more resources available now than there were then. But medical stuff is seriously lacking.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a quick update to the course. I went ahead and did the TECC course at crisis medicine and I found it to be very thorough and informative. Dr. Shertz is an 18d and has btdt and his instruction reflects that. I have done video courses before in tccc but never felt confident that I actually gained the necessary knowledge to do this in the field. The course made me confident that I have a clear understanding of what needs to be done in an emergency situation. That made this course well worth the money to me. It also only focused on what someone in my position would be doing if this ever happened to me in the real world. So the signal to noise ratio is very good, and specific to what I might be able to do.

Sorry for the formatting but I am posting this on the phone. Thanks Dr. Shertz.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Late to the party here, but just wanted to chime in and give another bit of praise for Crisis Medicine in case someone else cruised by here looking for resources.  

Great curriculum and instruction from a really, really qualified individual who's been there and done that.  I'm totally unaffiliated with anyone at CM and have never even met anyone affiliated with them, but I've paid out of pocket for the training they offer and will do so again.  

Their training is certified by several outside bodies (CAPCE, etc) in case that matters to any professionals out there.  Legit.  Highly recommended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top